Is the AKG 214 good for screaming?

• Thread starter thevisi0nary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skalla

Reaction score
I've never used one of those so I can't say but I'd rather sing in a sm58 than a sm57 that's for sure..

sear

Reaction score
Long story short, yes. The SM57 is an excellent guitar and snare mic but vocals sound very muffled and muddy with it. Almost any condenser, in any price range, will sound better.

Plant

Reaction score
SM 57 is OK for extreme vocals, especially in untreated room. Also, I'd recommend to try SM7.
But, if you'd like to get a good "warm sounding" condenser, save up a bit for C414. It's much better than 214.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I use a 55SH for vocals (you may laugh) it is bright and suits the voice amazingly, super versatile, and cheaper than most condensers.

tedtan

Reaction score
Long story short, yes. The SM57 is an excellent guitar and snare mic but vocals sound very muffled and muddy with it. Almost any condenser, in any price range, will sound better.

Shure developed the 57 for the US military for public address useage, so it has a big presence boost in the vocal range. If yours sounds dull, it may be broken. Also, condensers were developed to add extra high end in the days of tape, so you may just prefer the brighter condenser sound.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Shure developed the 57 for the US military for public address useage, so it has a big presence boost in the vocal range. If yours sounds dull, it may be broken. Also, condensers were developed to add extra high end in the days of tape, so you may just prefer the brighter condenser sound.

SM57's seem to be prone to pops, much prefer the SM58 on vocal duties.. Same capsule but much easier to use.

Bono is happy with an SM58, so it's all good.

tedtan

Reaction score
The 57 isn't the ideal vocal mic, but if I had to make an album with only one mic, the 57 would get the honor because it works well on just about everything. It's not ideal on everything, it just works well on almost everything. And it should work out pretty well on the harsh vocals the OP was asking about. After all, it's not that far removed from the SM7b, which I prefer over condensers on harsh vocals.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
The 57 isn't the ideal vocal mic, but if I had to make an album with only one mic, the 57 would get the honor because it works well on just about everything. It's not ideal on everything, it just works well on almost everything. And it should work out pretty well on the harsh vocals the OP was asking about. After all, it's not that far removed from the SM7b, which I prefer over condensers on harsh vocals.

Being honest, I prefer the SM58 and 57 on vocals to the 7B.. If I said that on gearslutz I'd probably get shot in the ass.

The SM7b seems to work well on guitar cabs LOL! In which I prefer the SM57 on drums and vox..

And I agree it's not that far removed from an SM7B. The SM57 is a great general purpose mic, my point was just use a pop shield..

tedtan

Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely needs a pop shield - that presence peak will pick up every pop, lick smack, bit of sibilance, etc.

And the Gearslutz are batshit crazy over the SM7b. I don't get it myself. Its a good mic, but it has strengths and weaknesses like everything else. And it seems to only like higher end preamps. The 57 does this to an extent, too - I think its an input impedance thing since they are both transformer mics.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
what i mean is is the akg c214 good enough or should i buy the one of the shures? i already have the akg

tedtan

Reaction score
The AKG is good enough, it will just have more high frequencies than the Shures. This may be exactly what you want or it may not be, and you won't know until you try.

When possible, I like to get the track recorded as close to how I want it to end up sounding as I can. Part of this finding the right mic for that specific source. Doing it this way results in a faster mix that requires less work. When that's not possible, you can EQ in the mix and get good results, too. It's just more work to do come mix time.

Overtone

Reaction score
You should definitely try it! Agreed with tedtan (as ALWAYS, it seems :shred: )... it depends what sounds good in the mix to you... something with sort of a focused more midrangey sound or something with a good amount of raspiness (57 or 214). The 214 is a pretty sensitive mic and will give you a lot more of the detail. If you're finding the highs overwhelming even after you have EQd and compressed to taste then try the 57.

I don't think the 414 will do much for you if you don't like the 214, as it's a very similar mic in components... it just has 2 of the same transducer to enable more pickup patterns.

')