Is there something wrong with my engl e530 or am I just stupid?

wakjob

Reaction score
No, no problem. The speakers are 8 ohm each. Just switch the power amp to 8 ohms running mono for trying one speaker at a time. It's ok to run it at 4 ohm also, it'll just take off some high end and a little 'omph'. But matching it at 8 ohms is the best way to go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dores

Reaction score
Oh man.

This thread makes me happy as an Axe-FX user.

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
If you do run the poweramp at 4 ohms, it'll cut the power by 1/3 and make your poweramp run a bit differently. It'll break up at different volumes. Won't put anything in danger tho.

Dionysian

More gear than sense
Reaction score
Instead of going all apeshit on yo' cab widd'a soldering iron and screwdriver, why don't you just try your rig with with a different cab?

I own a e530, and tbh I think its tone is pretty much like a compressed 5150, except drier, tighter and less of that beefy/grunty/roaring low mid structure, although it definitely has a deeper tonal spectrum. Great for downtuning and, dare i say it, djent. I run it through the poweramp on my 5150 II into a 2x12 Mesa V30 cab. I also boost it with a Maxon OD808.

It's a bit weird for EQ'ing though, something you should look a bit more at, more specifically the high mid and treble knobs. The high mid acts a lot like a treble knob and the treble is more like a "fizz" knob. Try keeping the treble below noon and control the high end with the presence control on your power amp instead. Also keep on the contour knob ON at all times.

Also, try it out in a band setting and dial it in there. And sell the BBE.

wakjob

Reaction score
Instead of going all apeshit on yo' cab widd'a soldering iron and screwdriver, why don't you just try your rig with with a different cab?

I own a e530, and tbh I think its tone is pretty much like a compressed 5150, except drier, tighter and less of that beefy/grunty/roaring low mid structure, although it definitely has a deeper tonal spectrum. Great for downtuning and, dare i say it, djent. I run it through the poweramp on my 5150 II into a 2x12 Mesa V30 cab. I also boost it with a Maxon OD808.

It's a bit weird for EQ'ing though, something you should look a bit more at, more specifically the high mid and treble knobs. The high mid acts a lot like a treble knob and the treble is more like a "fizz" knob. Try keeping the treble below noon and control the high end with the presence control on your power amp instead. Also keep on the contour knob ON at all times.

I suggested all of this. I just recently discovered how 'speaker sensitive' Engl's can be.

He's go two nice speakers, might as well experiment before hauling his rig all over trying cabs...

+1 on the Treble = 'fizz' knob..keep mine pretty low.

JMP2203

Reaction score
first you dont need a isp decimator and bbe 362 sonic maximizer.

imo sell those and get a better cab, TH are terrible speakers, dark and lifeless, with an ENGL you need a good 2x12 or 4x12 v30 cab, or even better imo, greenbacks in a front loadded cab

then you can add a maxon od808 if you want more saturation

finally, check your tubes and cables and you will sound much better than an axe fx

edit: also the mxr-10 band its not necesarry, simpler the better

Reaction score

I know of the high mid, treble knobs. I've been keeping the high mid at around 9 o'clock and the treble around 11, hasn't helped anything. I already haven't been using the bbe, although honestly the engl sounds better with it, I still have that nasally lifeless tone either way, the bbe at least makes it sound a little "punchier".

Reaction score
first you dont need a isp decimator and bbe 362 sonic maximizer.

imo sell those and get a better cab, TH are terrible speakers, dark and lifeless, with an ENGL you need a good 2x12 or 4x12 v30 cab, or even better imo, greenbacks in a front loadded cab

then you can add a maxon od808 if you want more saturation

finally, check your tubes and cables and you will sound much better than an axe fx

edit: also the mxr-10 band its not necesarry, simpler the better

Well I do need the isp, it is a noise suppressor, so saying that I don't need that AND an effect unit doesn't really make any sense, plus as I said before I ditched the bbe. The texas heats may not be great speakers, but based on reviews they really shouldn't sound this terrible, if I discover that my tone sounds exactly the same through only the swamp things (which are better speakers) then I'm going to say the problem isn't the texas heats. I"m also not sure how great of an options V 30's are for the engl either, I've heard differing opinions on them, which is why it makes sense that engl loads all their cabs with V 60's, and not V 30's. All tubes are JJ's, all cables are monster.

raximkoron

Reaction score
I've had this issue with my E530... my cab was a bit different, it was a B-52 AT-412, and I removed two of the speakers and replaced them with Swamp Thangs. Made it better, but still really not where I wanted it. Started thinking Eminence might just not be my thing...

I broke down about 6 months ago and got a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12, and the Engl really took to the cab quite well. It's got some sort of Celestion speaker in there, but they're custom jobbies so I'm not sure what they're similar to. Probably a K-100 or something.

Still, I read the E530's gain tone controls as "Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence" rather than "Bass, Low-mid, High-mid, Treble". That being said, I keep my High-mid/Treble knobs almost at zero as I find they add more fizz than anything desireable. Using my effects station (G-Major), I've added some EQ to help the lows and highs. I also utilize a Peavey Rockmaster in my rig, and I can get more good sounding highs from that by itself, but it's not as tight of a pre.

Also, I first tried the E530 with a Peavey Classic 120 poweramp (basically a 120 watt version of the Classic 60 with 6L6's). I really didn't like the sound they made together, and since it was vastly simple (no depth/presence controls), I used other things that worked better (starting by running the Engl through a B-52 AT-100's effects loop, then dropping that altogether for a VHT 2/90/2 when I had the cash).

')