Is Neural Releasing an SLO?

• Thread starter Necky379
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can already A/B them easily. I did not buy a single NeuralDSP plugin when they were on sale last year because they did not do anything I can't get of Helix Native or the ML Sound Lab plugins I already own.

If loading them in a DAW is a bit annoying and complicated, try a live VST host software like Cantabile 3, Gig Performer or Main Stage. They are meant more towards live use and I like using Cantabile 3 as a simple late night practice setup. I have a couple of presets saved with different plugin setups and just load one of those. The paid versions of Cantabile 3 offer even more features to play with.

Messed with the SLO plugin a good bit and it's really good! Easy to use, good sounding fx, good sounding amp sim. If I wanted a SLO sound on something this would be the one to get.

Well that was a roller-coaster. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is probably one of the complete suites so far. Fortin/Granophyre has no time-based effects while Archetype is too scattershot. This is honestly probably the only suite I'd buy permanently (after I already sold everything I owned)

Looks like single amps are "suites" nowadays. These guys really know how to sell themselves :lol:

laxu

Reaction score
Well that was a roller-coaster. :lol:

Well I did not say I was buying it, just that it's a good plugin! But ultimately if you have a couple already with a bit of tweaking those will do the same things as NDSP plugins do.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Looks like single amps are "suites" nowadays. These guys really know how to sell themselves :lol:

I mean other amp suites (Mercuriall ReAxis/Euphoria, ML Sound Labs etc etc) are all one amp + IRs + effects. This is just them releasing something in line with everyone else.

It's hard to really call a foul when you can try before you buy.

I'm no NDSP shill, but outside some tomfoolery with the QC, most of the "e-h8" they get feels manufactured.

In some level I'm glad for their product because honestly, it makes great guitar tones accessible. Everyone likes to jerk off about having tube amps and 4x12 but that's a big investment vs a digital creation that about 90% close to the actual thing but less than 10% of the investment. People just hate them because great amp tones isn't something that confined to the analog realm more.

laxu

Reaction score
In some level I'm glad for their product because honestly, it makes great guitar tones accessible. Everyone likes to jerk off about having tube amps and 4x12 but that's a big investment vs a digital creation that about 90% close to the actual thing but less than 10% of the investment. People just hate them because great amp tones isn't something that confined to the analog realm more.

I think it's a tough pill to swallow for some that a 100 euro plugin could give you similar tones to a 4100 euro amp or even a top tier modeler like an Axe-Fx. It's taken quite long for plugins to catch up. Guitar Rig 5 came out in 2011 and so did the Axe-Fx 2 so even as little as 9 years ago there was a gobsmacking difference in what plugins could do.

Getting started with them is now easier than ever. You can find some stock presets you like in any NeuralDSP or ML Sound Lab plugin and that's going to give you a great, recording ready sound without really learning anything about operating the plugin.

There's still of course totally valid reasons to own the hardware boxes. Less latency, better integration with external hardware, not relying on your computer processing power and so on.

Same goes for the real amps. They are simple to use, just plug one into a great amp and turn it loud and you should be grinning as you riff away. I know I am every time I plug into my Bogner or Victory.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest most of the hate they get is because of their Steven Slate style marketing and how overhyped their stuff is.

I really like their plugins (I use Archetype: Plini, which I got as a present), what I don't like is the media circus around them, and specially the fact they refuse to release a proper "suite", that allows the user to combine all their stuff. I'm not paying +100€ per plugin if not being able to do it.

Spinedriver

Reaction score

I'm guessing that they figure if someone is willing to drop $100 on an AMT 'amp sim' pedal or a Mooer Mini-Pre amp, why not $100 for a 'single' amp that also has a few extra effects thrown in for good measure. The BIG difference being however, is that once you get tired of the pedal, you can always sell it and get some money back. If you get tired of the plug in and find you really don't use it that much, you kinda just have try and get your money's worth out of it.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To each their own but I've had no problems with NeuralDSP plugins other than taking forever to narrow down which ones are relevant to my own sound.

You obviously can always use something else with an IR loader & get away with it but I like the workflow with Neural most than other plugins.

Gojira was the last one that impressed me most, having 3 amp heads & 6 IR's loaded up that remmember their place is pretty convenient. I love the over simplistic & straightforward approach too.

I've still yet to try the Soldano emulation though so my choice may change when I demo.

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
It sounds pretty great. They should have charged $111. That would have been a fun Soldano reference.

What this is is great marketing. Many people will never afford a real SLO. And some who buy this will say "hey I like this" and buy an SLO. Others will see the Brand more. Etc.

BAD made a lot of little mistakes marketing the SLO and Soldano so far. But this is good marketing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But this is good marketing.

This times 1000.

If I was a boutique amp maker I'd be banging down NDSP's, or really any top tier plug-in maker, door to get something like this.

Omega were genius. They know so few will actually have an opportunity to grab a Grany, so they make money off the folks who can't, and it's not some nebulous set of profiles on a locked in ecosystem or a lonely amp among dozens in something like the Helix.

laxu

Reaction score
I don't think they get enough credit for the presets. While there's plenty I don't like, there's also plenty that are very very good.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
That's cool and all, but until they don't release an unified framework to mix the content of their plugins they won't see a dime from me. I don't have anything against selling single amps, but not being able to mix and match their own stuff without loading multiple instances is just dumb. I stopped buying Mercuriall plugins for that very reason, and they won't catch me again.

It's a pain in the ass workflow-wise. What's the point of having digital amps if I can't save combined settings as presets? Sure, I could do it through my DAW loading an FX chain with the required plugins with their settings enabled/disabled, but we're not in 1998. :scratch:

I honestly don't see the problem here. Opening a few plugins takes like 2-3 seconds each. Turning off components is a double click. I've made several saved FX chains in Logic using combinations of different pedals, amps and cabs. (Usually taking something like Nameless and using delays from Nolly.) Then it's one single click to load the whole chain.

And what would be the benefit of a plugin to host more plugins? Assume you're talking some platform where you could select pedals from whichever suite, amps from whichever suits etc from drop-down menus? I feel like that's just as many steps as doing it in Logic. The only benefit might be some reduction in CPU use, maybe?

I'm not trying to dismiss your point, or shit on your idea or anything. I just genuinely don't see this issue as a problem which urgently needs solving.

Maybe a Neural Hub plug-in would reduce sales from return customers picking up every new sim if they can easily A/B it and decide against it.

14 day trial basically lets you do this anyway

Whenever I'm trialling something I'll also run some DIs and bounce them through the plugin

Nah. When sales go down they just release another plugin.

This is true. But it's amazing how peoples general complaining hinges around them releasing too many high quality products :p

MrWulf

Reaction score
I'm guessing that they figure if someone is willing to drop $100 on an AMT 'amp sim' pedal or a Mooer Mini-Pre amp, why not $100 for a 'single' amp that also has a few extra effects thrown in for good measure. The BIG difference being however, is that once you get tired of the pedal, you can always sell it and get some money back. If you get tired of the plug in and find you really don't use it that much, you kinda just have try and get your money's worth out of it.

You do know that Neural DSP stuffs are transferable right? Plenty of ppl put their Neural stuffs on sale all the time. Like most digital goods they tends to not hold their value very well vs an actual physical product but if you want to recoup your money after you've done with it, theres a way.

And yeah i dont get the quibble about the price either. Then again ppl would still complain if it is priced at like 49.99$ anyway

')