Invader pickups?

• Thread starter Mr12ax7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Umm... in what guitar? 6 string or 7? What kind of music will you be playing?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on the guitar and what type of music you wish to play.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
only had bad to awful experiences with these pickups.

Invaders can be great, but again, it depends on the style of music and the guitar it's going into. I have a friend with the old Squier Tom DeLonge sig, a strat with a Duncan Designed Invader in the bridge (and basswood, if I'm not mistaken) and it sounded fantastic! But then, his style is post-punk/rockabilly, plenty of gain but no real definition needed. Worked for him, absolutely! :)

Correction: looked it up, the TDL Squier is alder, which makes more sense. My bad! ;)

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the guitar must be naturally very bright in order for the Invaders to maintain any sort of clarity. From what I've heard, you must be looking at ash/maple/ebony for the combination to work. Mahogany et al seems like a no go area.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
The invader actually sounds pretty good in my Ibanez MMM1. I'll put up some comparison clips with a BKP cold sweat in the same guitar soon.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Invader is kind of a "dark" pickup, so yeah, like it's been said above, it works better with "brighter" body woods like alder, maple, ash. I really liked the one I had in my alder Stagemaster FR7. It slays IMO.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I've had Invaders in a few different guitars, mainly Ibanez RG basswood and Ibanez S mahogany. Both were decent experiences, but I'd have to say that the best I've heard the Invaders was in a Samick LP copy. I liked the presence of the neck pup on a clean tone, and liked the mid range bite of the bridge pickup in a high gain application. That seems to be their areas of strength :yesway: The high output kinda left me wanting a tighter low end on my RG, but that's probably got a lot to do with the basswood also. But relief is at hand, this evening I just ordered a pair of BKPs. (yes, I finally bit the bullet) Ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge, and an alnico Cold Sweat in the neck :hbang:..about freakin' time.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
I just took my Invader out of my RG2610 and put the Full Shred back in. That Invader was going in that guitar no matter what anyone said, I had to have it! Anyway I'd describe the sound in the Basswood RG as barky. There was a ton of mids and bass. Pinch harmonics required a little more effort to pull off, and I had to keep the lows on my amp way down to keep it from farting out. The Full Shred is like the total opposite of that. It has a sweet high end sizzle and I can turn my lows back up without losing articulation. Seems to work real nice in basswood.

Inazone

Reaction score
I use an Invader (6) in the bridge slot of a basswood Jackson Dinky, and it sounds incredible. I'm playing death metal in standard tuning, and it keeps plenty of definition for that. Not sure that it'd be so good tuned down, but I've never tried. I also have an Invader in an ash Jackson, and it's a bit punchier compared to basswood.

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
I just it in a basswood Ibanez DTX-120 Destroyer and it sounds monstrous! I restrung the guitar the other day and had a run at it and it sounded great through the Dual Recto!

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I just took my Invader out of my RG2610 and put the Full Shred back in. That Invader was going in that guitar no matter what anyone said, I had to have it! Anyway I'd describe the sound in the Basswood RG as barky. There was a ton of mids and bass. Pinch harmonics required a little more effort to pull off, and I had to keep the lows on my amp way down to keep it from farting out. The Full Shred is like the total opposite of that. It has a sweet high end sizzle and I can turn my lows back up without losing articulation. Seems to work real nice in basswood.

I was actually deciding on which of either the Invader or Full Shred would work on the Bridge of an RG to mix with a Pearly Gates on the Neck. I'm used to the mids on a Dimarzio Breed so that initially drew me to the Invader, now I found that it's got ridiculous amonts of output so I'm not so sure. So looks like a Full Shred's the way to go for me now, or either a Custom 5 maybe.

Decisions decisions. :scratch:

dis89

Reaction score
I have an invader in washburn dsonic, mahogany body, bolted maple neck, sound very chunky an industrialized. refer to Nile albums.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
My KxK has is maple neck-thru w/ mahogany wings, and the Invader in the bridge sound incredible. It is dark, and I think the combination of being high-output in a dark guitar makes it very polarizing... it sounds awesome through some amps, and really bad through some others that might normally sound good.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
The bottom is pretty woofy on the invader. IMHO most definitely not a match for mahogany guitars or rectifiers its just flub city. I bought one back in the day cause Dime used to endorse it ( but he was actually playing Bill Lawrence the whole time I think) what I got couldnt be further from the Far Beyond Driven album tone I was after. They really are a mess to my ears. Although I haven't heardem in a brighter guitar like Alder or Maple. Pretty aggressive though at least. Hope this helps

It would be perfect if you were in like a real sludgy Kyuss style band or a messy "nontech" death metal band and had a really tight amp like a Splawn or Engl

')