Is Devin Townsend Experimental?

• Thread starter PureImagination
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I've been listening to Devin since the Steve Vai's "Sex & Religion" and closely followed his releases until the DTB stuff. I feel like he hit his stride dynamically and harmonically in "Infinity" and hasn't really pushed into any new territory since then. While his riff-writing in the context of the heavy stuff is always top-notch, I feel like he found what he's good at, settled into a sound and has been coasting since. I used to be one of those people that thought he was a genius but after hearing Accelerated Evolution, I got really disenchanted with his music.

So in answer to the original post: no, I don't think he's experimental.

I'd love for somebody to recommend something that he's done in the last few years that will blow my socks off though and prove me wrong because I think he's such a great talent.

Aion

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of experimental. To me, something is experimental when you're not sure what the end result will be. And to a certain degree, all music is that, but the best example of what I'm talking about is an electronic music friend of mine who had a button on one of his pieces of gear that was called the, "what the ....," button. Because depending on what parts of his rig were on and what levels they were set to, the button would affect things differently. That is what I'm talking about.

Devin tries a bunch of different things in a bunch of different genres, if you've watched any of the videos detailing his production, he does play around, or experiment, to get some of the noises and sounds on his album. However, those things aren't the focus of the music. When it comes down to it, Devin is very much focused on traditional songwriting. It's eclectic songwriting, it's got some really weird stuff, but it's still your standard fare. To me, that makes him progressive, not experimental. He exists very much within traditional musical boundaries, but he does a lot to push them. So I guess I would say he experiments, but he does not make "experimental music," as I define it.

')