Is Guitar Center a good place to buy? what are your experiences?

• Thread starter MusicalBee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I worked at a small music store. The big guys usually beat our prices, but they didn't beat our service. Also, if you sell things close to cost you don't make much money. We only had to sell one guitar to their three in order to make the same profit.

Different business models have different priorities.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UCBmetal

Reaction score
I worked at a small music store. The big guys usually beat our prices, but they didn't beat our service. Also, if you sell things close to cost you don't make much money. We only had to sell one guitar to their three in order to make the same profit.

Different business models have different priorities.

Yeah man I worked at a smaller store for a while too, GC can't beat a place with employees that'll set up a used axe as part of the purchase price. I also feel like most non-GC music stores thrive by featuring a wider selection of more niche gear. The store I worked at does huge ESP buys, and although I can't understand how anyone likes those sawed off baseball bat necks, metalheads from all over come and snatch those up.

As far as my GC experience goes, though, never had any problems, and I've had great experiences picking up used gear online.

Eclectic

Reaction score
While I don't think any of the employees at Guitar Center are anything above par, I like to haggle with them, and I get good deals sometimes. When I got my JPX, I told them 20% off or I'm never buying from them again (I spent a lot of money there) and they budged. So I essential got $500 off.

TheAmercanLow

Reaction score
Guitar Center is fine. The staff is generally knowledgeable enough, and the prices are competitive for the most part.

artmachine

Reaction score
My only problem with guitar center is that the staff is very, very unkowledgeable, but this hasn't bothered me too much for years since I don't rely on what a GC employee is trying to pitch me. My most recent experience with this was I was trying out a head and the guy set it up for me and used the 16 ohm speaker out into the 4 ohm input of the marshall cab... I honestly couldn't believe it. And this was on top of him thinking the head I wanted to test out was a PA head before I had to find it for him.

But it's honestly great if you do your own research on gear because the prices are usually the best and since they're such a big chain, getting discounts and mark downs is sooo easy. I also do have to say that, 75% of the time, their online selection is awesome. They have a ton of stuff and a lot of the older/lesser known gear is very fairly priced. I guess my biggest advice is to just do your own research and try to gather your own opinions. Don't rely on what they say, do or try to push.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I've bought about $3500 worth of instruments from GC in the past year and it seems to me that when you buy used gear as opposed to new stuff the level of service drops a bit.
I e-mail them for pictures before calling the store directly to order used stuff so I can have another employee give me an in hand description of the instrument but sometimes they never respond to my request for pictures, and occasionally the pictures they send are even worse than the ones on the used site so I have to rely on the employees ability to accurately describe the condition of the instrument I'm buying.
When I called to buy a $2000+ bass they should have been able to have put an employee on the phone who knew the difference between a fretted and lined fretless bass, but I ended up having to return it after receiving it because he didn't.
In their defense though both times I had issues with my purchases my local Guitar Center handled it very professionally and had the problem resolved quickly and I'm sure that if I had been able to buy the instruments in person the issues never would have arisen (I may start using the "Ship to Store" option). I'd buy from them again because I know that if something goes wrong on their end with the order they will go out of their way to make things right and in person they're usually very helpful.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I go in Guitar Center to try out gear, then buy elsewhere I can find cheaper. I will buy from GC Lexington though, cause some of my good buddies work there and it puts money in their pocket when I'm only paying a little extra.

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
I never have a lot of problems with Guitar Center. Except the employees are dicks, some times. I did see an Ibanez 7321 in one GC, which had a large paint chip on the top near the jack. They wanted $500 for it. Nope.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I only buy stuff at guitar center like strings when they sell the ten packs for like 25 dollars, and i buy like 4 of them, so i never have to step foot in that store for a really long time. I would rather support my local mom and pop shop (which coincidentally is usually cheaper than guitar center), instead of going to GC.

Iron Beard

Reaction score
my problem is I buy a lot of stuff used off their website, but half of what I order is junk and dont work. i can take and return it to my local gc but they dont refund the shipping witch is what i have the biggest problem with. if i order something, then just dont want it and return it, thats 1 thing. but if it just flat out dont work i believe you should get 100% of you money back.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
my problem is I buy a lot of stuff used off their website, but half of what I order is junk and dont work. i can take and return it to my local gc but they dont refund the shipping witch is what i have the biggest problem with. if i order something, then just dont want it and return it, thats 1 thing. but if it just flat out dont work i believe you should get 100% of you money back.

Just go to the store and have them receive the used gear. Every GC I've lived by has done this, including the one over on Fullerton for Chicago folks, I understand how the one there may be a trek.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score

To be fair, that money goes to the shipping companies, not GC. They can't very well justify refunding you money they never got.

pentecost

Reaction score
i don't buy from banjo mart unless i'm walking in with a free survey gift card or i need something asap. calling any of the retailers under their corporate umbrella hasn't ever netted a positive result on "best prices" or anything like that. i suppose it makes a difference that i almost always buy used. i find that private sellers generally take good care of things, and if they don't they're willing to sell at a price that makes it worth my while to fix up.
this pretty much sums up my typical visit:

Reaction score
I've bought most of my stuff from GC and I always go in when they have deals like their $150 off a purchase, etc. I got my Paul Allender PRS SE For $440 after coupon and markdown.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
They are a mixed bag. If you are confident in doing your own setup work and find a deal, by all means, go for it.

The employees run the gamut from extremely nice and knowledgeable to moronic and D-bagish.

The problem I have with them is when ordering online and having it shipped to a store they usually don't open the box and ensure that nothing is f-ed up. Had that happen multiple times.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I will buy strings, picks, and other accessories from the store. Maybe a pedal if i see that it is boxed.

I will not buy a guitar or amp from the store.

As far as setup i don't trust them either. I'd rather go to a smaller local store where you can get that 'family' atmosphere over time when they get to know you and they're friendly and will correct something for free if they mess up or something. If you're fortunate to have one of those smaller places taht you can develop a relationship with guitar center isn't even needed

Panacea224

Reaction score
I've purchased several things from them and generally have had good experiences there. I like there return policy. As far as the staff goes it seems to be hit or miss as to whether they know their products.

Cappleton23

Reaction score
every single thing I or my previous bandmates bought from guitar center needed repairs after only a month or two. im convinced they pass off used and referbed gear as new. scumbags.

Osiris

Reaction score
I'd rather buy anywhere else and not pay 9.25% sales tax. Their used inventory has some great deals though if you're patient enough.

Latest posts

')