Intonation issues due to old strings?

• Thread starter Dash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dash

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a small question. I got my Ibanez RG7641 (25.5") tuned in Drop G#, had this for a long time and never really seem to have problems with the intonation. Now I played some notes on the higher strings and they seem to be totally off tuned-wise. I don't know if I had this before because I never really checked it, it used to sound good though now it's just obvious they are not correctly in tone. Can this be because of my old strings or do you think it's because of the low tuning. Is there a way to fix this if it's because of the lower tuning without tuning it higher?

Thank you! :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a small question. I got my Ibanez RG7641 (25.5") tuned in Drop G#, had this for a long time and never really seem to have problems with the intonation. Now I played some notes on the higher strings and they seem to be totally off tuned-wise. I don't know if I had this before because I never really checked it, it used to sound good though now it's just obvious they are not correctly in tone. Can this be because of my old strings or do you think it's because of the low tuning. Is there a way to fix this if it's because of the lower tuning without tuning it higher?

Thank you! :bowdown:

Did you change the string gauge when you tuned it down to drop G#, and did you have it set up by someone when you did so? Might be that it needs a good set-up. I'd change the strings first and see how that is though.

Dash

Reaction score
Did you change the string gauge when you tuned it down to drop G#, and did you have it set up by someone when you did so? Might be that it needs a good set-up. I'd change the strings first and see how that is though.

I didn't change the string gauges because I liked the "gnarly" sound which gets lost when you get thicker strings, I might actually try some thicker strings though, just to see how it feels. I'm going to change the strings first and report back, thanks!

')