Is there a benchmark standard for rating wood figuring?

Artifacts in Motion

Form & Function
Reaction score
This is a problem that has become exceedingly apparent with the rise of many custom guitar companies and luthiers offering figured tops. It was the final straw for me when I saw FGN (Fujigen) guitars advertising instruments with figured maple tops rated at AAAAAAAA. Yes, 8 "A's". In my opinion, they weren't even close to what I would consider a 4A top.

However, my perception is based upon empirical evidence. I only thought of that top as a "4A" because most manufactures that I have seen rate similar tops at 4, rather than another number.

This returns to my question: is there a benchmark and qualification across the board for the ratings of wood figuring? I understand this would be a relatively complicated task for an organization to establish, considering the numerous species of wood and whatnot, but there are less that exhibit curling, flaming, quilting, and burling.

If such a standard would be set, if it has not been already, how would it assess the would? My guess would be on the depth and extent of the figuring.

Any information would be great, and I'm interested in hearing other member's experience with rating wood figuring, and perhaps ratings that were debatable or unwarranted.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Everything from 1A to 3A is pretty standardized in the woodworking industry. Anything above 3A is just marketing speak. One company's 5A will be another one's 4A, while one company's 5A will be standard run-of-the-mill 3A. One company's "Artist Grade" will be another's "Standard Grade".

The best thing to do is ask for multiple photos showing a top from different angles. If you're buying lumber, ask for the supplier to rub some naptha on the wood so that you can see the figuring.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
No. There is no official grading.

Everything is completely subjective. PRS idea of "top figuring" is NOT Gibsons idea of "top figuring".

There is no official standardized listing.

Now, there are GRADES of wood, from knots, and wood defects, to straigthness, but NO OFFICIAL LIST exists for grading woods based on figure.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Phi hit the nail on the head ; if your getting a build just ask for multiple photos of each piece that should be a reasonable request.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Phi hit the nail on the head ; if your getting a build just ask for multiple photos of each piece that should be a reasonable request.

Unfortunately this isn't always the case. Pictures don't convey weight, they also don't necessarily show grain as it will be cut. Some peices look GLORIOUS on top, but if you go more then a quarter inch down, you lose a LOT of figuring. Flamed maple is pretty bad at doing this. I've cut down some fretboards from some ridiculous looking maple, and when I was finished I had very very plain pieces left over.

buying from reputable sources always helps, especially if you get to look at it in person.

Artifacts in Motion

Form & Function
Reaction score
Unfortunately this isn't always the case. Pictures don't convey weight, they also don't necessarily show grain as it will be cut. Some peices look GLORIOUS on top, but if you go more then a quarter inch down, you lose a LOT of figuring. Flamed maple is pretty bad at doing this. I've cut down some fretboards from some ridiculous looking maple, and when I was finished I had very very plain pieces left over.

buying from reputable sources always helps, especially if you get to look at it in person.

I'm sure in my case, the source is reputable, but I was not able to see it in person, nor make my own choice of what top would be used (flamed maple in this case).

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
It's basically "pretty" - "really pretty" - "aw lawd, so prettah!" - "I can see the universe!"

Or something like that.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure in my case, the source is reputable, but I was not able to see it in person, nor make my own choice of what top would be used (flamed maple in this case).

Most likely yeah, even though its a subjective scale, a lot of lumber people (I'd even say "most") do grade fairly. Its just randomly you will get the one asshole who grades mild figuring as "AAAAA", and there's really not much you can do about it when you get it.

Latest posts

')