Interesting 7-string pickup combinations?

• Thread starter cakejetski
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cakejetski

Reaction score
How's it going errybody.

I'm going to be picking up a budget 7-string in the next few days (probably an Agile Interceptor 727 w/ Cepheus passives) and I'm looking at swapping out the pups for something else.

I've already pretty much decided on DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7's for the bridge (however I'm thinking about considering a LiquiFire placed in the bridge instead), but my main concern right now is what will be going into the neck. I'm looking for a really bright high end that's in your face, but I don't want to neglect the low end either. Any suggestions?
I'm sorta trying to emulate Sithu Aye's sound in his song "Skye". He uses a Strat in this, but I really like how his highs are so "in-your-face".

Also, this is going to be my first guitar that I decide to really make my own, modify, etc. Are there any crucial modifications that you guys would recommend? (pots, etc.)

Thanks again bros, and wish me luck with my new axe!

EDIT: EDIT: I'll buy some pickup covers eventually.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MouseBBX

New here
Reaction score
Hey there,

There are many choices of replacement pickups out there, which should cover just about any wish you have. The pickup model, however, is less important than the sum of the whole chain from fingers to speaker, which means there is no magic solution for getting the sound you want by changing one part. The reason pickups are placed in certain positions under the strings is because the sound coming off the strings differs over the length of it. If you were able to listen to the strings vibrate close to the bridge they would sound brighter and more 'in your face' than over the 12th fret. That is one of the biggest reasons of the difference in sound between the neck pickup and the bridge pickup. The Crunch lab is a nice pickup but certainly not known for its bright highs. If you want a strat sound through a 7 string humbucker you might want something like a D-Activator or Evolution (both DiMarzio) and wire it with a split coil ability. It will not be the same as a strat's ear spanking single coil, but it will give you a bit more presence and twang than many other options. You can't really buy a shit pickup from an established brand, so anything you put in there will be decent, but to make the choice which will suite you best you'll have to listen to some examples (I tend to ignore the charts a bit, since my idea of mids and highs is different from the next guys) and eventually just take a chance.

Hope that helped a little, at least. So, anything in the neck slot will sound less bright than bridge pup (within reason), D-activator and Evolution are worth looking at, high output is not always the way, and you should own a Strat...
:wavey:

')