Ionizers in RG7421PB

moikey

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I recently bought Ionizer 7s to revive my 9 year old RG1527, which I had to route to accommodate. I can't get that thing to get close to being in tune in Drop G with 10-64 gauge strings thanks to floating trem.

Anyway, I am interested in getting an Ibanez RG7421PB (sapphire!) which I would like to install the Ionizers into. My question is, will they fit without modification, or will I have to route again to accommodate? I'm handy with routers, having made some guitars from pine in the past lol, but I would rather just buy a guitar that would fit them rather than chop up a brand new axe. I've seen on here that some guys have installed D-Activators and Tone Zones in 7421s, but I'm not aware of the dimensions of these in comparison to the Ionizers (DiMarzio site is vague).

(EDIT: Apologies if wrong section, new here)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
You could also block the trem?

Also, why did you have to rout the 1527 for the Ionizers? They seem to be able to fit without any mods. Are they covered or something?

It's gonna be the same with the 7421.

moikey

Reaction score
I thought about blocking the trem, but I was in the market for a hardtail 7 for a while now anyway, so I'll go back to my original plan of crunchlab and liquifire for the 1527.

When I mounted them in, they were sticking out pretty far. The neck pickup was about 2mm over the edge of the fretboard. I wouldn't have routed them, but DiMarzio cables come right out of the bottom of the plate, and you end up with tilted in the bottom right corner. That is the pickup screwed down to the absolute maximum, so any adjustment without a route would have needed to be bridge adjustment and neck shimming, which I'm not a fan of.

If its the same as the 7421, I may consider the PRS SE 24/7 or the Chapman 7, if those are generous with cavity space.

Cbutler

Reaction score
while its possible, i dont suggest drop g on an SE 7 string.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
While I haven't swapped pickups on that exact model...I have swapped pickups(crunch lab and liquifire) in a newer standard 7421 and they fit with no modification. I don't think any of the current ibanez models require routing for dimarzios.

They used to leave a block of wood in the center of the pickup route to support the pickups. More recently they route the whole thing out and put foam under the pickup.

Swapping pickups is more popular than ever and most manufacturers are making it easier. I really doubt there would be any problems.

moikey

Reaction score
While I haven't swapped pickups on that exact model...I have swapped pickups(crunch lab and liquifire) in a newer standard 7421 and they fit with no modification. I don't think any of the current ibanez models require routing for dimarzios.

They used to leave a block of wood in the center of the pickup route to support the pickups. More recently they route the whole thing out and put foam under the pickup.

Swapping pickups is more popular than ever and most manufacturers are making it easier. I really doubt there would be any problems.

Thats good to know. My 1527 is from 2005. I remember it being one of the only 7 strings available at the time here in the UK. The 1527 had foam under the pickups to support them, but the Ionizer still was a bit bulky for the cavity. There's only 1mm or so difference with the crunchlab and Ionizers, but saying that, I doubt the Crunchlab would have fit the 1527 either. If the pickup cavities on Ibanez of late are 2mm deeper than the older 7s, I should be fine.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
Ive been wondering this same thing. I had to route my 1527 for illuminators (which is what I want to get ionizers for so, its routed either way already) but am also interested in those 7421PBs so this is good to hear.

')