Is Neural Releasing an SLO?

• Thread starter Necky379
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Oh also, we had a problem getting Studio One to recognize this plugin. If you go into your VST folder and create a copy with a slightly different name, that seemed to fix it. Just saying in case anyone has this problem.

Is this amp coming to the Quad Cortex?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh also, we had a problem getting Studio One to recognize this plugin. If you go into your VST folder and create a copy with a slightly different name, that seemed to fix it. Just saying in case anyone has this problem.

Is this amp coming to the Quad Cortex?

I would guess not until they get the framework to run their plugins working and only if you own the plugin

Spinedriver

Reaction score
You do know that Neural DSP stuffs are transferable right? Plenty of ppl put their Neural stuffs on sale all the time. Like most digital goods they tends to not hold their value very well vs an actual physical product but if you want to recoup your money after you've done with it, theres a way.

And yeah i dont get the quibble about the price either. Then again ppl would still complain if it is priced at like 49.99$ anyway

I didn't know about the 'transferrable' thing. Good to know, though. :yesway:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I don't think they get enough credit for the presets. While there's plenty I don't like, there's also plenty that are very very good.
You mean Charlie Griffiths doesn't get enough credit for the presets.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly don't see the problem here. Opening a few plugins takes like 2-3 seconds each. Turning off components is a double click. I've made several saved FX chains in Logic using combinations of different pedals, amps and cabs. (Usually taking something like Nameless and using delays from Nolly.) Then it's one single click to load the whole chain.

And what would be the benefit of a plugin to host more plugins? Assume you're talking some platform where you could select pedals from whichever suite, amps from whichever suits etc from drop-down menus? I feel like that's just as many steps as doing it in Logic. The only benefit might be some reduction in CPU use, maybe?

I'm not trying to dismiss your point, or shit on your idea or anything. I just genuinely don't see this issue as a problem which urgently needs solving.

Well, different strokes. I don't want to load four different guitar plugins to make a chain (and bloat my mixer), which I also have to make for every DAW using screenshots of whatever. Then remember what was on and off in every one if I want to tweak something. It's just a pain in the ass workflow wise. The most aggravating thing is that all of their plugins already share the interface. They just don't want you to make full use of it. Not even at +100€ per pack.

If you don't mind it, good for you. Since I do, I put my money elsewhere. Simple.

This is true. But it's amazing how peoples general complaining hinges around them releasing too many high quality products :p

That won't be me. Since I won't buy any of them until they make a proper unified interface, I don't care how much of these they release :lol:

Last edited:

laxu

Reaction score
Here's someone comparing a real 1993 SLO through Suhr RL vs the plugin. Jump to 4:18 for the comparison. Sounds very close!

His findings seem similar to mine where the real amps through loadboxes feel more immediate and maybe sound a tiny bit better but for this purpose the convenience of a plugin or hardware modeler is worth that tradeoff.

Justaguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, now we all know it´s a Soldano sim. I tried it with the free trial and it´s absolutely insane. I´ve never played an SLO but holy shit the tone is pretty great. I wish Neural did an amp sim of a VHT or Fryette amp tho. But yes the price could be a tad cheaper for sure.

Last edited:

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
My two cents, since I have a Soldano right here. I downloaded the demo and played a little riff:

Interestingly compared with other plugins, the knobs in the same positions do the same things - other plugins I've tried before don't really do that, and you often have to translate in your mind what you'd want the amp to do into how the plugin is programmed (for instance I might have the amp's bass control on 6, but the plugin is boomy at everything over 3) - this definitely doesn't suffer from that behavior.

The Neural plugin seems to have a more muffled, mid-focused sound, and the amp seems to have a very distinct 'roar' to it which the plugin does its own thing with, it's not worse, just slightly different. There's more spring in the bass which feels spongier (especially the depth control), but the plugin sounds very focused and 'mix ready', you'll notice a slight honk at about 500 Hz on the amp recording which is totally absent in the plugin.

The guitar is my Jackson DK-2, going into a Helix. I reamped the same DI, using the Line Out on the SLO-30, and put the exact same Jens Bogren impulse response on both. There's no EQ or post processing on the guitars except a slight pan to emphasize the cuts.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
My two cents, since I have a Soldano right here. I downloaded the demo and played a little riff:

Interestingly compared with other plugins, the knobs in the same positions do the same things - other plugins I've tried before don't really do that, and you often have to translate in your mind what you'd want the amp to do into how the plugin is programmed (for instance I might have the amp's bass control on 6, but the plugin is boomy at everything over 3) - this definitely doesn't suffer from that behavior.

The Neural plugin seems to have a more muffled, mid-focused sound, and the amp seems to have a very distinct 'roar' to it which the plugin does its own thing with, it's not worse, just slightly different. There's more spring in the bass which feels spongier (especially the depth control), but the plugin sounds very focused and 'mix ready', you'll notice a slight honk at about 500 Hz on the amp recording which is totally absent in the plugin.

The guitar is my Jackson DK-2, going into a Helix. I reamped the same DI, using the Line Out on the SLO-30, and put the exact same Jens Bogren impulse response on both. There's no EQ or post processing on the guitars except a slight pan to emphasize the cuts.

The plugin clearly has DeYoung transformers :D

Karg

Reaction score
I bet some of the guys complaining that it is $120 for a single amp plugin have a $25000 wall of amps and cabs in their living room.

FunkyMunky71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can’t wait to try this out. Compared to Logic Amp Designer and Amplitube 4 that I got free with a IK Guitar I/O the NDSP plug-ins are amazing. I was thinking of buying IK SLO100 but then discovered NDSP and bought Nolly and Gojira Archetypes which I’m really happy with. The GUI is really nice and easy to use and they work really well in Logic. I gig with a Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (which hasn’t been out for a year) So will be really interested to see what this sounds like. Plus there’s 20% off for existing customers, if it’s even close it’ll be worth it not having to drag the amp and pedals out if I want to emulate that sound for home recording.

FearComplex

Reaction score
I'd be happy to pay $120 for a Neural VHT Pitbull sim, as the only current alternative is to buy the real deal but $120 for a SLO model when Lepou's SoloC sim is free and outperforms it? No thanks. Neural's appeal is releasing models that can't be found elsewhere (nameless, cali, omega) - each absolutely worth the asking price.

')