Interceptor Pro/ Loomis/ C-7/ Carvin

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm ready to make a purchase for my next 7 string (I have a GN RG7620) and have narrowed it down to the new tribal green Interceptor Pro 25.5", the Loomis FR, a C-7 FR (one with original floyd & emg's) and a custom Carvin. Lets compare :cool:

Agiles have great reviews and I'm pretty impressed by their value, so a big plus for this Interceptor... I sooo wish Rondo had the 25.5 in tribal red though; that 27" looks HOTTT.
The Interceptor seems to have the best upper fret access, neck-through, probably is the lightest out of all these prospective guitars, and looks great. My hands are TINY so regardless of how much 'getting used to' is required of the Loomis or C-7 scale, real wide stretches are probably out of the question......... right? If not, should I just get the red Interceptor anyway? :lol: Also, we've only heard good things about Kurt's customer service.

I prefer ebony or rosewood to maple fretboard (any sweat is no good on maple fb), flame/quilted top over satin, but these are still minor factors.
The C-7 FR looks flashy compared to the Loomis, but the Loomis sounds bigger and brighter due to its woods (which make it heavier too)... I'm guessing the playability of these two axes is extremely similar since all other specs are the same?
Not to mention the OFR which is a :nutkick: to the Interceptor...

What more needs to be said about the Loomis... everyone here owns one, and for good reason :lol:

A custom Carvin spec'd out like a C-7 FR would be a good $1500+, but with a licensed floyd and Carvin pickups. At least I'll have my 25.5" :squint: How would the quality compare to a production Schecter or Agile? Worth it? Maybe I should forget everything and save for a Petrucci 7 :bowdown:

Whatever the case, the instrument has to have a Gratification rating of 11 out of 10 (a plain great instrument, not just value for a reasonable price...) which is what I give the 7620 and my ol' 6 string Jackson Dinky (...freaking love those necks!!!). Any suggestions for other 7 strings w/ floyd are also welcome.

I'd greatly appreciate any input you guys can offer... any info on comparative build quality/ neck profile & width/ fretwork/ electronics etc. of these instruments and what, to you, is a hands down winner.

Expect a detailed review/ picstory upon arrival of the beast, it's the least I can do for the most helpful online community! :fawk:

Many thanks!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Before you mentioned your hands were small i was going to tell you to get the 27" scale version instead of the 25.5 for the interceptor :lol:

Anyways, i really like my loomis, its maple fretboard definatly looks really dirty all the time no matter how much i clean it. The loomis is also a really heavy guitar. I cant really say much about the others because i haven't played them, unless you count a c6; which i found to be extremely uncomfortable because its neck was too big. I have really big palms so i find the loomis really comfy. Some other small handed person on this board probably has a loomis as well, you should get there input. Sorry i couldnt help much.

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Before you mentioned your hands were small i was going to tell you to get the 27" scale version instead of the 25.5 for the interceptor :lol:

Anyways, i really like my loomis, its maple fretboard definatly looks really dirty all the time no matter how much i clean it. The loomis is also a really heavy guitar. I cant really say much about the others because i haven't played them, unless you count a c6; which i found to be extremely uncomfortable because its neck was too big. I have really big palms so i find the loomis really comfy. Some other small handed person on this board probably has a loomis as well, you should get there input. Sorry i couldnt help much.

Thank you for your reply!! It's a very tough pick for me, and the Loomis is definitely one of the best guitars in the market. Amongst further input from board members, I shall await the thoughts of fellow small-handed people. :vince:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I'd say that the carvin is the best option, esp since you said you like 25.5" scales. But if you are just going to spec it to copy the C-7, then mise well get a C-7. The 26.5" scale is not a big difference, IMHO.

So maybe the C-7 is the best choice, if thats the look/etc you are going for. If you want something abit more personal, spec out your own Carvin with your fav color/etc.

The Agile is great too, esp if you are hurting for money, but I like my Carvin stuff more. Although, for a "shredder" guitar, the Agile is probably the best of the 3, just I find mine kinda weak sounding (maybe its the EMGs, and Im not a mahogany fan) My Agiles feel alot like Ibanez RGs, my neckthru IP feels like my old 6er RGT in alot of ways, and my Septor (bolt) feels alot like my old RG7421. So if you love the ibanez's a lot, maybe go for that.

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Nick! If I were to customize a Carvin it would look a lot like this DC727:

dc727c-blueburstflame-90905.jpg

ebony board w/ Blueburst flamed maple :yum:

Then I look at mass production models with similar body & top woods (like these other prospective guitars, for instance...
quilted maple but whatever :fawk:)

c7_hellraiser_fr_bch.jpg

fc7b_3.JPG
fd20_3.JPG

interceptorpro25tgr5.jpg

interceptorpro25tgr3.jpg
interceptorpro25tgr4.jpg

2578237715_512467188b_o.jpg

How can the Carvin price tag be justified? Is its construction and playability $600 better than the Loomis, about a grand over the Agile?

