Instrumental metal suggestions.....

• Thread starter FILTHnFEAR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I still love death metal screamed/growled vocals, but I'd like to hear some of that kind of music without the vocals. I guess 20+ years of listening to them relentlessly has caught up to me.

I've heard songs like Shoals from Humanity's Last Breath and I, the Destroyer from Monuments as guitar play throughs without the vocals before I heard the album tracks and loved them. Then listened to the actual album tracks and wasn't AS into them as the instrumentals. Not that the vocals are bad in any way. I just think some of those type of bands have enough going on with the instruments that the vocals aren't an absolute necessity and I'd like to hear some stuff like that. Just my opinion. Kind of like a Keith Merrow vibe.

So suggest me some type of instrumental melodic/tech/djent/death or any combination thereof type of bands. I like leads/solos so not ruling that out, but I'm not looking for any non-stop shred fests either. Doesn't have to super fast, though that's cool too. Doesn't have to be overly complex, though that's cool too. Just as long as it jams.

I know you guys got some stuff for me. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
blotted science is the main one I know about

Dark Tranquillity have a couple of instrumental tracks like this one:

InfestedRabite

Reaction score

best videogame cover / prog metal crossover going, even if that sounds like the nerdiest lamest thing ever when i put it like that

tracks are bangin though, great melody work without being a shredfest

Reaction score
Check out the band Tetrafusion, their first album is instrumental and along the lines of what you're looking for. The album is called Absolute Zero, here's one of my favorite songs off that album Tetrafusion - Dark Matter - YouTube

Asides from their first album, their second album is when they first implemented vocals, which were a bit of a miss for me on that album, but on their most recent album, which is actually a free to download EP, has some pretty good vocals on it, imo.

vgguru39

Reaction score
SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION. My band Thoren is instrumental brutal progressive death. A lot of hard work went into this and I'm quite proud of the result. Let us know what you think! Mixed and Mastered by Colin Marston.

TelegramSam

7-string Understudy
Reaction score
Time for the nubcaek to come in with a few suggestions - das me.

Paul Wardingham

Andy James

Jeff Loomis

Jason Becker

EDIT: I am aware you're not looking for "non-stop shred fests", but you gotta admit these are GOOOOD shred fests ;)

')