Intonation issue...

• Thread starter FILTHnFEAR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
...with my 1527 in drop B with a .62 on the low end.

I just can't get the intonation set. The saddle is as far back as it can go, and the bridge is straight.

I know it's hard to get perfect intonation on the lowest string, but I should be able to get closer than I am. The other 6 are great. Buggin the .... outta me.

I wouldn't think a .62 is too thick for B. Any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pav

???
Reaction score
.62 doesn't sound bad at all, but have you tried intonating with lighter strings, maybe a .58 for the low B? I wish I had a more useful answer but some bridges just don't offer as much room for adjustments as others. If you absolutely can't even get close to what you want you may be stuck with replacing the entire bridge.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Is this your first 0.062" to not intonate? Maybe it's a bad string. What kind of string? Some strings are denser and thus easier to set intonation, others might have anomalies right out of the pack. There's also a small chance that the pickup could be close enough to the string to get the magnet to pull the string a little sharp on higher frets...

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
.62 doesn't sound bad at all, but have you tried intonating with lighter strings, maybe a .58 for the low B?

I had a .56 for the low B previously, but it was way too floppy for me. So I went up a bit. And actually .62 is almost there tension wise, but was thinking to try a .64 next time, but if this is giving me issues a larger gauge would just make it worse.

Is this your first 0.062" to not intonate? Maybe it's a bad string. What kind of string? Some strings are denser and thus easier to set intonation, others might have anomalies right out of the pack. There's also a small chance that the pickup could be close enough to the string to get the magnet to pull the string a little sharp on higher frets...

It's a DAddarrio baritone set. Could that be the problem maybe? And it is the first time I've used these strings.

Pup isn't all that close to the strings.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
D'addario are usually good. For a B, .62 is basically normal tension. But the heavier the better imo lol try a .64-.68 if other .62s dont work

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
D'Addarios are usually very good. 0.062" should be a good thickness. 0.620", on the other hand is a piece of rebar.

JoeGragg

Reaction score
...with my 1527 in drop B with a .62 on the low end.

I just can't get the intonation set. The saddle is as far back as it can go, and the bridge is straight.

I know it's hard to get perfect intonation on the lowest string, but I should be able to get closer than I am. The other 6 are great. Buggin the .... outta me.

I wouldn't think a .62 is too thick for B. Any thoughts?

If it has a Floyd Rose style bridge then that could be a big contributing factor. Floyd style bridges are only balanced by the mounting screws in the front of the bridge and the strings themselves. trying something like a tremolno to hold the bridge in place might get you more in the ball park. Or you could try loosening the mounting screw in the front of the bridge and pull it back a bit there should be a bit of wiggle room there depending on what kind of bridge it is exactly.I looked up a couple online and the bridge style seems to vary.

RHEX-7

Reaction score
i have this same problem with my RG7421pb. the low A does not intonate what so ever. the entire guitar doesnt stay in tune. everytime i pick it up it needs to be retuned. the low A never stays in one spot, it always has to move around between 7 different lines on my tuner so i never know if its actually in tune or not.

gujukal

Reaction score
Wouldn't a thinner string intonate better? I would try a 56, a lot of guitars with normal scale length have problems when you go over 56/60 gauge strings.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldn't a thinner string intonate better? I would try a 56, a lot of guitars with normal scale length have problems when you go over 56/60 gauge strings.

In this case it should. A .056" string should, by no means, be the maximum thickness for a seven to handle. But maybe a denser string or something in between gauges would work.

tedtan

Reaction score
D'Addario is good, but sometimes you just get a bad string.

You might also try DR Titefits or DDTs. They are denser than typical, so a 60 would have the same tension as a typical 62 or 64.

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
Hoping it's just a bad string.

I don't want to have to go to a much smaller gauge as the 62 is already feeling ever so slightly floppy. Was thinking a 64 would be perfect tension wise, but if the 62's already giving me issues that may not be an option.

Ideally I'd prefer to go drop A, but that's not going to be happening on my 1527. Tried before and couldn't get it to intonate at all and it sounded like a muddy mess.

Never tried a 26.5" or 27" scale before. May be time to look into that.

Thanks for the responses guys.

')