Interview with Otep.....

• Thread starter garcia3441
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Haven't heard much of their music, but I do know a little about them. Their original drummer was a top session guy (there are a number of high profile bands whose drummers have cut less than acceptable tracks, he was the guy bought in by the producer in the dead of night to re-record their stuff without their knowledge). He decided that he was a bit bored of possessing a studio tan and decided to put something together to basically get out there and play some drums/drink some beer. He contacted some industry friends and,hey presto, such was his level of respect that he had recording contracts sitting in front of him by the next day. Bear in mind this is before he even has a line-up sorted.

Forward a couple of years and they are cutting a record with Terry Date at the helm who has a mandate from the record label that the record shouldn't sound 'too metal'. He records his drums, comes back the next day and finds that all his 32nd notes have been edited into 16th notes etc etc. After the ensuing argument where Date tells him that his fills were 'too precise and everyone will think it's programmed', to which he responds 'then they can watch me do it live, can't they', that was the end of the line for our man.

So there you go, welcome to the Sharon Osbourne version of heavy music.

Wow, that's so damn lame.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Some of these bands are so contrived, it's shameless. Like Lozek said, the Sharon Osbourne school of metal.

Bands using 'ghost players' is nothing new though...it's been going on for years in all genres.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^It's been rumoured for years that the reason Metaliica never played "Dyers Eve" from ...And Justice For All live is because Lars couldn't play it to speed; word is that parts were pieced together and Charlie Benante from Anthrax was brought in by the producer to cop the double-kick parts without Lars' knowledge.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
^^It's been rumoured for years that the reason Metaliica never played "Dyers Eve" from ...And Justice For All live is because Lars couldn't play it to speed; word is that parts were pieced together and Charlie Benante from Anthrax was brought in by the producer to cop the double-kick parts without Lars' knowledge.

They've played Dyer's Eve live on a couple of tours in recent years.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
They've played everything badly as of late ;p

:agreed: I hate it when they butcher an old classic with Hetfield's new singing style. I'm listening to the music and thinking, "This isn't bad. It sounds pretty close to the original... albeit a little sloppy" and then suddenly that voiiiice!! Yikes. :ugh:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
the last EP they did, i think it was the Some Kind Of Monster EP, they had a bunch of older songs on there. GOD did it suck. The guitars sounded weak and gainless, and james sounded like he didnt care at all :/

')