Is (new) Rings Of Saturn actually legit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I think the stance I'm taking is that it sounds very fake. It obviously sounds very fake. But thats also the very sound they were going for. They made their music the way they wanted to make it. I have 0 firsthand experience with their live show and them being able to play their songs and riffs, so I can't comment on that, but as stated, the compositional skills are still there. Granted, it all may be based off the same whole-tone, diminished, and augmented riffs that both they and a million other tech-death bands have done to death, but that doesn't devalue what they've written to the point of the writing being fake. I'd have to see a live show to further make up my mind on how I feel about it.

All that said, Lucas really seems like a grade A douchenozzle. I'm really just put off of this band by him alone, and his seemingly massive ego and standoffishness.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I read in another thread from some guy who obviously knows some of the modern producing techniques (guess he was a studio guy himself) that there is a way of recording, where every single note is recorded one at a time and then put together in post-production. That way the guitars sound like midi/GP and ROS are actually using that style of production.

I can't confirm that it's true as I just read it, but it sounded legit to me.

Perhaps I am the person you're speaking of? I wrote a quite detailed post about it in the previous thread about Rings of Saturn:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4141534-post141.html

Doing this is relatively simple, but very time consuming and would sound unnatural as the notes will not have normal decay (unless you finesse each note individually), plus you wouldn't sensibly be able to get legato sounding right as the transitions between notes and the attack for each particular note will be identical.

It is true is that it is relatively simple and very time consuming, but the "would sound unnatural" part is untrue if you do your job right. A guitar track properly recorded with this method will sound unnatural only if you make the notes inhumanly tight, i.e quantize them (the decay problem is nonexistent, fades are really easy to put on and even automatic in most DAWs). Read the post I linked to above. You aren't supposed to record legato note-by-note if you're going that way.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Every metal musician on a major label is going to be edited to some extent, so I have no problem with the dudes in the band fixing some slop here and there.

My problem with rings of Saturn was that they outright used guitar pro instead of playing their parts. That's just being lazy and is unacceptable if you are playing in a band. It's insulting.

edsped

Reaction score
I can't wait until not being able to actually play your own recorded and written parts is considered the norm in music.

Dayn

Reaction score
I like the aesthetic but the band is too note-salad for me. I've listened to a few songs and not a single part has been memorable.

I will say three lines about some attitudes I've seen, however:
> Complains about Rings of Saturn being 'fake'
> Probably uses Superior Drummer 2.0 in own music
> Not realises electronic music predates their birth

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
"Article after article I keep seeing all these "old school metal musicians" bashing the modern scene. They claim all there is to new bands is talk about software, what plug-ins and impulse responses to use for tone, and youtube. They also claim that everything is computerized, impossible to play for most bands, and that we aren't doing enough practicing. I don't care who you are, you can be the pioneers or even the first to invent the genre but I couldn't be more against what you say. Whatever happened to the old mentality of metal? Breaking the rules, seeing where the boundaries are, exploring new territory. If youtube wasn't around many new bands wouldn't exist, many musicians who share the same vision for a project would never meet, information would be harder to access for those aspiring to learn an instrument, become a producer, or learn anything else that would get them involved in the scene. And yes there are bedroom bands that can't play what they record but there's a lot of bands that have the talent to create new exciting music and perform it live. All these old metal bands need to let go of the ways of the past and realize that there's a lot of new kids on the block ready to carry on the torch. There's a ton of respect for those bands that inspired everyone over the years but when they bash what the new generation is trying to achieve and explore then they only sound like the ones before them that talked down their generation. I don't even care if the music I or anyone else create is considered "true metal". If true metal is sticking to a dictated template then .... it, .... metal.

TL : DR Create what you want, practice the hell out of it and blow people away." -the other gtarist of rings of saturn joel omans

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
Dingir was awesome imo :

Love that riff at 0:44.

The last album is just bad though.

isomorphic

Banned
Reaction score
"Article after article I keep seeing all these "old school metal musicians" bashing the modern scene. They claim all there is to new bands is talk about software, what plug-ins and impulse responses to use for tone, and youtube. They also claim that everything is computerized, impossible to play for most bands, and that we aren't doing enough practicing. I don't care who you are, you can be the pioneers or even the first to invent the genre but I couldn't be more against what you say. Whatever happened to the old mentality of metal? Breaking the rules, seeing where the boundaries are, exploring new territory. If youtube wasn't around many new bands wouldn't exist, many musicians who share the same vision for a project would never meet, information would be harder to access for those aspiring to learn an instrument, become a producer, or learn anything else that would get them involved in the scene. And yes there are bedroom bands that can't play what they record but there's a lot of bands that have the talent to create new exciting music and perform it live. All these old metal bands need to let go of the ways of the past and realize that there's a lot of new kids on the block ready to carry on the torch. There's a ton of respect for those bands that inspired everyone over the years but when they bash what the new generation is trying to achieve and explore then they only sound like the ones before them that talked down their generation. I don't even care if the music I or anyone else create is considered "true metal". If true metal is sticking to a dictated template then .... it, .... metal.

