Interested in teh Laney irt120h....

• Thread starter Alex6534
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Saw a few of my favourite guitarists move onto this amp in the past year. Should hopefully have a chance to try one fairly soon. I'm after a new amp that can handle nice glassy cleans, 70s classic rock, typical hard rock but can also push it to modern metal. Don't know if all that is possible in one amp :lol: but from what I've saw so far the Laney can do most things. An heck, if Andy James just moved to it then I'm assuming it can do metal. But I'd rather hear from users if it can do thick an powerful tones.... All I've really heard is shred stuff so far an not much rhythm work :)

EDIT: I heard that Adam D (Killswitch/TOG) is using it.. Anyone heard his live tone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElJeffe

FlyingV,Mesa -addict
Reaction score
I heard Adam and Joel are both using it, I have note heard their tone from that amp, but knowing those guys, I can almost garauntee it is a sick metal tone. I would love to try one in person too!

Alex6534

Reaction score
Dying to try one out, really want to try one through a mesa/orange cab an see how it sounds... I like the idea of having seperate eq for clean an crunch. That's the thing I don't like about my 6534 haha

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
I've got the 60w version, it can definitely do all those things. I'm very happy with the amp.

Orren

otisct20

Reaction score
I hate to be "that guy" but can this thing get somewhat djenty tones, or close to things like Impending Doom, Chelsea Grin, etc.? I want the 120h because Im tired of having to borrow my friends 3120.

Alex6534

Reaction score
^I'd like to know this too, not playing much djent just now.... But once I get some BKP's in my 7621 I will be :D

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
I hate to be "that guy" but can this thing get somewhat djenty tones, or close to things like Impending Doom, Chelsea Grin, etc.? I want the 120h because Im tired of having to borrow my friends 3120.

Yes. But I should warn you I am more into industrial metal like Ministry and Rammstein so my "Djent" is really more like "Djunt" if that makes sense. :hbang:

But my point is that with the lead gain at 6+ and the pre-boost at 5+ this thing can get really thick and saturated muted chords as well as any high gain amp (if not better). Pull out the mids if you want and this thing can do scooped like anything; keep the mids high for a hot rodded Marshall chug.

Orren

Alex6534

Reaction score
^Would you say it's a versatile amp? In a hard rock band just now but want to get a 7 string Scar Symmetry-esc band up an running soon!

otisct20

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responseman, I do love me a thick ballsy tone. I really want to try one but no one around me supplies them.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the amp has three seperate eq settings? Like one for clean, rhythm/crunch and for the lead channel? Thanks :hbang:

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responseman, I do love me a thick ballsy tone. I really want to try one but no one around me supplies them.

Here neither. I ended up being intrigued enough to buy one from American Musical Supply, which has a 45-day money back return policy. I figured that way I could try it through my own cab and if it wasn't what I wanted I'd have enough time to send it back.

It's staying. :yes way:

Orren

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
^Would you say it's a versatile amp? In a hard rock band just now but want to get a 7 string Scar Symmetry-esc band up an running soon!

I'd say it's an incredibly versatile amp. The channels are voiced differently, unlike a lot of 3-channel amps where the lead/crunch channels are the same. The boost, foot switchable per channel makes it even more versatile.

Does anyone know if the amp has three seperate eq settings? Like one for clean, rhythm/crunch and for the lead channel? Thanks :hbang:

The amp has two EQs. The lead channel has it's own EQ, and the Clean+Rhythm channels share an EQ. This is IMO a much more flexible split than the more common rhythm/lead sharing an EQ. The way the Ironheart is laid out, you can have a completely different rhythm tone than lead tone, the lead tone isn't simply rhythm + more gain.

Also, many people choose not to use a separate channel for clean, but they prefer to set up the rhythm channel for their rhythm tone and then turn down the volume to clean it up (and the Ironheart cleans up well). In fact, the Clean channel can get pretty grindy in a Voxy kind of way, so you could in effect set up three different crunch settings, and use your volume knob on either the Clean or Rhythm to get different cleans.

Orren

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I love mine, but I would(and do) use a tubescreamer instead of the onboard boost. ;)

The cleans on this amp are better than 90% of the 'metal' amps on the market, and the 2 gain channels are killer.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
^ I agree. I do actually like the boost, but it doesn't seem to have the eq-cutting nature of a TS, and compared to my OD808, is less gainy.

As to versatility, I find it's pretty decent. I have my rhythm channel as being slightly lower gain than my lead, with a bit more bass/less treble. Combine this with the fact I have two different boosts, and you can get metal/rock/blues and a clean channel, which you can then also boost for some nice break-up tones.

You can get some really tight tones on this, if you fiddle with it enough. I run my gain/bass low, boost the mids and you can get a nice crunchy responsive metal tone. There is plenty of gain on it as well. I haven't yet experimented with EL34s, but I may give them a try for moar mids :lol:

Alex6534

Reaction score
I see what you mean about different voicings. Liked the amp a lot more with the mids cranked a bit. Really going to have to sit down with this an see if it's worth selling the Peavey for. Loving the lead tone though

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I agree. I do actually like the boost, but it doesn't seem to have the eq-cutting nature of a TS, and compared to my OD808, is less gainy.

I could get away with neither for rhythm tones, the amp is tight enough by far, but I've gotten used to the saturation and mids from an OD playing leads.

Also, the "Dynamics" control is more of a resonance, and the "Tone" control a presence. :yesway:

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
You can get some really tight tones on this, if you fiddle with it enough. I run my gain/bass low, boost the mids and you can get a nice crunchy responsive metal tone. There is plenty of gain on it as well.

Absolutely. One thing about an amp that has this many tonal options (push/pull on every EQ knob, etc) is that there's a lot of tweaking to be done. You can't make it sound like a different amp, but if you like the basic tone (and I do) you have a lot of possible variations on it if you experiment.

I haven't yet experimented with EL34s, but I may give them a try for moar mids :lol:

My thoughts too! :)

Orren

')