Instrumental space-prog synth metal from the future - Mix test

• Thread starter boobstastegreat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

boobstastegreat

Reaction score
Title literally says it all! We are finishing up the mixing process and I would love the community's feedback (positive and negative) on this intense mix. There is a lot going on here and I have become too close to the mix...it will be great to have some fresh ears.

Guitars and bass are resampled with axefx. Drums are ezdrummer2. Synths are mostly Dark Zebra.

Really appreciate you listening and commenting!

[sc] https://soundcloud.com/asleepinthestars/gliese-832c-arrival-mixtest [/sc]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redstone

Reaction score
I think the bass needs a bit more work, it's overly round. Great track btw

Warlus_Of_Doom

Reaction score
- I think the mix should sound a bit wider. Try experimenting with stereo spread and direction mixer plugins. Maybe try something like a ringshifter or a stereo tremolo plugin on the phaser-guitar part on 3:20.

- I felt that the mix lacked a bit on the bottom end. Multiband-compressor on the master channel could fix that, and you could also use it to get some more low-end punch.

- Overall the mix sounds a bit dry. Adding more reverb and delay tastefully would do it good.

I liked the song a lot! Well arranged!

boobstastegreat

Reaction score
Thank you, Anti leviathan, redstone, and walrus of doom, for your comments -- I really appreciate your time and feedback.

I'll be playing around with the bass tone -- I do feel a lack of bottom end but I might try to fix that in mastering.

boobstastegreat

Reaction score
Bumping this one -- Looking for any thoughts on drum sounds, guitar tones, bass tone, how things sit in the mix, etc

jerm

Reaction score
pretty cool song. The drums can come up while the clean guitars can go down IMO.

vansinn

Reaction score
- I think the mix should sound a bit wider. Try experimenting with stereo spread and direction mixer plugins. Maybe try something like a ringshifter or a stereo tremolo plugin on the phaser-guitar part on 3:20.

- I felt that the mix lacked a bit on the bottom end. Multiband-compressor on the master channel could fix that, and you could also use it to get some more low-end punch.

- Overall the mix sounds a bit dry. Adding more reverb and delay tastefully would do it good.

I liked the song a lot! Well arranged!

As did I :agreed:
I agree on most of the above; however, I feel if more panning is used, just make sure not to loose center contents.

I also agree with jem that drums could use a Bit more, either simply level, or maybe level plus a touch more density, though I'm not sure what would be the best way of adding density, like compression.
For this arrangement, I would avoid using bass drone.

I disagree with taking the clean guitar down in level; keep it as is, it'll be just fine with more drum density, and just add a Bit more reverb, reflexions, or maybe better, a Dimension-C or -D effect.

He he, when is an album out? Available on CD?

boobstastegreat

Reaction score
As did I :agreed:
I agree on most of the above; however, I feel if more panning is used, just make sure not to loose center contents.

I also agree with jem that drums could use a Bit more, either simply level, or maybe level plus a touch more density, though I'm not sure what would be the best way of adding density, like compression.
For this arrangement, I would avoid using bass drone.

I disagree with taking the clean guitar down in level; keep it as is, it'll be just fine with more drum density, and just add a Bit more reverb, reflexions, or maybe better, a Dimension-C or -D effect.

He he, when is an album out? Available on CD?

Thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback. I'm going to play around with some of your ideas.

And yes, this song along with 8 others are being finished up now and the album will be coming out this year (in the next couple months). The project is called Asleep in the Stars with the album name "Stasis".

')