Introducing Skunkworks Project: Thorn Artisan Limited SCF - Carbon Fiber! HOLY S*%!!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the description from Ron:

Ron Thorn said:
Skunkworks Project: Thorn Artisan Limited SCF - Carbon Fiber After 2-years of work, I am extremely proud to introduce the latest offering to the Thorn line: The Artisan Limited SCF. Starting with the Single Florentine Cut platform, the SCF takes a new approach to electric guitar construction by combining traditional tone-woods and techniques with modern materials and building methods. The SCF features a Semi-Hollow 1-piece Honduran Mahogany body. The semi-hollow internal geometry is unique to this model, providing maximum resonance and sustain from it's 2" thickness. Coupled to the body is a hand-laid Carbon Fiber arch-top. This is not simply a sheet of carbon cloth laying over a wood carved-top providing the "look" of carbon fiber. Instead, this is a 7-layer arch-top formed in a vacuum mold, totally isolated from the body until it is precisely attached. While it measures less than an 1/8" thick, there is no need for internal bracing of the top, due to the material's stiffness, shape and contours. The result...a guitar that sings and resonates like no other. A quartersawn black limba set-neck provides a midrange clarity and balance, voiced for this body combination. A Carbon Fiber headcap stiffens the headstock, reducing flex and deflection contributing to the SCF's incredible sustain. The 24.75" scale fretboard is premium ebony with a 10"-14" compound radius and choice of fretwire. The pickups are hand-wound Thorn Pasadena '80 (Neck) / '86 (Bridge) humbuckers. TonePros' brushed nickel ToM and Stop Tail, locking Sperzel tuning machines, and Dunlop Straploks complete the hardware. Beautifully finished in high-gloss clear Urethane over the carbon fiber and a flat-toned matching back & neck for a smooth look and feel . The usual Thorn features are accentuated with a new fretmarker design. Far from being another industry sales gimmick, or merely a bit of eye candy, we have created the SCF using unique construction properties & modern materials specifically to yield a great sounding guitar, we have achieved just that. This one will be making it's first appearance this weekend at the East Coast Thorn Gathering. Stop by, check it out and give it a strum. Price: $5100
(ouchies, boner-kill :rofl:)

SCF_Proto1.jpg

SCF_Proto2.jpg

SCF_Proto3.jpg

I have always wanted a carbon fiber-topped/covered guitar and that thing is exceptional! It's cool that it's not just carbon twill laid over wood, it's actually a 2" thick piece of carbon fiber! :eek: The price kills me though, I could never afford something like that but it's seriously one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lee

Above
Contributor
Reaction score
:drool: I love carbon fiber, but like you said, the price is a complete boner kill :(

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's gorgeous.

And to be honest, for the amount of time that's probably gone into developing it, that price is not all that outrageous.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
That's gorgeous.

And to be honest, for the amount of time that's probably gone into developing it, that price is not all that outrageous.

Yeah 2 years to get it right, plus you have to figure how much time and effort goes into shaping the carbon fiber like that. :eek: I'd grab one if I could afford it but there's no way in hell I have $5K laying around for a guitar regardless of how amazing it is. On the bright side, I get to play it tomorrow! :D I'll take lots of pics too. :wub: I haven't chatted with Ron in a while because he's been so busy, and to be honest I'm pretty surprised he was able to keep this a secret from me since I used to find out about things in the pipeline way early in the game (owner of Jr 90 #09, from the first day he let a few of us know about them!) but I guess that's what happens when you have something that cool and you really want to keep it under wraps! No one else knew! :D

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
It's cool that it's not just carbon twill laid over wood, it's actually a 2" thick piece of carbon fiber! :eek:

Its actually only 1/8th of an inch, so says the description. Still, that's pretty impressive to have a pure carbon top. That looks smexy as hell :yesway:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Its actually only 1/8th of an inch, so says the description. Still, that's pretty impressive to have a pure carbon top. That looks smexy as hell :yesway:

Yeah my bad, I was just reading it again, 2" was body thickness. :D Either way, awesometastic! :lol:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
It's not a 2" thick piece of carbon fiber... it's chambered mahogany with a 1/8" thick archtop.

Looks amazing, but I prefer a little more visual flair in my $5k+ axes...

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah my bad, I was just reading it again, 2" was body thickness. :D Either way, awesometastic! :lol:

It's not a 2" thick piece of carbon fiber... it's chambered mahogany with a 1/8" thick archtop.

Looks amazing, but I prefer a little more visual flair in my $5k+ axes...

Looks like you're about 15 minutes late to the party.... :rofl:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Interesting guitar.

And speaking as a Brit, $5k... not bad for what it is (PRS 10 top price territory), as long as it plays & sounds immense.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
matt, that's a little more than a PRS Custom 22 w/ birds and 10-top here i think... or the same price.

and that is one fiiiiiiine lookin instrument! i want to play it! :yum: singlecut action

Reaction score
good acheivement

but dumb price tag for someone like me to pay for.
dats a custom ESP....mmmmmm

awesome lookin tho

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some quick shots I took during a short pause between passing her around (hence the fingerprints :lol:):

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_1.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_2.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_3.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_4.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_5.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_6.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_7.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_8.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_9.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_10.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_11.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_12.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_13.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_14.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_15.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_16.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_17.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_18.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_19.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_20.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_21.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_22.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_23.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_24.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_25.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_26.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_27.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_28.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_29.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_30.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_31.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_32.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_33.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_34.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_35.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_36.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_37.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_38.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_39.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_40.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_41.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_42.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_43.jpg

The carbon fiber REALLY moves around in person, as you can kinda tell from the photos. VERY cool guitar, sounds very unique and has a crazy amount of sustain to it too! :yesway: If I had that cash, I would own one, no doubt. :agreed:

')