Is an Ibanez GIO worth $100

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
So I have my Agile 727... which i love, and I am simply looking to aquire other 7 strings.

There is a Ibby GIO on my local CL for $100. Is there any value in having this guitar or would I be better off buying several bottles of Jack Daniels and playing my Agile?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
LMAO! I go with the Jack my friend :yesway:
On the other hand It wouldnt be bad for experimenting!

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
Worth $100? Yeah, worth getting if you have an Agile 727? No.

IMO anyway.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
Ok... so if I got it. What I am talking about to make it actually usable

$200-$300 in pickups?

What about electronics. New pots? I suppose if I went active tone wood no longer matters.

I have always said you can put EMGs on a Toast(ar) and they will sound like EMGs.

Reaction score
Ok... so if I got it. What I am talking about to make it actually usable

$200-$300 in pickups?

What about electronics. New pots? I suppose if I went active tone wood no longer matters.

I have always said you can put EMGs on a Toast(ar) and they will sound like EMGs.

hahaha thats awesome.

but i wouldnt sink too much money into it. the $50 guitarheads pickups sound pretty good and are definitely an improvement on the Gio pickups. and like i said, only $50.

id try and find something a bit nicer for $100 though. theyre out there, just keep your eyes peeled

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with buying that guitar.

If you can get it to sound like this:

(GIO 7 string in the video).

Plus I mean you could buy it and hold onto it.
Make it a project guitar, and pick up cool stuff for it overtime.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a huge Ibby fan, I'd take the booze over the GIO. :2c:

Reaction score
Booze or a great project. hmm. . . . . . . .

i dont know about you guys but im in quite a pickle here (well, since this im not the OP, im not REALLY in a pickle). getting smashed is fun but i do love working on guitars. . . . .

well the guitar lasts a shitload longer than and drink known to man (or me i should say) so i guess id go with the guitar just to have some fun

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
A project guitar shouldn't start at 100 bucks. The woods and quality of everything are probably really shitty, so spending money to change pickups and electronics wont matter much. A 100 dollar guitar will feel like a 100 dollar guitar, unless you start messing around with reshaping and refinishing the whole thing to suit your tastes better. But overall, in my opinion it's a bad idea to start a project guitar with a 100 dollar guitar. Shell out a couple hundred more for a much better built guitar with better materials, and then go nuts. Unless it's a project guitar where you literally just want to practice modding or refinishing it and not actually using it for actually playing much.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a GRG170DX (6 string GIO). It's surprisingly good. It sounds like ass, but it feels good. Then again, I might have just been lucky. Try it out first.

As said, it's probably best if you save up one or two hundred more bucks and get yourself something with a bit more quality.

D1nkum

Reaction score
i've played a couple GIO's.... and they really atrocious guitars.... i wouldnt bother tbh :| unless u could resell to someone for double lol

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
I'd only get it for "educational purposes". Learning and experimenting with wiring and painting it and so forth.

But if you already know thoose things, then no.

Latest posts

')