Is there a reason to NOT use Monster Cables?

• Thread starter ZackP3750
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
under the presumption that monster cables could provide an audible difference, this wouldn't take into account various playing styles that may affect a signal, or how any given player's setup would affect the overall sound as well. I believe that those two factors would nullify any potential gain that monster cables could offer due to the general nature of musical instrument amplification

I'll stick with my yorkville cables. they're relatively cheap, and well built with the "needed" features that any musician should have (good shielding, strain relieved connectors). I also appreciate the fact that the shrink wrap is white in contrast with the cable's black sheath. they might not come with a warranty like the monster cables but that's fine

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
I got a few patch cables for my board from them a long time ago because I knew if anything happened to them I could just get them swapped at GC. They all still work perfectly fine still so whatever, but they were definitely a bit more expensive than other cables.

I'm wiser nowadays and don't think I would purchase Monster cables again, though. There's just no point when they barely make any difference at all, at least nothing audible. As long as the signal is clean and the cable doesn't crap out, I'm happy with whatever these days. And like those HDMI cables, I bought some 10ft ones off newegg for like $12 each and I just laughed at how people were paying for the $60 ones when there's basically no difference.

severussnape

Reaction score
Never used monster products. Their business practices alone turn me off.

Personally I'm happy with my livewire cables. I short one atleast once a year, which is fine since I know I'm abusing them, and theyre cheap.

I've never had one fail live, or while recording. And that's all that I really care about.

Deathbringer769

Reaction score
The point about Monster's having a lifetime warranty is kind of moot. LiveWire, Planet Waves, and Mogami all have the same type of lifetime warranty attached to them.

littlephil

Reaction score

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for adamantium or mithrill conductor cables. Until then I'll stick with my 15€ cables, thanks.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Alessandro...
"For best performance, use these cables with the arrows pointing the same direction as the signal flow (Instrument --> pedal effects --> amplifier.)"

severussnape

Reaction score
Alessandro...
"For best performance, use these cables with the arrows pointing the same direction as the signal flow (Instrument --> pedal effects --> amplifier.)"

That part really made me go :spock:

Im no expert, but I was under the impression electrical signal would work equally well regardless of which direction the cable is aimed...

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy monster cables, but more on that shortly...

A bad quality copper cable, rubbish quality with lots of that evil oxygen that makes your guitar sound rubbish apparently has a resistance that's causing all these problems...
This amazing, no oxygen, amazing quality strip of cable is made out of gold and dragon spit makes the resistance lower in theory...?

The difference in resistance between a crap cable an amazingly expensive cable is probably the difference between 1 ohm and 0.9999 ohms. The pickups in your guitar have about 8-20kohm resistance, and the input resistance of your amp is probably 100k-1Mohm...
All this stuff about resistance and signal degradation is irrelevant. And as someone very cleverly pointed out, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and how much did the cabling cost in the guitar?

I'm not saying buy cheap cables, but don't be fooled by the 'this cable will save your tone' stuff. I use DiMarzio cables because they are very cleverly shielded, use switchcraft jacks, and have an anti-tangle, cut-resistant nylon wrap. They're also lifetime guaranteed and their customer service is impeccable. These are reliable cables, they don't pick up noise, and they don't knot up - everything you can ask from a cable - and are very reasonably priced.

I have to say I'm really glad to see how many people here don't fall for all this $60 cable crap.

Speaker cables are different, but that's another thread. Even then it's not a $60 deal...

Reaction score
I bought a roll of Monster speaker cable (for home theater) at Best Buy. I was surprised that it was no more expensive than the other brands.

But I wouldn't bother with Monster guitar cable. I don't WANT something that "enhances." I just need something that delivers.

littlephil

Reaction score
The difference in resistance between a crap cable an amazingly expensive cable is probably the difference between 1 ohm and 0.9999 ohms. The pickups in your guitar have about 8-20kohm resistance, and the input resistance of your amp is probably 100k-1Mohm...
All this stuff about resistance and signal degradation is irrelevant. And as someone very cleverly pointed out, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and how much did the cabling cost in the guitar?

Resistance in a cable isn't what causes tone loss, its capacitance. Higher capacitance will lead to more high end roll-off in longer cables. A lot of people go on about how lower resistance cables make a difference, I'd say the cables they tested had less capacitance and that's what caused the difference.

Even then, as soon as you add one decent buffered pedal in the most important cable in the chain is the one coming from the guitar into the buffered pedal, because after the pedal you'll have a low impedance signal which is a lot less susceptible to tone loss.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
one reason for me is that monster pre eq's their cables, so you have to factor that into your sound. another is the price. the biggest for me is working in gc's accessories i see more monsters come back from shortin out than any other cable. and for the record livewire,planet wave (which i love), mogami, all have lifetime warranties, so monster isnt winning in that catagory either.

edit i see deathbringer769 made that point lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fuck cable companies, man up and make you own. You can get high end cable and connectors for significantly less that "ready made" cables from the bigger companies.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
heh,

i just pick up whatever is available and is closest to about 1$ per meter.

If you want to make a difference to your "tone", use a shorter cable. Any other claims are psuedoscience and the result psychological baises ;).

see cognitive biases:
Selective perception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Post-purchase rationalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Observer-expectancy effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

being human is fun! :p

who am I kidding, I use a cable made out of pure mermaid virgins with dragon scrotum shielding, and godzilla mouth laser soldered connections. the actual plugs are made out of the gold encased cut-offs from medusa's hair. It makes me sound like thor on a night out on the piss.:shred::hbang:

now thats a monster cable.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Fuck cable companies, man up and make you own. You can get high end cable and connectors for significantly less that "ready made" cables from the bigger companies.

I have been toying with this idea for a while. Where do you purchase your cable and connectors? Any places online you could recommend?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been toying with this idea for a while. Where do you purchase your cable and connectors? Any places online you could recommend?

These cables: Redco Audio - Mogami Instrument Cable

With these connectors: Redco Audio - Amphenol ACPS-GN-AU

Mogami cable is top notch, and amazingly affordable when bought buy the foot. I like the Amphenol connectors as they're solid, sound great, and don't have a bulky collar like some of the other name brand connectors. They're the best balance of price, quality, and function from what I've found.

I'd also order from Redco. They're reliable, ship fast, have great stock, priced well, and have pretty solid customer service.

')