Instrumental metal suggestions.....

• Thread starter FILTHnFEAR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Forever Becoming and Memorial are just the more straightforward and heavy of their stuff I guess...?

I feel the exact opposite, actually. While I really like Memorial, I feel like it had less direction and definable moments than past albums. It felt a lot more ambient and fluid than say Station or Enter.

Example (obviously a bit exaggerated by using the most solid points from each album, but it still illustrates my point):

vs.

And with Pelican, I just prefer their older stuff. City of Echoes is one of my favorite albums of all time, so it's hard to top that :lol:

EDIT: Also throwing Canvas Solaris into the mix:

Im fairly sure one of the guitarists is a member here

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Canvas Solaris come to mind, they shifted too hard into prog territory on later releases but I remember Sublimation being solid.

vgguru39

Reaction score
Thanks for the support beerandbeards! Help me spread the word! :yesway: Already working on the follow up with a live drummer. It's gonna be pretty cool.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Time for the nubcaek to come in with a few suggestions - das me.

Paul Wardingham

Andy James

Jeff Loomis

Jason Becker

Thanks, you saved me the trouble of linking all those videos! Exactly the set I was thinking lol. :yesway:

Rosal76

Reaction score
So suggest me some type of instrumental melodic/tech/djent/death or any combination thereof type of bands.

You might enjoy Christian Muenzner's 2 solo albums, "Timewarp" (2011) and "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" (2014). Christian is ex-Defeated Sanity, ex-Necrophagist, ex-Obscura, among others, current Spawn of possession and Alkaloid guitarist so he has a lot of death metal history in his career. There are a lot of musical styles on his 2 solo albums.

Christian claims (in the CD booklet) that this song has a lot of musical elements also found in Obscura.

One of my favorite tracks from his second album.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Damn. Some of these tracks have been awesome. Toundra has a really cool vibe, so does Save us from the Archon.

SKoG

Reaction score
A lot of good suggestions here. I haven't seen Adagio guitarist Stephan Forte's solo work mentioned yet.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score

best videogame cover / prog metal crossover going, even if that sounds like the nerdiest lamest thing ever when i put it like that

tracks are bangin though, great melody work without being a shredfest

Holy shit the album is cool.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score

Very, very cool indeed. Wasn't expecting that kind of suggestion, but yeah, give me more like that. :yesway:

Good stuff, especially The Young, dig that a lot.

Time for the nubcaek to come in with a few suggestions - das me.

Shredfests...Yes. Though very good indeed. In particular that Andy James, Holy Chit Mang! Non-stop awesome.

Angel Vivaldi?

Been a fan of Angel for a while. Good stuff for sure.

Also, props for the Avatar, Drew.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
awesome thread and very relevant to my interest as I am also constantly looking for instrumental metal.
The bands that I know and enjoy listening to have already been mentioned in this thread, so I have not much to add other than:

(SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION WARNING:)

I have an EP out with instrumental metal (free to stream and download):

https://larsbauer.bandcamp.com/

')