Is My RG470 Worth Saving?

• Thread starter zw470
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zw470

Reaction score
Bought her new in 2002. Kinda depressing thinking back and being able to buy an MIJ Ibanez for $400. She's trashed from sitting cased in a dank garage for a decade.

86FA6342-5C54-4E41-B720-59920ACA5997.jpeg

Obviously I'd have to replace all the hardware and electronics, but I'm comfortable doing that myself. Some nice non-locking tuners, an OFR and I'm thinking of going with the JR Daemonum set with another Retro-Active single coil in the middle position.

383D8901-2EA5-4BA9-A33E-41B85E3D2875.jpeg

My real concern is the frets. I think they're too far gone for polishing to revive.

66F0624C-842E-402D-A498-8F56077EEDF4.jpeg

I figure I have 3 options here assuming polishing is unsuccessful...
1. Have it professionally refretted, seems like the most reasonable option but I have no idea of what the cost might be
2. Refret it myself, I'd have to buy all the tools and quite honestly would probably never use any of them again
3. Buy a neck off Reverb/eBay, this would probably be the simplest solution but then the only original part left would be the body itself

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
1.Do it yourself, have a guitar you bond with and learn from and probably never want to give up.
2.Pay some one to do it, 50/50 shot that its going to be playable when you get it back, nor worth it in the end of how much it'd cost, or might get a banger. Your money talks.
3. Buy a neck, and always wonder if the above options would have been a better option as you're already bringing up a "Ship of Theseus" mentality with it.

Just my opinion, I say fuck it and learn how to do it yourself. Why wouldnt you use the tools again?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
100% agree with @CanserDYI . Perfect opportunity to bring it back to life and continue learning how to do some things. I'd try to save that neck. I'd check the relief and adjust accordingly. Then start on those frets. They're in horrible condition but depending on how pitted they are you could absolutely save them. May not even need to be crowned or leveled. Seems like the perfect chance to bring her back from the dead. Good luck and post up if you decide to do this project.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Yeah as long as the neck isn't warped to all hell it really just looks like it needs cleaning.

I have one of those from a couple years earlier and it is the best guitar I've ever played. I'd save it.

nickgray

Reaction score
I figure I have 3 options here assuming polishing is unsuccessful...

The trem seems to be the biggest problem, imo. Seems like a lot of work to clean, and some of those bolts might be corroded af, the saddle bolts look like they might turn to dust if you sneeze on them. I'd just replace the whole thing. You'll need to route for the OFR though. You might also have a nasty hump in the heel part of the neck. Now this might warrant a fret replacement depending on the severity. The corrosion looks scary, but I think it's just a cleaning job.

What were you storing in that garage? Sea water?

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Fret polish and you should be good to go if the electronics work. Although the bridge looks like it needs some work though. If you're comfortable doing all the work yourself? Restore it yourself.

zw470

Reaction score
Really I don't even want to save any of the hardware. I always hated the color and the "stigma" of the Lo-TRS not being an Edge. I remember when I bought it the shop actually had an RG570 as well, and even though that was what I really wanted I had to settle for the 470 since I was just a poor high school student.

You'll need to route for the OFR though.

Really? From my Googling I was under the impression the OFR and studs should be a drop-in replacement for the Lo-TRS.

What were you storing in that garage? Sea water?

:lol:

Why wouldnt you use the tools again?

I don't play enough to wear out frets, so unless I let another guitar go to hell this would be a one-time thing. It's not a deal-breaker by any means, I just wanted to be honest with myself.

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. This weekend I'll sit down with the fret-polishing kit and a 12-pack to see what kind of progress I can make :cheers:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Some fine steel wool on the frets will have them looking brand new.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? From my Googling I was under the impression the OFR and studs should be a drop-in replacement for the Lo-TRS.

The OFR should fit and the studs and anchors are the same ( 6mm thread studs on both).
You'll be surprised how well all that stuff will clean up.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Yeah I put an ofr in mine (well it was the Ping version off a Wolfgang. I think they're the same shaoe) and it fit the original studs and route perfectly EXCEPT I had to chisel the rounded front corners of the recess square. But that's pretty easy. It's only about an eighth of an inch and it's basswood.

srob7001

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Zakk Wylde fan? I think I know you from another forum.

Nice new cab!

I think you can save the guitar.

If the neck will adjust straight I would sand the frets with polishing pads or 0000 steel wool to see if it helps. If not, just buy a new neck and swap it on the body.

Just A Box

Reaction score
My nephew was gifted a Prestige that was heavily neglected. Not quite as bad as yours, but close. Complete disassembly to the smallest part, cleaning, buffing, oiling, polishing and it went from unusable to pretty respectable with zero parts replacement.

“She might not look like much kid, but she’s got it where it counts.”

Attachments

• F1E0C3F5-B197-4149-9DE5-09F04069D0EA.jpeg
    F1E0C3F5-B197-4149-9DE5-09F04069D0EA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 45
')