Is there a way to shield my computer?

• Thread starter guitaardvark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I finally figured out that a lot of the noise in my setup is from my computer. I have my desktop underneath my desk and happen to face the general direction when playing, and the guitar will pick up the noise from it. Also, when I move my mouse, I can hear slight noise. My interface is a Scarlett 2i2 running into Rokit 5s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
Try plugging things into clean power or separate wall sockets if you can to see if that resolves it.

Promit

Reaction score
The computer is not what needs shielding. Either your guitar or your cable is picking up the noise. Shield those.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
The computer is not what needs shielding. Either your guitar or your cable is picking up the noise. Shield those.

This makes sense. What kind of cables should I invest in then? I'll need cables for guitar to pod, pod to interface, and interface to monitors. What should be balanced and unbalanced? Specific product recommendations are more than welcome.

Also, how could I shield the guitar more effectively? I've heard of copper tape, is this a viable solution? My guitar doesn't have a pick guard and I've heard this is where it works best.

whtSOEver

Reaction score
Hey, could you tell us what's the exact wiring setup of your devices and how each one is connected to the power (what type of powerplug etc.)?

When does this noise appear? Is it in your DAW, when you are recording or does it even happen, when you are in playback-mode of your Scarlett 2i2?

I'm asking because there could be something else that's causing the problem.

7stg

Reaction score
I finally figured out that a lot of the noise in my setup is from my computer. I have my desktop underneath my desk and happen to face the general direction when playing, and the guitar will pick up the noise from it. Also, when I move my mouse, I can hear slight noise. My interface is a Scarlett 2i2 running into Rokit 5s.
It sounds like there may be some grounding issue with the pc. I found this

This is a design flaw either in the motherboard or back/front panel header which shorts usb ground to audio ground.

There are few things that can be done to address this. A way to possibly reduce the current flowing from usb ground to audio ground to add a impedence such as a 100 ohm resistor on the audio ground line. This is akine to putting up a road block to prevent traffic from usb ground traveling to audio ground.

Current will want to travel towards lowest charge (gnd) using the most open paths possible.

Here is a good first step
I used a powered 4 port USB hub that also plugs into a wall outlet and I plugged the USB connector from the headset into this hub. Completely fixed the problem - crystal clear sound now.

These things can improve the sound, but does not sound like it addresses your issue.
This makes sense. What kind of cables should I invest in then? I'll need cables for guitar to pod, pod to interface, and interface to monitors. What should be balanced and unbalanced? Specific product recommendations are more than welcome.
build your own cables for best quality and lowest cost.

For guitar cables I like Gepco XB20UB for cable, it has very low capacitance and resistance and uses double braided shielding. Neutrik's NP2X-B for plugs. These are unbalanced cables.

for interface to studio monitors use Mogami W2549 cable, it has very low capacitance and resistance. For plugs Neutrik's NC3MXX-HE for xlr or Neutrik's NP3X-B for trs. These are balanced cables.

the playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837

Also, how could I shield the guitar more effectively? I've heard of copper tape, is this a viable solution? My guitar doesn't have a pick guard and I've heard this is where it works best.
Copper tape is best. unscrew the electronics and remove, one layer of tape, then reinstall everything. The plastic cover should already have foil shielding.

')