The black cherry C-7 has the look, and the Interceptor's evil as well, which I'd been gassing for since their last batch... I'd love an RG-like feel or playability, so the 25.5" Agile just stepped up a notch.
If the extra inch isn't noticable by a person with small hands, would a further half inch make a difference; if I just got the tribal red 27" Interceptor Pro? :lol:

interceptorpro27trd5.jpg

It might be wise to stick to just one scale length, since I want to use the guitar for both rhythm and lead; just so stretchy and tappy licks etc wouldn't have to be relearned going between different scale axes... Besides that, I'd love to know if anyone with a Loomis has experience with the new Hellraiser C-7 FR's w/ original floyd, and how they compare in feel and playability (since apparently the old hellraisers had thicker necks than the ones they put out now, which according to Schecter have the exact neck dimensions as the Loomis).

Do any of you extended range players have issues going back and forth between regular and extended scale guitars?

Thank you!!

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I didnt think i would like 27" at first either, but once I got one, I almost wonder how I ever played 25.5" 7s in the first place. for a 7 string, I think 27" is perfect. 25.5 would still be good though, if you aren't tuning lower than A (imo)

But I hardly feel the change from 27 to 25.5" when I go back to my 6 strings, but i heard other people sometimes have issues with it.

I guess I recommend you getting the Agile or C-7, just because for the pricetag, altho Carvins are great, unless you know for sure what specs exactly you want and if its different enough from the others, then its abit more pricy. I think you should get an Agile or C-7, and maybe save for a customized Carvin in the future. Thats how Im doing it, I got my Agile 27" Interceptor Pro, and getting a custom guitar from ETguitars, which will be my main 7, with all my specs exactly. My main 6 string and 5er Bass are Carvins though, they kick ass.

I think it comes down to, C-7 being more bulky/thicker, more like a Jackson or ESP, and the Agile being thin, like Ibanez. Thats how I feel anyways. They both have quilted red top, EMGs, etc, almost same specs besides the sizes.

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Thanks again Nick, I doubt I would ever tune lower than B-.

Does an extra inch and a bit make it harder to bend strings at all, as the extra tension they provide is enough to give a tighter tone? It's probably not significant.

I hope the LFRs rondo use aren't sucky...
Schecter are like the only competitively priced mass-produced guitars that come with OFR. Damn.
Could anyone please compare Loomis or C-7 with Interceptor Pro, if they've played both? Thanks!

...How's the old UV as a contender here...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the loomis has the nicest neck out of the C7/loomis/carvin.

and i owned a C7 blackjack, and a DC727. the loomis isnt that heavy.

you wouldnt be disappointed with a loomis - buy used, save some monies :)

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Budda, you had no trouble going between different scale instruments?

And as Stealthtastic said, it's impossible to keep the Loomis fretboard clean.
Any ideas? ;)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

Any ideas? ;)

I never had that issue either on fretboard scale lengths. Such as i cant really feel it when im playing, i opt for the 27" or 26.5" whenever possible for all the other advantages. As far as the loomis fretboard, i never had an issue keeping mine clean after sweating my ass off on it at two practices a week and regular shows since march of this year.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
its gotta feel right
i play 27" but then i have really BIG hands and some of my students struggle with anything over 25.5" and they have smaller hands than me ...
i personaly would get wat ever would feel best
its gotta play right yaknow?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Any ideas? ;)

I dont have big hands IMO - chubby yes, but long finger palm-a-basketball type? no.

i went from my 24.75 scale les paul (which is my main axe) to a 26.5 scale 7. it took me about 3 days to adjust to the scale length, and a week to start getting around that low B in conjunction with the other 6 strings.

dude, if you sweat when you play you will have trouble keeping any fretboard clean ;). maple, rosewood, ebony - they all get dirty. it just shows up more on maple. that shouldnt be something stopping you from buying a loomis - just clean the fretboard when you change strings, which is a good idea anyway.

24.75 scale, 25.5 scale, 26.5 scale - not an issue for me :). and out of the 3 you're looking at, for me personally the loomis had the most comfortable neck carve. the schecter didnt feel too wide for me, it was a tiny bit too thick in the middle. the loomis doesnt have this problem, and is fun to play!

if i see a TOM loomis for a good price next fall, i very well may pick one up.

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, guys. You decided my guitar for me :D

I ordered a new Loomis FR this morning, should be here in a day. I'm confident I'll be happy with it. Thanks a lot!!

Tim, your youtube stuff is great :deathm:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
enjoy it! they're pretty sweet guitars :)

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score

I ordered a new Loomis FR this morning, should be here in a day. I'm confident I'll be happy with it. Thanks a lot!!

Thanks very much dude :)

Reaction score

You wont regret going with the loomis man, awesome choice! If shecter had some sort of refferal program SS would make so much :lol:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
to anyone who has the new agile interceptor pro I am looking into the what I said trans red, but I looked at the trans green and I am loving the look of it even moreso now.

how do they play?

')