TL : DR Create what you want, practice the hell out of it and blow people away." -the other gtarist of rings of saturn joel omans

Genre: Aliencore/True Death Metal

Source: https://www.facebook.com/RingsofSaturnband

More like Contradictions of Saturn

edit: I'm fully aware that's probably there to "epic troll LULZ!!!" elitists, but really, trolling them is low hanging fruit.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
My problem with rings of Saturn was that they outright used guitar pro instead of playing their parts. That's just being lazy and is unacceptable if you are playing in a band. It's insulting.

You're insulting. You have no idea how wrong you are. Please stop talking about things you have no knowledge of.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I think that Rigs of Saturn really pushes the boundaries of modern metal and I don't really give a shit what anyone else says :lol: Their music is insane and a lot of people find them un-listenable, which is understandable. Though it really bothers be when people try to accuse them of being "Fake" musicians. That shit is unacceptable in my book. They work hard, they've put out 3 solid albums are gathered a pretty sizable fanbase. They are a successful and original band in an extremely oversaturated genre. So can we at least give them that credit?

Plus, I've never actually seen any evidence that their music is anymore heavily edited than most other modern metal. Just killer live performances.

redstone

Reaction score
Internet kids must learn the guitar before saying this is fake or not.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score

What do you mean? This is a guitar forum, it's probably safe to say the average poster here is a guitar player.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
^ I agree with this. This is why I have refrained from commenting on this thread thus far. I feel like everyone is hopping on the hate bandwagon to either: 1.) feel better about themselves as a means of feeding their disorganized attachment mindset, or 2.) feel like they actually "have something to say" that is worthwhile as a means of feeding their anxious attachment mindset.

I think that Rings of Saturn really pushes the boundaries of modern metal [...] They work hard, they've put out 3 solid albums are gathered a pretty sizable fanbase. They are a successful and original band in an extremely oversaturated genre. So can we at least give them that credit?
^ I back this.

Either way, I think this is one thread that is beating a dead horse.

So I am going to take the opportunity to insert a shameless self-plug here. I have a fair Rings of Saturn influence in my playing (at least from what everyone tells me) at times. But at least I can execute my shit perfectly in studio and perfectly live and I don't edit it to hell and back. Of course, my shit isn't as complex. So here is some guitar & drums pre-pro.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
the thing is about the haarp machine is not every song was recorded at half speed, in their studio video you can see them tracking some very hard guitar parts at full speed, and if you watch thier live videos you can hear their guitars arent faked. while occasionally sloppy like in mumins live solos you can hear by that their performances arent flawless that they dont use fake guitars. I honestly doubt you can find an album that comes out that isnt slightly technical nowadays that doesnt have a few moments that were recorded slowed down. also all that aside, al is a genius composer and ive never heard anyone quite like him. the use of middle eastern instruments is gorgeous.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I honestly doubt you can find an album that comes out that isnt slightly technical nowadays that doesnt have a few moments that were recorded slowed down.

I may be misreading what you're saying, but what I got out of that is that you're saying that all technical albums have some slowed down parts on them. I completely disagree, if thats the case. There are a lot of albums/artists that dont slow down their parts, and just feature ridiculous players kicking ass :shred:

If thats not what you were saying, then nevermind, and everybody enjoy these shreddy videos :lol:

Rizzo

Reaction score
All I see is a bunch of people misunderstanding each other's statements and claiming for consensus.
I personally just wanted to share my views, as we're just human beings on a forum and I think the Internet -if not abused- can be just another way to engage in a long-distance conversation that would be otherwise not feasible.
I'm not going to pretend anything since opinions are opinions! In fact, I just stated that: 1) at the end of the day I don't like ROS music. Nothing much to rant about, just taste. 2) I stated my PERSONAL VIEWS on music and musicianship. Nothing says I won't change them, since minds change. But for the time beings, that's what they are.

Tha being said, peace off guys :)

Darknut

Reaction score

2:27

34ou5xy.jpg

')