Is playing in open tunings like open c or open B cheating

• Thread starter CrownofWorms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
After switching so many different tunings, I always go back to open B. I have to play in open C due to the light strings( 10- 56). But it felt like everything felt more natural and relaxed than normal tuning. So is using this tuning cheating and making a shortcut

Also it increases experimentation with the guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
The end goal is to play music, so do whatever you need to. For the benefit of your development, I'd say that you should caution not to use the tuning as a crutch. Write and play in all keys, get to know where to find the notes on your fretboard, and nobody can ever fault you for taking a shortcut.

Sikthness

Reaction score
it is absolutely cheating. In fact, its even worse than drop tunings as far as cheating!

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
After you put in the cheat codes, by tuning to open tunings you win at music easier. just ask Devin townsend.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
short answer : no

long answer : no way

I myself have never really experimented with open tuning, but I have heard some people write great music with open tunings.

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
I play in open C, but also play in Standard or variations of standard, and will write riffs in one and then transpose it to the other.

I had one guy tell me I was wrong and all the best music was in Standard E, even though he was wearing an AiC t-shirt :scratch: Someone overheard our argument and told him he was an idiot, and that it was no different to sitting down in a different place at a piano.

While he wasn't exactly true, it is how I view it, all the notes are the same, just in a different place. I mainly play in open C as the 2 other guitarists in my band use it. Sometimes a chord fingering is easier in C, sometimes in standard. I still have guitars tuned to both and can enjoy the benefits using both can bring.

I play guitar, not a tuning, understanding the theory behind it is the most important skill you can learn.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I don't consider it cheating at all. You still have to do the work to play all the notes, they're just moved around a bit. I feel that open tunings add some nice shapes and voicings you couldn't do in standard tuning.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with what everyone else says :)

One thing I have noticed, is that it can make stuff just..sound better. Mainly on the open strings. They just resonate better together. An open minor chord in the exact same voicing will sound better than a fretted one, in my experience. The ability to add open ringing strings that usually work well with what you are playing is great. I'd guess this is why many acoustic players like them. With both me and a singer-songwriter friend, using open tunings on acoustic just makes us sound like far better guitarists haha.
It definitely does give you something. But it is in no way cheating. That word should not exist in music :) The sound at the end matters - nothing else.

Amanita

Reaction score
shortcut? yes
it makes some things easier, while at the same time it makes other harder (eg. chords vs playing scales)
cheating? only if you think about playing as some kind of a competition ;)

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Playing fast shreddy stuff- possibly.
Playing chords - no. Its a lot harder.

How does it make chords harder

Let's say your don't know any idea's of techniques(sweeping, legato, tapping, accurate alternate picking, economy picking etc) and plus you don't know much of techniques and how to do so

Will you still suck if your playing in open tuning

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
Let's say your don't know any idea's of techniques(sweeping, legato, tapping, accurate alternate picking, economy picking etc) and plus you don't know much of techniques and how to do so Will you still suck if your playing in open tuning

Do you need to be a great guitarist to write a great song? Does being a great guitarist mean you can now write great songs? Is practicing cheating? It's giving you an advantage over other guitarists who don't practice.

I'm being obtuse as it's early in the morning and just asking questions to make my point doesn't help.

You clearly feel drawn to Open B in some way, yet part of you seems to think that by using it, you are cheating. You need to drop that idea asap as it's only gonna hinder your playing and composing/song-writing.

I get the feeling that you see the idea of playing full chords using 1 finger is the main benefit of an open tuning (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I don't see how it's that much different to sliding a Barre chord up and down the neck? I've seen people do it in open tunings or in standard.

Latest posts

')