Is it wrong that lately I've been having more fun playing my bass than my guitar?

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is weird... maybe it's because it's new, but I REALLY enjoy this thing. I'm trying to learn how to do all that slapping and popping stuff, and I suck at it, but I've been playing it a lot lately, jamming along to some of the bassless backings I've put together so I won't forget song ideas recently and trying to find cool little syncopations that add to the groove, and it's just cool.

Besides, I love how those super low notes sound. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'll play for a while then grab my Universe, and it just feels awesome to rip on that thing, but I think I'm more excited about learning how to play bass recently (I've been on a tapping binge lately, and my fingers hurt like hell, but I'm starting to het Stu Hamm's version of the "Always..." chord changes down, and it's just too cool for words. :D).

Does this mean I have to stop showering and give up on ever having sex again, or is that only if I pick up the drums? lol

-D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
You'll get that way after a while, after you get a bass. Then you'll get more balanced on playing them. i was that way when i first got a bass, too. Now i play the Uni's more again ;p

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
while i was playing bass in this psuedoband with some buddies, i seriously neglected my guitars. i think because it was something new, and i was learning so fast on it, that i just plum forgot about my guitars :)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Playing bass is so fun. I love picking up the bass and jamming out. Though I dont get into slap bass playing, I enjoy just playing with my fingers.
Once in the while I'll play with a pick.

5-string basses are equally as fun as playing a 7-string guitar.
I write alot of my songs with the bass line first.
First I start with a drumbeat and write the rhythm with bass.
Then I lay the guitars.

I love 80's style bass playing. Very melodic. It creates a wide space for guitars.

I also find that old bass lines from motown songs to The beatles to any classic band from the 60's to the 70's has great bass playing.

Playing bass expands my tastes for other music. You can incorporate many styles on the bass to only make your guitar playing truly unique.

I started playing bass in 1989. I got bored with it and moved up to guitar in 1990. Since then, I've always found myself playing bass anytime I was around a bass.

Bass is awesome and very cool how you're enjoying your new bass, D. :)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I love playing bass, but almost always a different kind of music than what I play guitar to. I leave my guitars at my drummer's house/my bands practice space a lot, so I play bass when I'm at home, and it's a lot of fun, as well as building up stronger fingers.

Some of my favorite bands to play along to are Coheed and Cambria, Green Day, Reel Big Fish, Muse, Tool, Incubus, Finger Eleven's newest album, Billy Talent, etc.

I find I play (mostly) less heavy stuff on bass than on guitar, probably because the heavier the song (usually) the less interesting the bass line.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Some of my favorite bands to play along to are Coheed and Cambria, Green Day, Reel Big Fish, Muse, Tool, Incubus, Finger Eleven's newest album, Billy Talent, etc.

:yesway: Finger Eleven's newest has some great bass work. I love that band, have since I first picked up Tip based on the strength of Quicksand.

Incubus has some great bass playing too. I used to have a blast playing along to some Dave Matthews stuff, that guy writes some really fun basslines to play.

I actually played bass in a band for six years, so even though I've been playing guitar longer I probably actually have more hours playing bass.

So Drew, what's your new bass? Any pics?

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i think Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer was my favorite song to jam to. Tony Levin rocks my socks!

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
I think it's normal. My wife got a Yamaha Attitude ( sea foam green ) and well,, she goes to work before I do,,,so yeah,,, I played it alot :) It is fun.

~A

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I owe you guys pics and a review, don't it? It's an Ibanez Ergodyne EDA-905. I'll take a few pics tonight and post 'em from work tomorrow if I get a chance, and go write a review now.

I find I'm playing... Idunno. Lots of solo, melodic suspended-y stuff when I pick up a bass - I'd say it was a Gordian Knot influence, but I used to do that whenever I'd pick up a bass prior to buying "Emergent" on a whim (and being floored :D), too, so who knows. That and tool-like stuff.

It's just a nice change, and you're right, my seven's a breeze after I put down the bass (especially now that I brought the bass's action up a bit - I have to be more careful when fretting, but it's mostly buzz-free and much better for slapping now). :hbang:

-D

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
wildealien said:
i think Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer was my favorite song to jam to. Tony Levin rocks my socks!

Tony Levin's awesome. :yesway:
Verdine White is - :cool: !
Also cant forget P-Nut from 311. :)

rgplayer

Reaction score
Hey, Drew i am glad you are happy with your bass,because i am loving the 7620 i got from you. I am having the same problem as you are except it makes me not want to play my 6.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hahaha, awesome, glad you're in the same boat and the 7620's working out for you. :hbang:

My poor strat, though, between not wanting to play my 6 because I'm hooked on my 7, and not wanting to play my 7 as much because of the new bass, the thing's gotta be feeling pretty neglected. :lol:

-D

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
My poor strat, though, between not wanting to play my 6 because I'm hooked on my 7, and not wanting to play my 7 as much because of the new bass, the thing's gotta be feeling pretty neglected. :lol:

It's a good thing we're all guitarists here, to us this makes perfect sense, other people might think you're a little nuts...

...which I'm sure we all are :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. I wasn't playing it, and with the Tremol;-no, it made no sense to keep a spare on hand for alternate tunings, as I could retune the UV on the fly. It was too nice a guitar to just let gather dust, and like I said, I needed a new bass to record with. I miss that thing, but I feel like it was the right decison.

Besides, we got Jeff hooked on 7's too ;)

-D

BCrowell

Cubicle Dweller
Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly go through those same stages. Sometimes to be fresh on regular guitar you have to set it down and pick something else up for a while.

After picking up bass, you pay attention to the bass lines in music allot more. You'll find some unexpected pleasures in allot of music that way. We're so into guitar, that we'll concentrate on that, and miss the total picture. I'll be sitting there, hear an awesome bassline, and just be floored, and have to learn it!

I remember learning Stu Hamms version of Star Trek!!

When it comes to adding a baseline to my music, it's very enjoyable to me. Writting something different, that adds to the music, but still supports the rythym. When you do that, the guitars, the vocals, the keys, and of course play the drums too...then it's very satisfying in the end.

So in all, play away...nothing wrong with it, it'll only make you a better guitarist & musician overall.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Yeah. I wasn't playing it, and with the Tremol;-no, it made no sense to keep a spare on hand for alternate tunings, as I could retune the UV on the fly. It was too nice a guitar to just let gather dust, and like I said, I needed a new bass to record with. I miss that thing, but I feel like it was the right decison.

Besides, we got Jeff hooked on 7's too ;)

-D
Yeah, Thats always a good thing too. Glad you made out with the bass. ;)

The 7620s will always be out there...............

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
LOL yeah I do the same thing from time to time...

Wait til you break down and buy yourself a fretless and a few Jaco Pastorius albums! Love making the thing grrrrrowl.:drool:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I love playing bass! And I tell you what, you get a great finger workout doing that. You play a bass for a few days, and then playing guitar feels very easy and effortless.

However, to really play bass well, you have to *think* like a bassist, and that's some frightening f*cking territory, right there... :nuts:

')