Is it worth it to ship an agile to australia?

• Thread starter bondical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bondical

Reaction score
Okay, so im definitely interested in purchasing this beauty (Agile Intrepid Pro 828 EB CP Nat Ash - RondoMusic.com) but im wondering if it is risky to get it shipped to Australia (where I live) all the way from the US. I've heard of duds but I do have a guitar tech who is proficient with 8 strings. If not, I'm thinking of getting an RGA8. What guitar has better quality, and what would be best for a EA EADGBE tuning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
I'd be weary of shipping an Agile to Aus purely because if you get a lemon, your more or less stuck with it since you can't return it. I'd take the safer bet and go for an RGA 8.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
The RGA 8 would be the winner in my eyes.

I was originally interested in Agiles because I was seeing pics in threads on this very site years ago and saw some instruments with decent hardware and some pretty solid features for the price (ebony boards, neck thru, apparent decent fretwork, etc) and I ordered a Septor Pro 7 as part of a custom run.
I now have a theory that Rondo ship the lemons to other countries and keep the A grade stuff within the US, to avoid returns. The Septor Pro 7 I ordered and waited 6 or 8 months for, I owned for about 2 weeks and it had many issues, and after including the compulsory hardcase, and compulsory shipping through UPS (ie; far from the cheapest or the best company) I was out around a grand, for a guitar which a bottom of the line Ibanez RG7321 shat on. This was going back around 3 or more years ago though, so maybe quality has risen, or they've stopped sending the ones with massive issues overseas.

Either way, the Agile would be a gamble, whereas with the Ibanez you pretty much know what you're getting.

chromaticdeath

Arpeggio Fom Hell
Reaction score
by the time you buy the guitar, the case to ship it in, pay customs and freight, it would be cheaper to go with the RGA8, Icon music in West Ryde have them for a little over a grand, it's where i got mine from

Kharem

Reaction score
Ya there are some posts like this on whirlpool and overclockers.net and the general result seems to be people going with rga 8's (or the rg 8 now I guess? don't really look into 8's that much) but along with the horror stories there seems to be some good ones, but as oracles said if you do get a shit one you can't replace or return it. I would say if you really like the look of them and your really set on them just keep an eye out on 2nd hand forums and ebay, might be lucky enough to find one close enough to try it out, there actually seems to be a fair few agile 8's and 9's around aus on 2nd hand places. Resale on them seems to be pretty low as well so might be able to pick something up pretty cheap. There was actually a white agile 8 up on ebay yesterday here in Aus, not sure what model or where it was but it was only used like twice. But ya I would say just keep an eye out on ausband.com or the bmusic forums or something, just means you don't get many options with choice but at least its a bit more likely that you will get a good one than a dud.
Good luck I guess, its probably not that big a risk and they are pretty cool, just if you get a shit one its pretty fucked if you don't want to spend a fair chunk on getting it fixed somewhere.

Reaction score
Avoid. For as many good guitars as people get, there are still a decent number of lemons from them, and with no return policy, plus the extra cost, it isn't worth it imo.

Adam Partridge

Cheese toucher
Reaction score
Depends if you'd be prepared to tune to E1 on 27" scale...? I got a Septor 828 shipped to the UK, no problems with it, arrived set up approx as well as my Hellraiser.
It's tuned EBEADF#BE & i think even 28.625" is slightly too short for the E1. Using a .090 string makes it useable. I do like quite high tension so i ruled out the RGA8 due to the short scale.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Depends if you'd be prepared to tune to E1 on 27" scale...? I got a Septor 828 shipped to the UK, no problems with it, arrived set up approx as well as my Hellraiser.
It's tuned EBEADF#BE & i think even 28.625" is slightly too short for the E1. Using a .090 string makes it useable. I do like quite high tension so i ruled out the RGA8 due to the short scale.

You drop your third string to F#? I agree about the scale length. I wasn't completely satisfied with E1 on my Intrepid 828, but I only went up to .080.

