Interested in pickups for Melodic Death Metal with great low end.

• Thread starter Diatenshi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a reason why people (like Sneap, Murphy, et cetera) use Tube Screamers before high-gain amps - the midrange response is crucial and people often neglect it. I'm going to agree with Stitch up there and say that you don't need a bassy pickup - your amp's bass response can be tweaked to fuck and back, and it's going to be much more helpful to look at something that doesn't have tons of low end.

Jeff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
An X2N7 would probably do pretty well in there, it sounds really good through my already bass-heavy setup and just seems to enhance it, plus it has some tasty midrange and high end in my opinion.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I agree that an X2N7 or an EMG707 would be the best choices, considering the bands mentioned (almost all the bands you mentioned use EMGs). The "low end" mentioned seems to come mainly from the amps used and from the tunings. If you want "clarity," then you don't want a bass-heavy pickup. When I think of "bass-heavy" in regards to pickups, the LAST thing that comes to mind is "clarity."

Diatenshi

Need a Tampa Band.
Reaction score
I agree that an X2N7 or an EMG707 would be the best choices, considering the bands mentioned (almost all the bands you mentioned use EMGs). The "low end" mentioned seems to come mainly from the amps used and from the tunings. If you want "clarity," then you don't want a bass-heavy pickup. When I think of "bass-heavy" in regards to pickups, the LAST thing that comes to mind is "clarity."

I read on another post that EMGs are difficult to install or something along those lines? I have never done any work to a guitar, but I am good with electronics, so I would assume its pretty easy?

Am I correct to assume they are active, which would require me to somehow get a battery inside my guitar?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I read on another post that EMGs are difficult to install or something along those lines? I have never done any work to a guitar, but I am good with electronics, so I would assume its pretty easy?

Am I correct to assume they are active, which would require me to somehow get a battery inside my guitar?

They're not difficult really, just a bit more time consuming, as you have to replace all the electronics (the pots and such). I think they generally come with everything you need, though. And yeah, they are active. What most people do is wrap it in foam and secure it with a rubber band within the control cavity.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
They're not difficult really, just a bit more time consuming, as you have to replace all the electronics (the pots and such). I think they generally come with everything you need, though. And yeah, they are active. What most people do is wrap it in foam and secure it with a rubber band within the control cavity.

You forgot to mention that on a 7 string, you need to route some wood out so they fit.

Diatenshi

Need a Tampa Band.
Reaction score
Ah, that's right! For some reason I assumed we were talking about a 6-string here. :shrug:

Route some wood you say? Hmm.....I guess that is just something I would have to figure out as I am doing it. >_<

Wheres a good place to look at and order some pickups and what not?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Route some wood you say? Hmm.....I guess that is just something I would have to figure out as I am doing it. >_<

Y'know, if you're thinking about EMG pickups in a 7 but don't want to route, there is another way. If you're willing to wait a little while, the Seymour Duncan Blackouts are like EMG's but better in almost every (if not every) way, including that you don't need to route out your guitar's body. They've got a better bass response, too. They're not out quite yet, though.

')