Is there a RIGHT way to dial a 6505+?

Reaction score
i know, dumb, noobish question. but its one that worries me. . . . .

so any time i use a 6505+ its super dark and bassy. more than i want. WAY more. and the only way i can get even a bit of trebel and mids is if i put the presence knob at about 9. and the EQ knobs make NO difference in tone. NONE. and this isnt a fluke or a fucked up head, this is 3 different heads doing the same thing. . . .

so my question: is there a right way to dial one of these?

because they seem to be loved by EVERYONE but me so obviously, im the one with the problem. and im really worried that ill have this same problem with the 6534+ that i want to get. . . .

thanks guys and sorry for being so fucking stupid :wallbash: *facepalm*

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
a tubescreamer or similar boost will help take out some of the bass.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah it will..but this really doesn't sound normal. However you said you tested multiple heads so I'm stumped.
What cab are you using? Same cab with all the heads?

Reaction score
a tubescreamer or similar boost will help take out some of the bass.

ill bear that in mind, thanks :)
is there a way to do it WITHOUT one? just so i know.

and i assume having the EL34's instead of the 6L6's wont really make that much difference?

Reaction score
Yeah it will..but this really doesn't sound normal. However you said you tested multiple heads so I'm stumped.
What cab are you using? Same cab with all the heads?

yep. it was the matching peavey cab. i know thats part of the problem because that cab is known to suck haha but most cabs that suck are a bit more trebely (from what ive seen anyway).

i take that back: one was with an ibanez cab. bit less bass but still too dark

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
presence: 10
highs: 10
mids: 7
bass: 0
gain: 3-4

now roll back the presence until the sawblade in your ears disappears: nice sound!

Reaction score
presence: 10
highs: 10
mids: 7
bass: 0
gain: 3-4

now roll back the presence until the sawblade in your ears disappears: nice sound!

thanks haha ill have to try that!

so there actually IS a right way to dial one? i cant just find the right tone, i have to fuck with it (more than standard EQ'ing i mean) first? that sucks haha but at least i know

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
thanks haha ill have to try that!

so there actually IS a right way to dial one? i cant just find the right tone, i have to fuck with it (more than standard EQ'ing i mean) first? that sucks haha but at least i know
The 6505 was voiced for Eddies "Brown Sound", if you listen closely its very dull, dark, and made for playing out of key legato, so there is quite some extreme EQ needed to make it sound like a tight crisp tone in the room (miced up its a totally different game)

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
I think it could probably me your cab man

cause my 6505+ doesnt sound bassy nor dark to me

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I think it could probably me your cab man

cause my 6505+ doesnt sound bassy nor dark to me

Umm yeah. The 6505+ is my favorite amp ever. I would try a good cab as the 6505 cab is complete trash and then I would go with these settings: pre-5 to 6, Low-6, Mid-6, High-6, Presence-6, Resonance- 6.

It goes to 6 baby! Then adjust from there. If the eq doesn't do anything then I am inclined to think there is something definitely wrong with something.

infernalservice

Reaction score
I hear more high end fizz on a 6505 than anything else. Did you check your tubes. Prescence on 9 would kill my ears

Reaction score
oh, theyre not MY 6505+'s. theyre at guitar center. but dont let that make you think im retarded because when no ones there, i usually crank it to see how an amp REALLY sounds. but for whatever reason, all i get is shit from those amps. i mean, i know its still not stage level but it should be enough to get the tubes going id think. . . so my big question NOW is

will i have this same problem with the 6534+? and should i just get a daul rec used instead (dont say yes just because its a better amp. only say yes if you think that the daul rec wont have this problem)

SJT2

Luthier Vandross
Reaction score
I know this may sound dumb but what guitar are you using? What pickups? What tuning? Even with my 7 strings tuned to A I never had a problem with too much bass. I also changed my tubes and properly set the tube bias which makes a world of difference. Factory tube bias set by Peavey is always wrong being as you have to mod the amp to get a wide enough sweep to set them within range.

Reaction score
rg7620, stock pickups, drop A.
that ones mine

ive also used an ARZ307 with stock pickups and a schecter Damien elite with stock EMG 81-7.

see, im not looking for djent tones or super bright, tight bass. i just want good mids and a decent amount of trebel with minimal bass. because ive got a genz benz gb412 g-flex. so ive got the bass fucking covered. im going to try what Lon said and start with the brightest tone i possibly can then work my way down and see if that works. because if thats what i have to do, im ok with that. i just want to know so that i dont end up buying an amp and hating it simply because im too stupid to work it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEnpwhfd80

skip to 2:15 and thats way closer to what i want. and seeing as he does it without a boost in the beginning, thats why i want this amp. because i KNOW it has the gain i need. but if i cant get the right tone then its just a waste of my money

SJT2

Luthier Vandross
Reaction score
rg7620, stock pickups, drop A.
that ones mine

ive also used an ARZ307 with stock pickups and a schecter Damien elite with stock EMG 81-7.

see, im not looking for djent tones or super bright, tight bass. i just want good mids and a decent amount of trebel with minimal bass. because ive got a genz benz gb412 g-flex. so ive got the bass fucking covered. im going to try what Lon said and start with the brightest tone i possibly can then work my way down and see if that works. because if thats what i have to do, im ok with that. i just want to know so that i dont end up buying an amp and hating it simply because im too stupid to work it right.

skip to 2:15 and thats way closer to what i want. and seeing as he does it without a boost in the beginning, thats why i want this amp. because i KNOW it has the gain i need. but if i cant get the right tone then its just a waste of my money

I know some may hate me for this but I absolutely hate djent. Things to keep in mind are you said you tried the 6505+ and this video is of a 6534+. Different tubes will make different tones. Also the Orange cab in that video is completely different than the 6505 cab or most others. Quality constructed cabs with quality speakers make for amazing tone.

Pickups will also play a part in the overall sound. Stock Ibanez pickups no matter what model are always bass heavy and the treble is either thin or not there at all. I know you said you tried other guitars but this is worth looking into either way. Your tone is what you make it and it takes work to get what you want. I've been playing over 20 years and I still question my tone at times. Good luck.

decoy205

Reaction score
I say if you are in a store try different guitars and see if you get the same result. something doesnt add up here. My 5150 can get pretty bright if you turn up presence and treble.

Also the Resonance control adds bass too.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Yeah I can't stand 6505's mainly because every one I've heard sounds like a fizzy mess.

"WELL HEY THERE CHEESEBISCUIT! OR B*UIS*CUT YOU HERP DERP L2 SPELL, MY 6505 ISN'T FIZZY AT ALL, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVEN'T HEARD IT CRANKED!"

Well yes, yes I have, I can't stand the things, they are fizzy. Just because you find it to be an acceptable amount of fizz that translates to *no fizz* in your head doesn't mean its not a fizzy amp.

@op: the stock pups in your guitar are part of the problem as most of ibanez's stock offerings are dark and muddy, the cabs make a HUGE difference as well.

Try the head out on a mesa recto cab or anything you can find loaded with V30's as that's what everything was being run through in those guitar world vids and those speakers have plenty of high end / upper mid range and tight bass.

Though you may just not like the amp, I think they sound like ass soup personally regardless of the number of fanboys the amp has on this forum. Just because other people like something doesn't mean you're going to.

')