Is Ibanez 2228 where it's at?

• Thread starter DanielW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DanielW

Reaction score
Hello, first post here. I own no seven strings or ERG:s, but I have been eyeing an eight for a while.

I got to try out an Ibanez 2228 in the local guitar store (OK, in two of them, can't get enough), and also an Ibanez RGIR28 FE.

Now, the 2228 feels every bit as good as everyone says it is, no doubt about it. It also costs quite a bit more than the RGIR28 FE. I have no doubt that heavier price tag is justified, but what about the cheaper option?

I can't say I personally feel that much difference between the two, but then again, I'm not a very experienced guitarist, especially not with instruments with more than six strings.

Would it be stupid to settle for the Iron Label range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Jump on the 2228 immediately!!! Not saying the IL isnt good... But id kill for a genuine 2228!!

... And now going to play my RG8...

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
The chief complaint I hear about Ibanez is that there is too little difference in their quality curve. Price goes up, and quality only goes up a little.

All this really means is that Ibanez makes great guitars in all price ranges. I've got a cheap low-end RG and it sounds/plays great.

....So in other words, there's nothing wrong with Iron Label. It's hard to go wrong with any Ibanez, just pick one that suits your budget.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The chief complaint I hear about Ibanez is that there is too little difference in their quality curve. Price goes up, and quality only goes up a little.

I've heard the opposite. The jump from MiI to MiJ is pretty exponential, at least in recent years.

metale

Reaction score
RG2228.

Seems like the general consensus here is that you either got all the way to prestige, or you are better of modding a RG8 instead of spending more for an Iron Label, TAM10, etc.

M80M seems to be an exception, but you need to really like/want/need what it does.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Personally I'm totally happy with my RG8. Quality is way above it's pricepoint.
But if I were to pick up a nicer 8, I'd probably go with one of the Iron Labels, especially the multiscale one. The floating bridge on the RG2228 kind of turns me off cause they drive me up the wall enough on a sixer :lol:

If you couldn't feel much of a difference, I'd just go with the Iron Label. Just cause it's not MiJ doesn't mean that that specific individual Iron Label can't be an amazing guitar, QC doesn't say "this guitar was built to well to come from this factory," and I think a lot of people forget that. My younger brother's MiI RG421 plays almost as nicely as my MiJ S5470 Prestige.

And the awesome thing about guitars in general is that they hold a large chunk of their value if you treat them right, so if you get tired of the Iron Label, you can always just sell it and shell out an extra few hundred to jump up to the Prestige.

:2c:

metale

Reaction score
The RG2228's bridge is as fixed as it gets ;) It just has a locking nut and fine tuners.

DanielW

Reaction score
RG2228.

Seems like the general consensus here is that you either got all the way to prestige, or you are better of modding a RG8 instead of spending more for an Iron Label, TAM10, etc.

M80M seems to be an exception, but you need to really like/want/need what it does.

What mods are we talking on the RG8, apart from obviously replacing pickups? Neck still good?

metale

Reaction score
Neck is good, typical Ibanez. No fret problems or such on mine.

I went with that advice of the guys on settling for an RG8, and I'm not sorry for my choice. It will get pickups and a refinish (enough black guitars on my guitar stand!) and that's it. Hardware is solid, the guitar is almost good to go from the start.

DanielW

Reaction score
Neck is good, typical Ibanez. No fret problems or such on mine.

I went with that advice of the guys on settling for an RG8, and I'm not sorry for my choice. It will get pickups and a refinish (enough black guitars on my guitar stand!) and that's it. Hardware is solid, the guitar is almost good to go from the start.

OK, because an RG8 is like half the price of an Iron Label eight. Two thirds with mods included. Won't even require financial consideration on my part.

Oh, I might add, I only want fixed bridge, undecided on active vs passive pickups.

Now, the guy at the store said he had doubts the cheaper Ibanez eights have necks that would stand thicker strings for decent drop tuning (yes, I want to drop tune), but then again his job is to sell gear :)

metale

Reaction score
Lets put it this way: Javier Reyes suposedly used a neck of one of his RG8s for one of his LACS.

Kittenflower

Reaction score
OK, because an RG8 is like half the price of an Iron Label eight. Two thirds with mods included. Won't even require financial consideration on my part.

Oh, I might add, I only want fixed bridge, undecided on active vs passive pickups.

Now, the guy at the store said he had doubts the cheaper Ibanez eights have necks that would stand thicker strings for decent drop tuning (yes, I want to drop tune), but then again his job is to sell gear :)

I wouldn't worry about that at all, at those tunings it's going to be pretty loose tension anyway. I have a .090 on my RGA8 with no issues (aside tone issues :lol: )

DanielW

Reaction score
Another option would be the Jackson SLATFXMG, at 679 €, with EMG 808:s.

Anyone played this? I like Jackson in general, have only played sixstrings though.

Edit: Or rather, the Jackson SLATHXQ 3-8 with passive Duncans at about the same price.

metale

Reaction score
I have not tried it, but scale lenght is a touch shorter.

metale

Reaction score
It is not a world of diference probably, but as I see it, on an eight string every bit matters much more that on a six string (providing that the six string is not tuned to G or something like that).

On my 27" I need a 080 for drop E and that is pretty thick already.

cip 123

Reaction score
USED 2228.

Iron Labels quality is sketchy at best. A used 2228 will be a good price plus probably played in and set up properly, depending on previous owner.

Used 2228's go for silly low money I've seen one go as low as £650.

')