Interview with Otep.....

• Thread starter garcia3441
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Anything i say about this is going to make me look like a total and complete asshole, so I gonna bite my tongue and just click elsewhere, knowing full well that Otep will fade away soon enough....

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Anything i say about this is going to make me look like a total and complete asshole, so I gonna bite my tongue and just click elsewhere, knowing full well that Otep will fade away soon enough....

Never listened to them. :shrug:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think people on blabbermouth rag on them cause she's a chick, cause lots of metal bands LOVE bands with chicks in them. Arch Enemy, Sinister, Epica, Leaves' Eyes, etc. I think that she's trying to create an issue that just isn't there.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I dont think people on blabbermouth rag on them cause she's a chick, cause lots of metal bands LOVE bands with chicks in them. Arch Enemy, Sinister, Epica, Leaves' Eyes, etc. I think that she's trying to create an issue that just isn't there.

:agreed: And I think it's funny how she was saying that they aren't metal or how they are trying to not be metal. Well, they aren't trying hard enough. Because they are definitely metal (maybe not "good" metal, depending on your personal tastes. I don't really like them at all - but they are definitely metal). I think they would fit into the "alternative metal" classification pretty well and her lyrics seem to be pretty "nu metal."

And, there are a lot of metal bands with chick singers that are pretty popular. She's just pulling ideas out of nowhere to make her band seem unique or special.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hate female musicians like this; they constantly act victimised and oppressed when the actual reason people don't like them is because their band sucks. There are plenty of women who've succeeded in the rock and metal worlds on their own merits, without constantly having to call attention to their gender (Jennifer Batten, Ani DiFranco, Angela Gossow, Christina Scabbia, Paz Lenchantin, Cadaveria, Jaye Foucher, Lori Linstruth, Karen Crisis, Jo Bench of Bolt-thrower...). The only ones who draw attention to it are the ones who don't have the songs or chops to back up all the posturing.
If I had a teenage daughter of my own, I'd buy her Diamanda Galas albums for her birthday, not this crap...

I checked out this band on Youtube, as a girl I was after for a while really liked them. I got through thirty seconds of one track, and I'd really really like that thirty seconds back...:mad:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I can't stand their singer. That video is pretty cool though.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't heard much of their music, but I do know a little about them. Their original drummer was a top session guy (there are a number of high profile bands whose drummers have cut less than acceptable tracks, he was the guy bought in by the producer in the dead of night to re-record their stuff without their knowledge). He decided that he was a bit bored of possessing a studio tan and decided to put something together to basically get out there and play some drums/drink some beer. He contacted some industry friends and,hey presto, such was his level of respect that he had recording contracts sitting in front of him by the next day. Bear in mind this is before he even has a line-up sorted.

Forward a couple of years and they are cutting a record with Terry Date at the helm who has a mandate from the record label that the record shouldn't sound 'too metal'. He records his drums, comes back the next day and finds that all his 32nd notes have been edited into 16th notes etc etc. After the ensuing argument where Date tells him that his fills were 'too precise and everyone will think it's programmed', to which he responds 'then they can watch me do it live, can't they', that was the end of the line for our man.

So there you go, welcome to the Sharon Osbourne version of heavy music.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I disagree that Otep being female isn't an issue. There's thousands of terrible metal bands, but the Blabbermouth types harp on bands like Otep and the like above any other, simply because they are fronted by females. There's 20308208 bands out there just as bad if not worse than Otep but because they have a beard and look the part, they're never criticized as much. IMO the people that post on Blabbermouth represent everything thats bad about the metal scene. A total cesspool of filth, ignorance and misguided hostility.

That being said I agree Otep is terrible. But so aren't most bands, so I'm not really bothered by it.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I disagree that Otep being female isn't an issue. There's thousands of terrible metal bands, but the Blabbermouth types harp on bands like Otep and the like above any other, simply because they are fronted by females. There's 20308208 bands out there just as bad if not worse than Otep but because they have a beard and look the part, they're never criticized as much. IMO the people that post on Blabbermouth represent everything thats bad about the metal scene. A total cesspool of filth, ignorance and misguided hostility.

That being said I agree Otep is terrible. But so aren't most bands, so I'm not really bothered by it.

The people on Blabbermouth are almost uniformly idiots (I never go near it myself), but she really, really brings it on herself with the kind of crap she spouts in interviews.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
They have a couple of good songs. Not a fan of acting the victim over nothing just for press though. Fuck that.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my fucking god, I just clicked on that link...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's like a teenage girl's myspace blogs set to cookie-cutter metal riffs!!!:lol:

Thats hilarious. its like those videos where they misinterpret the lyrics on purpose... excpet those are the actual lyrics.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

People like to find reasons to hate things. I once talked to a guy who didn't like suffocation cause they had a black guy in the band.

Otep is really REALLY average at best. THere's plenty of bands who dont even make a big deal about having a woman in the band, and her saying 'women dont do this kind of music' just shows shes ignorant of heavy music in general.
Most people wouldnt even know if a band like Imagika had a female in the band, cause they dont make it a defining part of who they are. its just like "Oh, yeah. we she's a woman and she plays bass." Same with like, Holy Moses. Sabina isn't all like "ARRGHH I AM HATED CAUSE I AM A WOMAN OH NO!"

After watching that video for their song Infidel, i can totally see why people rag on that band. that video sucked HARD.

')