Is the tuning ADADGCF safe to use?

ThePhobiaPony

Reaction score
I have a Schecter SGR C7 (right now using the original strings) and am wondering if it would be safe to tune my high B and E up to C and F (respectively.) Does this have the potential to warp the neck or cause any other hardware damage?. Right now I am using ADADGBE as my main tuning.

Also sorry if I am posting in the wrong area. :imnew:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
:welcome:

Based on your thread title, I'm guessing you're wanting to tune your thinner strings (higher pitch) up.

It really depends on what gauge strings you use. It's only a half-step difference, really. If you tune it that way and the top strings feel too tight, then go for a gauge or two thinner. For instance, if you've for a .010 for the F and .013 for the C and it's too tight then go down to a .009 and .012 or something like that. You get the idea.

JeffTD

Reaction score
JPhoenix is right; you'll be fine as long as you compensate with a slightly thinner string gauge.

That said, this is going to throw all of your standard chord shapes totally out of whack. I remember trying this a few years ago thinking it would lead to some interesting patterns, being able to carry scale shapes all the way up to the higher strings with the standard 5th jump each string, but it ended up being really hard to not default to my normal shapes when the lower strings were still tuned 'normally.' Really curious to hear what your results end up being on that front!

thatguyupthere

is rockin out
Reaction score
Considering B->C and E->F is only a half step, you'll be good bro. Strings are made to withstand s#it like that.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Yeah, you're A-OK there. I use a similar tuning, except my bottom 3 strings are GCG. I prefer either a .010 or a .095 for the high F. No neck-warping or anything like that.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You've been answered but for the record neck warping is way overplayed. Acoustic guitars, and especially bass guitars run WAY higher tension than the guy who uses strings a few gauges above most people and gets told "Dude you'll break your neck!"
With tighter strings the action will go up if you don't adjust the truss rod. That's all.

')