Is it wrong that lately I've been having more fun playing my bass than my guitar?

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
holy mother of old threads!

so how's the bass technique coming along then, Drew?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sentient

Metal Dog
Contributor
Reaction score
Leon said:
holy mother of old threads!
It's rare that I think to look at the date & time of a post, as I usually just click & start reading... And then it kinda catches me off guard when I find myself on page 3 and realize the thread is almost a year old...:lol:

jacksonplayer said:
However, to really play bass well, you have to *think* like a bassist, and that's some frightening f*cking territory, right there... :nuts:
I just happened to be taking a drink as I read that and damn near spewed Mountain Dew all over my work pc :lol:.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol:

I switched back to guitar soon after - buying the CST and then falling in love with the UV all over again did it for me.

I'm beginning to play less guitar-y lines, though... :)

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
No poll here, lol.

I was referring to this thread being one of those that is uber old and being brought up, lol...The next thing is to end the poll brigade!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think it's good for guitarists to play at least a little bass, just because it gets you thinking inside the ensemble more. Am I wierd in that my five-string has a high C rather than low B?:nuts:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, I've always thought it'd be fun to tune a bass that way, and then play peices written for just bass and drums...

But yeah, as a seven string guitarist, that's weird. ;)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Last time I left it though it was tuned BADGC... Slightly more metal. I just love that tenor bass sound Stanley Clarke had, and it's great to have that high string for chords and tapping.
Actually, I a while ago I arranged the 'Giant Steps' changes for bass using classical-style fingerpicking. Would anyone like me to post that?

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
I have a 6 string bass, and I switch between that, my acoustic, my 12-string acoustic, and my electric often.

I say it's best to learn several instruments. ;)

I'm also going to get either a 7 or 8 string bass, when I get enough money.

(Big basses are the most fun.)

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
I was a bass player first actually. First guitar was my washburn bass, then my yamaha pacifica guitar, and then my RG1570L. Then I was asked to play bass for a show so I started playing bass more often then guitar. I soon after bought my 6 string Brice bass and hardly ever played electric because there wasn't a need for it since I wasn't playing it in the band (Which I was asked to join after the show) I still played, but I played bass more. I consider myself a much better bass player than electric guitarist (And im not too shabby on electric) I learned all that slap and pop and bass tapping shit, never actually applied it to an original with the band though, cause, well, the bands music sucked :lol:

I haven't picked up my bass since I was kicked out of the band in November, and so it's been electric and some acoustic tight out. I only play the bass if im recording a bass line for an idea for a song I might have. Other than that, it just sits there looking pretty.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
old threads are actually pretty cool. you can really see how people's ideas and rigs change through time. and i always look at the dates. i'm facinated by time i think :)

')