Is it wise to play or learn.....

• Thread starter TosinAsLeader
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TosinAsLeader

We sail at dawn
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to learn Meshuaggah songs on a six string? Would the notes be wrong since just about all their songs are 7 stringers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Meshuggah currently are using 8 strings. IICR, they used them on everything from Nothing onward.

That said, it's fine to learn them on an 8 string. Plenty of their songs don't require all 8 strings. If you have a shorter scale guitar, tuning might be a bit tricky. But there are plenty of threads about string tension and whatnot.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
You can do it... The problem is that some of the songs might be difficult to play all the way through on a 6er since they seem to have distorted rhythm parts that only involve he lower-most strings, but clean parts that only use strings 1 to maybe 4...

However, if you want to learn earlier Meshuggah, you may be in luck. Albums like Contradictions Collapse, I believe, were done on 6 or 7 stringed guitars.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Destroy Erase Improve should also have been all 6ers, I think.

Unless that was their first 7 album?

evan9198

Reaction score
I guess in the end, it is ALWAYS a good idea to lean Meshuggah songs, even if its a six string. But like everyone else said, I'd try their 7 string stuff first.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I think you can learn most songs up to Nothing on 6 string tuned to Bb provided you have 24 frets (Future Breed Machine needs only 22 frets iirc), with 7 string its going to be easier because its what they used. If you want to learn their Nothing and later album songs you'll need 7 string tuned to 8 string tuning minus the highest string.

MyNameIsMax

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure their old stuff is played on a six. Right now they play on eights so I wouldn't recommend learning their newer stuff

Toxic Dover

Reaction score
Everything up until Chaosphere (I think...?) used 7's... It may be a bit tricky to tune a 6 down to F to play the 8 string material, though.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
You can learn the intro riff to Dancers to a Discordant System. And that should keep you occupied for weeks XD

Given To Fly

Reaction score
You could tune up or put a capo at the 1st fret of your 6 string guitar and learn everything an octave up. The sound would definitely be clearer than a 6 string tuned as an 8 string. Then , if you get an 8 string, you won't have to change anything technical. :yesway:

Grandma

Desk Jockey
Reaction score
In terms of transposition they may not be the right notes. You could make an exercise out of it by playing on a 6-string in standard and transposing everything, staying in the same pitch class, where it's needed. There might be some cases where it might not work but at the very least you could arrange new pitches in order to maintain rhythm. Make for some good right hand exercises! Won't sound as heavy but when you get that 7 or 8 your right hand will be ready to go and you won't have to move your left hand around as much.

TosinAsLeader

We sail at dawn
Reaction score
You could tune up or put a capo at the 1st fret of your 6 string guitar and learn everything an octave up. The sound would definitely be clearer than a 6 string tuned as an 8 string. Then , if you get an 8 string, you won't have to change anything technical. :yesway:

Ok so what tunning would I tune in with a capo? This is an honest question. Please no more bad reps for being honest :/

SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Reaction score
It's always good to learn any type of song or a different instrument. You'll see that Meshuggah's guitarists are more bassist than guitarists.

jimwratt

Reaction score
I have yet to own a 7 or 8 stringed instrument, but I'm learning a few Animals as Leaders songs (as best I can). Its hard, not always impossible, but will require some position shifting and stretches.

TosinAsLeader

We sail at dawn
Reaction score
I have yet to own a 7 or 8 stringed instrument, but I'm learning a few Animals as Leaders songs (as best I can). Its hard, not always impossible, but will require some position shifting and stretches.

I am curious, what songs are you learning?

')