Is the 8-string all hype?

• Thread starter sixty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I ordered an 8 with A extra high G string.
The 27 fretted instrument has 6 octaves ,and that's what I want!
Extended range instruments are not a fad or a hype.
They are instruments which made to make different "thinking" or "feeling" musicians.

We are musicians ,not sheep!

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I ordered an 8 with A extra high G string.
The 27 fretted instrument has 6 octaves ,and that's what I want!
Extended range instruments are not a fad or a hype.
They are instruments which made to make different "thinking" or "feeling" musicians.

We are musicians ,not sheep!

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

tr4c3

Guitarist for hire
Reaction score
If I go with an 8 I plan to add the high A (or whatever tuning I use really) and just have it tuned to low B or Bb for the most part. That's all I need.

Reaction score
After having an 8 for a while now, I gotta say I prefer 7s for myself, but there are plenty of guys using 8s making music that I like

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Like many others have said it depends on what you need/want and the kind of music you make.

For me an eight would be imensely useful as when I first started playing music, I played bass. Eventually I wanted more high notes so I got a guitar :)wub: my beloved Kittythulhu), but I missed the low notes, and since I'm a sucker for wierd and experimental stuff I tuned it in fifths FCGDAE. That gave me both the required high and low range, and it sounds great. I can play on it just fine, but I find soloing much easier on a fourths tuned instrument. I will be getting 7s and at least one 8 in the future.

One thing I did on bass that I don't do on guitar is two handed tapping (piano style). Not that I was very good at it, but it's not possible on my current guitar due to string spacing, and it wasn't very useful on bass due to a lack of strings. An 8 would be great for that as well as my usual angular metal riffing and dissonant chords.

Krauthammer

Reaction score
After playing my new RG2228, i had to laugh when I picked up one of my 7's and found out the neck was too small! The 8 is an entirely different beast, but more of the same if that makes any sense. It all depends on what you want to play. It is still a guitar, has strings, and rocks; no matter how many strings are on your axe, music will still be made. I must admit that I am enjoying my 8 immensely :yesway: :agreed:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
what kinds of things do those of you who own 8s do with your 8s? i only have 7s now and i basically just use the 7th string for more notes during solos and stuff...

Last edited:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
what kinds of things do those of you who own 8s do with your 8s? i only have 7s now and i basically just use the 7th string for more notes during solos and stuff...

I use my 8th string(high A) for more notes in solos, extended arpeggios/scales, and right now I'm trying to learn some of Chopin's Etudes.:yesway:

Fred

Reaction score
I find myself playing an entirely different style of metal to what I'm used to every single time I pick up my 8, haha. And, believe it or not, other than the tuning it's completely unrelated to Meshuggah! The extra scale length is definitely taking me a while to get used to, but other than that the way it's made me think somewhat differently to how I've been thinking for a very long time is hugely appreciated.

As an example, if you have a look at my SoundClick, the first two songs were recorded on my 8 and the last one on my 7-string:

www.soundclick.com/BloodAndLeather

...Definitely makes you think differently about your playing!

vansinn

Reaction score
:agreed:
Thats my prefered method. :yesway: The high A string sounds good for chords too and just leads.:cool:

Don't have an eight as yet, will have later! With an A4 string I'm gonna love not having to crimp my pity fingas on high frets. I need 26 frets and would love to be able to go even higher at times, so..

Eight strings is also about flexibility: The tone isn't the same on various parts on the fretboard. Instead of having to fret all the way 'up there', an eight makes it possible to get the same high notes earlier on the board with a different tone.

Also, using a mix of chugga with open string picking in chords, alternating with fast flickering on higher notes, I'll love being able to chug along and easily hit the higher notes without needing to freak up'n'down the board.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
u guys are making me want an 8 now... but i think i'm gonna do what i did w/ the 6 to 7 switch and wait til i feel i'm good enough on a 7 to move on to something new... i don't wanna bit off more than i can chew

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't have an eight as yet, will have later! With an A4 string I'm gonna love not having to crimp my pity fingas on high frets. I need 26 frets and would love to be able to go even higher at times, so..

Eight strings is also about flexibility: The tone isn't the same on various parts on the fretboard. Instead of having to fret all the way 'up there', an eight makes it possible to get the same high notes earlier on the board with a different tone.

Also, using a mix of chugga with open string picking in chords, alternating with fast flickering on higher notes, I'll love being able to chug along and easily hit the higher notes without needing to freak up'n'down the board.

I made a vid demoing some position shifts just like you're talking about:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
wow... the 8 string is nowhere near as intimidating as i thought... i fuckin' want one now... thanks alot for givin' me more GAS

vansinn

Reaction score
^ yeah, as much as I love hanging out in here, I kinda regret it.. :rofl: I was perfectly happy playing 6 strings, and found the additional 7th string cumbersome, and what happened?
Now my playing stops because I too often reach for that non-existing string, and lately I've started missing the A4 string as well.
Now there's no way back, just gots to have it. Any known-good medicaton against GAS? I have issues with irregular heart beatings, don't sleep well at nite...

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
I was kind of a victim to the hype and talk. The idea of an 8 looked so cool to me and saw so many people getting them so I kinda bought one on impulse. I dont play meshuggah-esque music at all but my 8 went right back up for trade the same day i got it which is today! That extended range is too much for me and im happy with 7s anyway ^_^

Latest posts

')