"Intervals" (Aaron Marshall stands alone)

• Thread starter neoclassical85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

innovine

Reaction score
I hate vocals. 90% of the time its just some clown going urrrrgh, urrrrrgh, me badass, urrrgh. ....ing stupid. Done right they can be ok in small amounts, but that is rare.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yousef

Reaction score
I really like it. The song is great.

I'm glad they went with clean vocals instead of the screaming style of other djent style bands... but then again they've only shared one song so far so we don't know what the style will be for the other songs.

downburst82

Reaction score
Cant listen to the song right now (baby is sleeping and I cant find my headphones) but im pretty sure if its Mike Semesky its going to be a SOLID vocal performance, I will just have to hear how it works overall with there sound.

Colbear

Reaction score
The song sounds GREAT. Killer performance and tight writing. Have to agree with the notion that the guitar melodies almost felt there in place of the vocals, but it still worked. Will definitely be keeping up with these guys much more now, very interested in that album!

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
I feel like the majority of Interval's songs were originally written to include vocals. I don't really like the singer, but I think this is good for the band in the long run...

Eladamri

Reaction score
Urgh....

No thanks. I really can't handle cut and paste LOOK AT MY FEELINGS lyrics at the best of times. He doesn't need a bucket to carry a tune but there's much more to being a singer than just being in tune. I am just going to be bored now.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
animals as leaders, scale the summit and angel vivaldi would like to say otherwise

I can't make it past 2 songs of AAL since the music is so dry. Good, but dry. Scale The Summit could easily add Tesseract-esque vocals and I'd love them, and I've never heard Angel Vivaldi so I can't say anything about that. Whatever the case, I think Intervals made a smart move

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
I'm excited for this! I love Mike Semesky's vocals, and adding them to Intervals is a great thing. Stoked to hear more of this!

Dcm81

Reaction score
I like the new song but it just doesn't have that same signature sound that the instrumentals had. With the extra element of the vocals there is now less space for guitar melodies and such.

Aaron said that he still views Intervals as an instrumental band with the vocals just being an extra "instrument".......if that is the case then why only clean vocals? Semestry is an excellent "instrument" in my opinion but if it's all clean then you're missing out on a lot of different nuances your instrument has to offer.
Don't get me wrong - I don't need screaming or shouting all the time, on the contrary, BUT this is heavy music and well placed growls or screams can really add to the dynamic of a song. IMO he did a great job of that with the HAARP Machine.

BTW: All tracks will have vocals on them and for their live shows they've got the bassist from The Human Abstract.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I liked them better as an instrumental band, I really love their first two albums and I'm a big fan of instrumental metal in general.
That said, I can totally understand their decision to add a singer, as this way they will most likely address a much bigger audience, so it does make sense.

thatguyupthere

is rockin out
Reaction score
Aaron actually said that intervals was intended to have a singer in the first place ( their first album would've had a singer ), but they couldn't find the right one so they went on with writing instrumental music until they found one. I like the idea actually :yesway: I'm very exited to hear the rest of "a voice within". We still have "the space between" and "in time" to listen to (for instrumental).. I can't wait to hear what else is in store!

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
So I just sat through the song they released with the singer on it. It wasn't all that bad, I don't care for his style of singing personally but it fit the song pretty well and didn't detract from the overall vibe. He managed to stand out without over doing it. I'm not a huge Intervals fan or anything so perhaps I don't have enough of a dog in the fight for this to be a big deal.

Stijnson

Reaction score
I'm personally very picky about singers and tend to dislike many of them, but you can learn to block them out, or to start enjoying them. This is what happened to me when I listened to Periphery, at first I blocked the vocals mentally because I didn' care for them, but they grew on me and now I enjoy them.

I'm sure the same will happen with Intervals. Despite the fact that I love Intervals because they were instrumental and like the band said, they let the guitar be like a vocal melody, and as a guitarist, I love that. So I was partially dissapointed, but either way they're great musicians and Mike is also a good singer, so I'm sure the songs will still be very Intervals, just not as much as before perhaps because they leave space for the vocals. This is very noticeable on the newly released track, when there are no vocals it's instantly Intervals, but when he's singing, I will admit, it could have been another band.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
That was surprising. I was expecting a Tompkins/Sponce type screamer/siren, and instead got something rather ballsy and fantastic.

I'm not a fan of Intervals, tbh, but this singer definitely sounds good to me.

Sferic

Reaction score
Aaron actually said that intervals was intended to have a singer in the first place ( their first album would've had a singer ), but they couldn't find the right one so they went on with writing instrumental music until they found one.

Yep, he's said this in interviews from the beginning, although to your last point, I didn't think they were necessarily actively looking for a vocalist.

To whoever said instrumental music is just masturbation, have you ever listened to Intervals? Aaron is fairly restrained and tasteful in a lot of his melodies--that's actually one of the main reasons I liked them so much.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Aaron is a great guitar player. I definitely don't like this trendy singing EVERY BAND IS NOW DOING but to each his own, cant deny he is a fantastic guitar player.

Lillub85

Listen to that Purr!
Reaction score
I like how Aaron said that a singer is just another instrument and will add to the overall sound of the band. Personally, I like the addition of Mike, but also hope that it doesn't hurt the awesome guitar parts. :shred:

Latest posts

')