Interested in amp that has been resoldered, need help

• Thread starter GhostHost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GhostHost

Reaction score
I'm very interested in buying a used solid-state amp, and I found one for a fairly good price. The only issue is, the pots recently have had to get resoldered. The thing I'm wondering about, is how big of a risk is that to me? Is it possible they may last a few weeks, and then give out due to a bad solder job, or would it be almost instantly recognizable if it was a bad job? Could I even perhaps be better off with a fresh solder? I'd be getting it through guitar center, so there is a fairly good return policy, I just don't want the amp to last a few months and then give out, possibly not allowing me return it since it'll be past the regular return date.
Thank you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
I would want to see some pics of the solder job... At first glance, you can usually tell whether that job was done right or wrong. The pot lugs could be completely shot (oxidized because of excessive heat from the iron) or just fine.

I assume GC did the re-solder?

GhostHost

Reaction score
I would want to see some pics of the solder job... At first glance, you can usually tell whether that job was done right or wrong. The pot lugs could be completely shot (oxidized because of excessive heat from the iron) or just fine.

I assume GC did the re-solder?

Thank you for the reply.
The employee I talked to on the phone said they outsourced it to someone local to them, who's apparently "really good." I suppose I could ask them who specifically did the work on it, then check out if they have any sort of reviews/reputation online, or even call them. I am also kind of worried the employee may not even be accurately describing what work was done to the amp. He didn't seem to know what an effects loop was, and he called the pots "pods." Which isn't a huge deal, but I just hope he's not mixing anything else up. It seems it may be more risk than it's worth, maybe I should just wait until another goes for around the same price?

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
If they have a good return policy I would give it a shot. Soldering is not that hard, and if they sent it out to someone that knows how to solder you should be all good. If a GC employee did it well that would be different.... :) Post pics of the work here. I'm sure we can figure out if its good or not.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
The employee I talked to on the phone said they outsourced it to someone local to them, who's apparently "really good." I suppose I could ask them who specifically did the work on it, then check out if they have any sort of reviews/reputation online, or even call them. I am also kind of worried the employee may not even be accurately describing what work was done to the amp. He didn't seem to know what an effects loop was, and he called the pots "pods." Which isn't a huge deal, but I just hope he's not mixing anything else up. It seems it may be more risk than it's worth, maybe I should just wait until another goes for around the same price?

Based on that description... I would not risk it. You don't know what was done. You don't know who did the work. And you don't know if it was properly fixed. For a crappy SS amp, I wouldn't do it. Find another one.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Chances are unless it's a rare amp, you can find another one in working order for the same money.

GhostHost

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the help. I've decided it's not worth the risk of getting it when I could just wait for a better deal.

vick1000

Reaction score
If it's a Carvin SX series made during a certain period, chances are any one you find either has had it done, needs it done, or will eventually need it done.

')