Is a 27" scale length for me?

The Norsemen

A Viking
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing my first 7 string soon, and from what I gather a 27" scale length would be pretty kickass. :shred: my guitar I've been playing on for years is a 6 string with a 24.75" scale length.
The question I'm trying to find an answer to is will I be able to play on one?
Or is it going to be too big for me?
I'm not a huge guy and I hear you need to have big hands to play them.
I find that on my 24.75" guitar my fingers are all together when I have my hand around the 10th to 14th fret area and up.
I know that regardless I'm going to have to get used to playing on it.
Any and all insight would be immensely appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
I went from playing a 25.5 scale length 6 for the longest time to playing a 27 in. scale and it was a comfortable transition to me, but it wasn't anything extreme but to each their own. My suggestion would be if at all possible to try playing on a longer scale at your local guitar shop and decide for yourself if it would be a good fit for you.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i am sure Max is :ninja:ing me right now, but, here goes nothing :

you are taking about a 2.25" difference, which over 24 frets is < 0.1" / frets which isn't really a big deal.

however, the most relevant aspect is your hand size. if you are 5ft2 going to 27" may prove difficult, but as you say you seem to have normal hands, so it should be fine.

my experience shows me that within reason, there is practically no adjustment needed when going from 24.75" to 27" and back. i feel more the neck shape than the scale length.

you will be fine and have oodle of fun with b000talllZZZZ sound!!!

Reaction score
I recently switched to a 8 string guitar with a 28.625 scale, and it feels great. I also have an 8 string with a 27 scale, and the difference from a 25.5 to a 27 is very minor.

Reaction score
Nah dude it's no big deal, I'm playing on a 26.5" scale at the moment and transitioned from a 24.75" inch one straight into that. My hands are medium large and by no means freakishly large :lol:

It shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a guitar with a 27" scale at your local guitar store. Those PRS Mukshok (sic?) baritones are 27" I think..

')