Is this a good beginner 7-string?

• Thread starter xS3THx94x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xS3THx94x

Disciple of Osiris
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to finally get a 7-string for some more technical guitar playing (along the lines of Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, etc.) and I'm looking for a relatively good guitar that's also cheap, as I have a very limited budget.

The main issue in selecting a guitar for me is that I'm a lefty, so there's no true "cheap option" available. I've found one guitar on Rondo' s Music, which seems to be a very good fit. I guess my question is, would this be a good, lasting guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xS3THx94x

Disciple of Osiris
Reaction score
Alright, so the only way to get a "cheap yet good" lefty seven string is to go for the $525 model?

groph

Reaction score
Ibanez RG7321's are also pretty nice, as is the 7421, but you'll have to look used for those.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta agree. Agile's the way to go or a used Ibanez/Schecter.:yesway:

mika ale

Reaction score
used ibanez prestige to have a decent luthery, and put some extra cash for great pickups and you'll have a pretty decent axe to try to conquer the wolrd

feilong29

Reaction score
Agile is a good way to go for a brand new, 'budget' 7 string, but, as others have said, if you can find a used Ibanez (7420, 7321, etc), you will be happily satisfied! I've owned 2 Agiles and they are good quality for how cheap they are! And, I'm sure you can make a douglas sound good but... who is Douglas? Haha!

xS3THx94x

Disciple of Osiris
Reaction score
Alright thanks for all the help guys, I've been looking at my options and I think I'm gonna go with a used Ibanez I found!

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
You know, you could just learn to play righty. I know a lot of people that are left handed that do it so they don't run into the whole finding a left handed guitar issue.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Yeah, I know a lot of people who are left-handed, but play righty. It really doesn't make ANY difference, yet a lot of people think they have to play left-handed, even though both hands are involved.

Osorio

Reaction score
I don't think it's that simple. I have the example of myself and an acquaintance:

Me: My mother made me sit on the right side of the car for millennia when I was a young child, wearing the seat belt. When she was to drop me off at school, she used to listen to Guns N Roses in the morning and during the entire way I would rock out on the back seat, holding the seat belt with my right hand and strumming left. I did this for years. When I finally got my hands on a guitar, I couldn't possibly imagine how I would hold it any other way.
I tried to play right-handed but it was too bizarre for me. After all, I had "years of practice" with left handed playing without realizing. Note: I'm right handed.

Friend: Left handed. Started playing right handed. Hit an enormerous road block on his learning. Could be his fault, could not, but he couldn't tap AT ALL. And he practiced like crazy. One day he decided to re-learn his craft the left handed way, and he is now a much better player.

So, in summary. I am not sure I believe it's a matter of "just do it the other way". Some people can, others can't, while others simply WON'T. Of course, if you, OP, are just starting out, say, a year? Maybe you could look into developing a right-hand affinity. It will absolutely make your life easier if you decided to collect guitars like some of us here do.
But don't feel obligated to. Schecter, for example, is very left-friendly. And further down the road, when you travel the Custom Guitar path, left or right no longer matter that much. Everything is expensive like your kidney.

Reaction score
I don't think it's that simple. I have the example of myself and an acquaintance:

Me: My mother made me sit on the right side of the car for millennia when I was a young child, wearing the seat belt. When she was to drop me off at school, she used to listen to Guns N Roses in the morning and during the entire way I would rock out on the back seat, holding the seat belt with my right hand and strumming left. I did this for years. When I finally got my hands on a guitar, I couldn't possibly imagine how I would hold it any other way.
I tried to play right-handed but it was too bizarre for me. After all, I had "years of practice" with left handed playing without realizing. Note: I'm right handed.

Friend: Left handed. Started playing right handed. Hit an enormerous road block on his learning. Could be his fault, could not, but he couldn't tap AT ALL. And he practiced like crazy. One day he decided to re-learn his craft the left handed way, and he is now a much better player.

I've heard about left handed players playing right handed from the start, and it helps them become Ambidextrous...lol
I know Dave Mustaine is left handed, but plays right handed.
( He said that In a interview I saw, I could be wrong but im pretty positive )

Does no one else in this thread like ESP guitars ?
I never liked ibanez that much, I always found them felling rather "cheap " in my hands.
even When I played a brand new 1300$ ibanez 7 string I found I liked 7 string Schecter and Esp guitars from the PRice 600-900 that I liked A lot more, And played and sounded better. ( personal Opinion)
SO personally I wouldn't go Ibanez unless you're spending more money.

I Feel like im the only one who isn't a big Ibanez fan, I like some of the really nice 7 string Schecters...THe ones that cost 1500-2200$ ( brand new) haven't been able to try them out but they look nice. ahha.

')