"Intervals" (Aaron Marshall stands alone)

• Thread starter neoclassical85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lemons

Reaction score
Judging from the little clips Aaron's posted on instagram I'm stoked to hear intervals as a solo project again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
This has definitely given me a new perspective on Aaron. Hes an incredible guitar player, but it always kind of bums me out when theyre not the open-minded brotherly musician you get the impression of.

Regardless, hes a great player and I look forward to what is next. Just a bit bummed about it.

I agree and disagree with this. I fell in love with Intervals in their instrumental form and thought Mike was a great addition to the band as well, but I just want to say that just because someone doesn't want to compromise themselves creatively doesn't mean they're not open-minded or brotherly, etc. There are plenty of musicians out there who want to be in bands, to write with their bandmates, and there are those who want to do solo work. To those who want to create solo music, to be forced to compromise your art would basically be not being true to yourself, and since he built the Intervals "brand" if you will from the ground up... I think its a little different from questionable people who kind of start bands per se and then end up being the only founding member because the rest of the lineup leaves every two years.

All but the best to Lukas and Anup, and I hope Aaron's new Intervals album is just as great as the previous material. Who knows, maybe Aaron will end up in a band again, and I'm sure he'll have great musicians to back him up live!

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I agree and disagree with this. I fell in love with Intervals in their instrumental form and thought Mike was a great addition to the band as well, but I just want to say that just because someone doesn't want to compromise themselves creatively doesn't mean they're not open-minded or brotherly, etc. There are plenty of musicians out there who want to be in bands, to write with their bandmates, and there are those who want to do solo work. To those who want to create solo music, to be forced to compromise your art would basically be not being true to yourself, and since he built the Intervals "brand" if you will from the ground up... I think its a little different from questionable people who kind of start bands per se and then end up being the only founding member because the rest of the lineup leaves every two years.

All but the best to Lukas and Anup, and I hope Aaron's new Intervals album is just as great as the previous material. Who knows, maybe Aaron will end up in a band again, and I'm sure he'll have great musicians to back him up live!

This is what kinda rubs me wrong. Yes intervals is Aaron's band 100%, but he was the one who let mike in on vocals. He created the monster of having a vocalist, and when lucas and anup wanted to keep that train going, he nuked the band. Aaron has every right to do that being that it is his project. It just kinda sucks that anup left skyharbor to commit to intervals and it backfired on him. This all might be for the best for all parties involved I just hate it when good dudes fall on hard times.

bhakan

Reaction score
From Aaron's post I don't really get the feeling of him being a controlling dick, more just that he started a solo project which ended up getting a mind of it's own and getting away from what it was originally intended to do. IIRC, Mike was originally in the band as a bass player, and then just ended up on vocals. I'm guessing someone other than Aaron pushed for that, and he gave it a shot. Then with Mike's departure it gave him a chance to bring Intervals back to it's original vision.

anomynous

Reaction score
From Aaron's post I don't really get the feeling of him being a controlling dick, more just that he started a solo project which ended up getting a mind of it's own and getting away from what it was originally intended to do. IIRC, Mike was originally in the band as a bass player, and then just ended up on vocals. I'm guessing someone other than Aaron pushed for that, and he gave it a shot. Then with Mike's departure it gave him a chance to bring Intervals back to it's original vision.

Of course you're not going to get that from his own post. Anup & Lukas's posts certainly hinted at it though.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I don't think anyone was saying that anyone was being a dick... Creative differences happen and Intervals is Aaron's baby :shrug:

I for one eagerly anticipate the return of music that hasn't been watered down to cater to whiney vocals being the focal point :agreed:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
We have very different definitions of that word in that case :lol:

Sure it's lower in pitch than a lot of other whiney sounding singers, but it's still defined by that angst whiney drawl

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Whiney is absolutely not the word to describe Mike, that's just what people call any clean vocals nowadays :lol:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
To anyone calling Aaron a controlling...whatever...he's not and on top of that, he's an incredibly nice guy.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Well, I am not a huge fan of Intervals, I'm more of a death metal guy - but this doesn't surprise me at all.

Look lets face it, the hard rock/metal world is driven mostly by people who really love what they do, there is very little financial gain in the short or long run out of it. So it is only natural that people do exactly what they want to do and nothing else.

What Aaron did is not unique nor does it reflect on him as a person. He simply has a complete vision of what he wants Intervals to sound like, and thats that. Anyone remember Necrophagist? Muhammed wrote the entire debut and second record, and besides the solos Christian Muenzner wrote (who himself is an unbelievable player), no one wrote anything in the band. True, musicians have come and gone and his project is in ...., but thats for different reasons.

Same applies to Michael Keene of The Faceless and Steffen Kummerer of Obscura. Now these are extreme metal guys, but their situation is the same. They both had a vision of what they wanted to sound like, and this is why in the extreme metal world, these bands are pretty ....ing famous (despite being pretty young).

I don't doubt that Intervals will be very successful in the future, and Aaron is a great guy who will make it work. At this point in time, it is all about him finding the right members who understand his vision, and avoiding the caveats of being too focused and determined to the point where you become another The Faceless and keep losing members.

MrYakob

Reaction score
To anyone calling Aaron a controlling...whatever...he's not and on top of that, he's an incredibly nice guy.

This could not be more true. I've hung out with him a number of times for lessons when he's been in town here and he couldn't be a nicer guy. It was also very obvious to me that he has a very clear vision of the direction for Intervals and I'm glad that he's sticking to his guns on that, even if it means no Anup or Lukas.

rapterr15

Reaction score
Surprised these haven't been posted yet. I'm really looking forward to instrumental Intervals again. Wasn't super crazy about the new track on the first listen, but now I can't stop replaying.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
oh, I totally missed this.
Last thing about intervals I heard was them having a singer join, which is where I lost interest in the band...

So, are they back to being an all-instrumental band again?

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
oh, I totally missed this.
Last thing about intervals I heard was them having a singer join, which is where I lost interest in the band...

So, are they back to being an all-instrumental band again?

Pretty much. It's more of a solo project now, with Aaron getting Travis Orbin on drums and the bassist from Protest the Hero for the studio sessions.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
So what was the aftermath after the whole shenanigans that went down after The Voice Within was released? It looked like things got messy when Anup and Mike left, is it just back to being Aarons solo project now? The new song is nice and all but it feels like Aaron came across as a bit of a control freak/dick back then.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Pretty much. It's more of a solo project now, with Aaron getting Travis Orbin on drums and the bassist from Protest the Hero for the studio sessions.

Thanks!
For me this is good news as I really like their two instrumental albums. When they added a singer, I listened to a track, and while it also sounded good, I was not very much into it and I preferred their instrumental sound!

Latest posts

')