Intrepid Pro Dual 828 or Septor 828?

• Thread starter dajnednyt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dajnednyt

Reaction score
Hey guys :)

Probably the same old story you see all the time, but I couldn't find an old thread comparing these two guitars...

I'm gonna buy an 8, and from the looks of it Agile's probably my best bet (although if you'd recommend the RGA8 over both of these, please say).

Agile Septor 828 MN Nat Ash at RondoMusic.com

Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 MN NA at RondoMusic.com

The main difference I can see is the body woods. Any advice on the tonal differences between the two?

Obviously there won't be a 'this one's better' answer, but if you could help me out a bit with the tonal differences between the two (and possibly any playability/build differences if any of you have experienced them?), I'd be extremely grateful.

The Septor looks like it has a wider fretboard, which would be a plus... as long as it's not compensated for by a thicker neck *shudder*

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mellis

dude what
Reaction score
I was deciding the exact same thing last year and while I haven't actually got to play a Septor I couldn't be more stoked on my Intrepid. The body is super comfy and the maple neckthrough with mahogany is always a solid choice tone-wise. Neck is surprisingly thin too. I love the look of both of them but the only thing that put me off the Septor is the supposed neck dive.

Just to confuse your decision even more I'll probably get a Septor in the near future as well. :fawk:

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

FrostyTheDroMan

Reaction score
Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Agreed. Like you I was torn between the Intrepid or Septor but went with the Septor. I absolutely love it to death, there is a slight neck-dive, but not enough for me to consider it a con of the guitar.

I think when it comes down to it you're gonna just have to decide based on which body shape and specs you like more bc the tonal differences will be barely noticeable, especially if you plan on swapping pups.

Also, the Septor's headstock doubles as a great weapon if you're ever in a bind and have to impale someone :evil: lol

Psionicist

Reaction score
I am agreeing with Frosty, I dont think there will be much difference out of the aesthetics (body shape). I have an Intrepid and it is a big instrument, compared to my Interceptor (7 string). Not really better or worse, just different.

UnderTone

In Absentia
Reaction score
I've owned the Intrepid for almost a year now, and it still feels like the first week I've bought it, in terms of excitement for playing it. It's solidly built, sounds great, and has no neck dive whatsoever. Extremely comfortable to play/solo on.

dajnednyt

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The Septor's got a hard ash body, I thought that would make a noticeable difference in terms of tone... but obviously not :L

I've also seen this... it has the ash body (which I'd probably prefer), and an ebony fretboard (which is a huge plus): Agile Intrepid Dual 828 EB BloodBurst at RondoMusic.com

However, it's not a 'pro'... from the looks of things, the only difference is the neck being bolt-on, and a slightly smaller scale (28.625 instead of 28.825), but would there be a significantly lower build quality too? I guess it would have to be, ebony being a much more expensive wood...

I guess that's probably the most viable option... I just wish I could get those specs without the horrible finish :L

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Honestly, I like the Septor more. I had an 828 for a short while and loved the body shape. Very comfortable and lightweight. I can't speak on behalf of the Intrepid, but my vote goes for the Septor. Plus I love the Nat Ash.

')