EDIT: Back on topic, buying new from Agile, I've had some issues (missing saddle screws, clear coat imperfections). Agile makes decent guitars, but to me, they don't feel as good in my hands as a Schecter or Ibanez. Also, having no return option in the case of a lemon would be enough to turn me away.

bondical

Reaction score
wow, i waited for half an hour no responses. just woke up, and I have a whole page of replies. thanks guys, im thinking of getting an rga8 and dropping some dimarzio d'activator 8s in there.

chromaticdeath

Arpeggio Fom Hell
Reaction score
There is a guy in Qld who brings in Agiles and sells them on ebay, he said he can bring in which ever one you want, takes the hassel out of importing

Reaction score
There is a guy in Qld who brings in Agiles and sells them on ebay, he said he can bring in which ever one you want, takes the hassel out of importing

Imo, go with the RGA8 in West Ryde at icon music Chromaticdeath was talking about or even try the ltd SC-608 or any other of the Ltd 8's, i personally like the sc-608 better than the rga8/agile but i guess its all preference

:hbang:

bondical

Reaction score
Imo, go with the RGA8 in West Ryde at icon music Chromaticdeath was talking about or even try the ltd SC-608 or any other of the Ltd 8's, i personally like the sc-608 better than the rga8/agile but i guess its all preference

yeah for sure, but the sc-608 here is so expensive :(

chromaticdeath

Arpeggio Fom Hell
Reaction score

The SC-608 is a nice guitar but a little exy, LTD do have much cheaper 8's but they are all 25.5" scale :noway:. Do yourself a favour and speak to James at Dream Music, they are a big Ibanez and Dimarzio dealer, i'm sure he will do you a deal on a new RGA8 and a DA8 pup swap :hbang:

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so im definitely interested in purchasing this beauty (Agile Intrepid Pro 828 EB CP Nat Ash - RondoMusic.com) but im wondering if it is risky to get it shipped to Australia (where I live) all the way from the US. I've heard of duds but I do have a guitar tech who is proficient with 8 strings. If not, I'm thinking of getting an RGA8. What guitar has better quality, and what would be best for a EA EADGBE tuning?

FWIW I bought 1 from Rondo and imported it over and took the risk. Slight imperfection, sorted out one of the frets which was a tad high and a set up and it was fine. If you want the Agile go for it :shrug:

Note that I had no interest in an RGA8 :lol:

Also note that I sold the Agile :lol:

I'd save up a little bit more and look for a used Carvin DC800 or an RG2228 if I had to do it all over again :2c:

7JxN7

Reaction score
PM this guy......

eBay My World - daos_27

He only lists lefty's but will bring in whatever you want with payment upfront, quoted me $1800 for the 10 string

I have bought gear from this guy before, He doesn't live too far away from me from what I gather. The gear worked well and was in top condition, However I do think his prices are a little high. It took me a long time to talk him down to a number where I felt I was getting a fair deal.

Reaction score
The SC-608 is a nice guitar but a little exy, LTD do have much cheaper 8's but they are all 25.5" scale :noway:. Do yourself a favour and speak to James at Dream Music, they are a big Ibanez and Dimarzio dealer, i'm sure he will do you a deal on a new RGA8 and a DA8 pup swap :hbang:

The Sc-608B is 27" scale, imo its well worth it. Talk to Shane at Bmusic, he will hook you up, i've bought tonnes of stuff from there and they've been nothing but perfect. Also if you have any problems with it etc, you can send it back. If you buy the agile and don't like it your screwed.

Kharem

Reaction score
The Sc-608B is 27" scale, imo its well worth it. Talk to Shane at Bmusic, he will hook you up, i've bought tonnes of stuff from there and they've been nothing but perfect. Also if you have any problems with it etc, you can send it back. If you buy the agile and don't like it your screwed.
I don't think the baritone sc's are worth it over here at all, I'm not sure if its different over in the us but its almost triple the price for the baritone version of either the 7 or 8 making it 600 for the 25.5 8 and 1600 for the 27, considering some of the guys think 27 is a bit short for an 8 without some massive strings I would rule out the ltd's in general.

Latest posts

')