Is it worth getting a 6505+ combo just to use it as a head?

• Thread starter HolyHateBeam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HolyHateBeam

Reaction score
So a Peavey 6505+ 1X12 combo popped up on my local classifieds for a good price, but since I don't like Sheffield speakers and already have a 4x12 with V30s, i'm just wondering if it's worth buying it just for the head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd personally hold out for a *real* 6505+ head :2c: I've seen some go used for as low as $450, and they'll almost certainly last longer than the Chinese combo since they're built like friggin' tanks.

The 112 combo version uses a slightly different preamp section that has harsher mids that are hard to dial out, even with an EQ in the loop. A friend of mine has one, and compared to my old band mate's Block Letter through the same cab, the combo has some boxy characteristics. If you're concerned about volume, the 60 watt combo still needs to be pushed to get the best sound and ends up only being softer than the head version by a nominal margin. 60 watts still packs a wallop!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Even if the head is the better option, you'll still have a great sounding gig ready rig with the combo plus the 4x12. Hard to do better at that price range for heavy music.

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
It's not a bad option if you've got the money but as it's already been said maybe you should hold out for a 6505+. I just saw one go locally for $450 so you might get lucky.

My first tube amp was actually a 6505+ 1x12 combo. My dad and I chopped it up and turned it into a head. It was pretty cool actually. I sold it a few years back but a local band's guitarist is still rocking it.

But if you were looking to do a fun project that might be an option.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 41

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
If you can get it cheap its worth it. It works better for low volume stuff but is made in china.

vick1000

Reaction score
They are good at less than $300, and you know how to fix the FX loop issue (if you use the loop). It's a fun project to make into a head unit.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
60w high gain head for $300? Yes please. I've even seen some go for 250 just because the tolex is beat to hell.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Plenty of people have modded the combo into just a head, a nice way to reduce some weight and size if you have zero plans to use the speaker.

ZigglesShredsSevens

Reaction score
I've been mauling this over for a few months. So with the actual head in mind, are there any other alternatives you guys would suggest?

beneharris

Reaction score
I've got mine turned into a head as well, and I run it into a 2x12. For what I paid for it, I'm happy. Nice little amp. :yesway:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Personally I'd wait to get an actual head and pull the two outer power tubes if volume was a concern.

I read up on the OP's exact idea quite a bit when I was last looking for an amp. I ended up just buying an AMT P2 and running that into the FX loop of my current amp.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I have one of the old 5150 2x12 combos, and you can unplug the power amp from the cab section and use it to power a speaker cab.

FWIW... Why not just replace the god-awful Sheffield paper speakers, though? I put 2 Celestion G12k100 speakers in, retubed it and changed the tube in the phase inverter spot from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 (makes the gain much more usable and smoother, with less of that typical 5150 fizz)... all of this cost me about $250 and sounds amazing. :yesway:

Latest posts

')