Is it good for your guitar to have a 10-52 +70 set?

• Thread starter MacTown09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MacTown09

Reaction score
Like will it slowly pull the headstock back and break the guitar or something? Is it going to be hard on a guitar to have this string set?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

behemoth91

Reaction score
most guitars have reinforced necks but still even if yours isnt i dont think you have to worry about that.

behemoth91

Reaction score
the tension will be psychotic but the odds of it breaking your guitars neck are pretty slim. i mean its wood against in comparison a rather small peice of metal string, plus it would make your guitars neck lurch forward if it did anything, and plus the bolts on guitars are really sturday and so are the neck woods of guitars. it takes alot of force to break a guitars neck, plus most of the time when you slam a guitar on the ground the neck and guitar at the bolt break off instead of damaging the neck or body. ive put a 0.056 gauge 2 whole steps higher then standard tuning to see if something like that could happe, nothing did. super tight as hell though.

Spondus

Reaction score
Considering loomis had a 70 tuned to B flat on a 26.5 scale, then no. I've used 11-70 in B before at 25.5 and not experienced a problem. The only issue may be fitting the string through the tuner (by partially unwinding it, IIRC the string I used was double wound so this required removing the first layer of winding when putting it through the peg)

Tell people what guitar you have, and then they can answer more specifically:yesway:

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
im intending to do this with my next set of strings...

MacTown09

Reaction score
Well i have a 7620 and a hellraiser C-7 i plan on doing this to. I have the strings. just thought about the tension problems after i put em on. I use a 66 on my schecter in standard. I am going to tune to Bb now though rather than standard

Spondus

Reaction score
Well i have a 7620 and a hellraiser C-7 i plan on doing this to. I have the strings. just thought about the tension problems after i put em on. I use a 66 on my schecter in standard. I am going to tune to Bb now though rather than standard

In which case you'll be fine in standard on both, I had my RG in Bb and B with the same gauges and experienced no problems. You may need to adjust your truss rod if the relief of your neck changes however.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible for the force of the strings to break the guitars neck. Odds are, you'd pull the bridge hardware out of it's routes before the strings would have enough force to cause catastrophic failure of the neck, even at it's weaker points, such as the nut. Even with relatively light gauge strings most necks have around 100lbs of tension on them, so upping the tension by a dozen or so pounds really won't cause serious issues.

You'd have to have reinforced ball end strings with a super heavy gauge (think the lower side of bass) tuned relatively high on all strings, before you'd be damaging your neck.

Chances are, you'll need to adjust the relief of the neck, but thankfully, your guitar has a truss rod just for that purpose.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Didn't SRV have a set of 13's tuned to standard E? Hell, i used to have 13's when i tuned my 6 stringer to B:D

Snoop

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i just had 10-52-64 on b-standart on 25.5 scale - everything was fine! I'm using 10-46+64 now - better for me.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
the tension will be psychotic
I don't get this. Why do people assume that larger gauges at lower tunings will have uneven tension?

A .70 tuned to B will have less than a pound more tension than a .52 tuned to E. That to me is a nearly properly balanced string.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
a .70 is perfectly balanced with a .52 in standard tunings.

and no, your neck won´t be damaged, go for it! :)

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
I don't get this. Why do people assume that larger gauges at lower tunings will have uneven tension?

A .70 tuned to B will have less than a pound more tension than a .52 tuned to E. That to me is a nearly properly balanced string.

He didn't say it would be unbalanced. He said the tension would be psychotic. And by that, he meant high. :yesway:

')