"Intervals" (Aaron Marshall stands alone)

• Thread starter neoclassical85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I just found out today via facebook that my favourite instrumental metal band "Intervals" just added a singer to their lineup and released their first single from the new album with vocals, its kickin up a bit of a sh1t storm on facebook with some angry/disappointed fans and others are taking it well and supporting the idea. Personally I love these guys as an instrumental band and their first two albums are amazing, Im pretty open to the idea of them adding a vocalist, though some people argue that they should keep making instrumental albums and have the singer stuff as a side project under a different name. The new single is called Ephemeral, it can be heard on youtube.. Discuss!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think it's great, I just can't really get into instrumental music. :2c:

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I gotta say I love this band instrumentally, the music speaks volumes to the point that it doesnt really need vocals, but obviously on the new tracks they are writing around the idea of having a vocalist. Im stoked for whatever these guys bring out, super talented group and proud to have a band like this coming from Canada!!

angelbear

Reaction score
i liked them better when they were instrumental but theyre still kick ass

AuroraTide

Reaction score
Is he still the bass player? Maybe they will still have new instrumental songs, either way I dig his voice!

Edoris

Reaction score
Personally i love it! I was wondering why his voice sounded so familiar and then realized he's the ex-vocalist for Vestascension (who are awesome!!).

It's a hard task going from an instrumental band to having a vocalist in a tasteful manner but they seem to have done it well. Hopefully they still have a few instrumental tracks but it looks like i'm gonna love it even if they don't haha

Well done Intervals, well done indeed. :cool:

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
If Intervals wants a singer, they get a singer. And they did!

They might lose or gain a few fans, but they are following their own artistic vision. Sounds great to me.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
This is liable to be merged with the other thread, but for now:

A) I felt like the guitars could only carry their tunes so far with their writing style, and the singer helps push it over the edge. (In the right direction)
B) They didn't kill the style by adding harsh vocals.
C) Mike is a beast of a singer.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda felt like a lot of the leads were there "in place" of vocals...the songs were already designed for them, it seemed to me.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
To me, instrumental metal is just masturbation. I can't listen to it and it gets redundant (though I must say an extremely rare exception is Modern Day Babylon, their new album is amazing as is). I always feel that the vocal element makes or breaks a band, and to leave it out entirely isn't doing the music justice. Thankfully for Intervals, Mike is a phenomenal singer/vocalist instead of some whiny kid with 6 months of singing under his belt. That combined with top notch musicians? I can't see it being anything short of a stellar release. I always dug Intervals but also felt they REALLY need vocals to fill in that missing space, and Mike is absolutely perfect in that space.

Set aside the fact you're likely a guitar player for a second and listen to the song as a whole. Does it not sound significantly more "full" and fulfilled than an instrumental wank session? Anyone can play guitar with enough practice, but writing a quality song is something else entirely - and this shows that Intervals is more than capable of it.

angelbear

Reaction score
To me, instrumental metal is just masturbation. I can't listen to it and it gets redundant (though I must say an extremely rare exception is Modern Day Babylon, their new album is amazing as is). I always feel that the vocal element makes or breaks a band, and to leave it out entirely isn't doing the music justice. Thankfully for Intervals, Mike is a phenomenal singer/vocalist instead of some whiny kid with 6 months of singing under his belt. That combined with top notch musicians? I can't see it being anything short of a stellar release. I always dug Intervals but also felt they REALLY need vocals to fill in that missing space, and Mike is absolutely perfect in that space.

Set aside the fact you're likely a guitar player for a second and listen to the song as a whole. Does it not sound significantly more "full" and fulfilled than an instrumental wank session? Anyone can play guitar with enough practice, but writing a quality song is something else entirely - and this shows that Intervals is more than capable of it.

animals as leaders, scale the summit and angel vivaldi would like to say otherwise

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I like them with vocals too but I wouldn't say better or worse than before. It's just different. I don't agree with this though

"Does it not sound significantly more "full" and fulfilled than an instrumental wank session?"

It feels like people use "wankery" and it's various far more liberally now than they used too. Wankery seems to mean "someone played a fast solo and I didn't like it" now...

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

Took the words right out of my mouth, I've stopped listening to music with the mentality of a guitarist. You can really appreciate and listen to more that way.

')