Is this a good idea?

implicit

Reaction score
there's a guy near me with an rg465m in soda blue, would it be worth trading with my gibson sg special? that is assuming that he balanced the difference in value with cash/gadgets/etc.

what are your opinions of the rg465m? good axe or firewood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

implicit

Reaction score
one of these:

RGR465M_SOB.jpg

implicit

Reaction score
black. typical sg special colour.

what makes it firewood? anything in specific?

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Firewood. RG isn't worth half as much as ur SG special, and the Gibson is a better all-rounder. BTW what colour is ur sg?

Please explain your train of thought as to this "Firewood".

I've owned one and they are pretty good, far from firewood IMO. They came stock with a D-Activator & Air Norton S. Think Ibanez would load a guitar with DiMarzios as stock if it was "Firewood".

But as Everything on the Internet. This is just one persons opinion.

OP. Honestly it depends on what your looking for in a guitar and if YOU think its worth it. Personally I'd say go for it. The RG465M was a limited run and you can find a SG Special anywhere, any day of the week.

implicit

Reaction score
OP. Honestly it depends on what your looking for in a guitar and if YOU think its worth it. Personally I'd say go for it. The RG465M was a limited run and you can find a SG Special anywhere, any day of the week.

tbh it's spur of moment GAS, but i do think the rg465 looks great (the reverse headstock is killer) and it's pickups are definitely great.

have you ever played/had any experience with one?

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
Please explain your train of thought as to this "Firewood".

I've owned one and they are pretty good, far from firewood IMO. They came stock with a D-Activator & Air Norton S. Think Ibanez would load a guitar with DiMarzios as stock if it was "Firewood".

But as Everything on the Internet. This is just one persons opinion.

Just cause im a teenager doesn't mean a can't give advice. My mate's got an RG and its a complete crapbox... maybe that one's just a dud... but i'd never play an RG again.

drgamble

Reaction score
Just cause im a teenager doesn't mean a can't give advice. My mate's got an RG and its a complete crapbox... maybe that one's just a dud... but i'd never play an RG again.

You are assuming that all RGs are created equally. I would say that is certainly not true. The same goes for Gibson SGs. I've never played one of the RGs that the OP is asking about, but I can certainly say that playing a budget RG and comparing it to a higher end RG is a little bit presumptive on your part. Heck, a Jem is just a custom RG with a monkey grip and I would not call that firewood.

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
You are assuming that all RGs are created equally. I would say that is certainly not true. The same goes for Gibson SGs. I've never played one of the RGs that the OP is asking about, but I can certainly say that playing a budget RG and comparing it to a higher end RG is a little bit presumptive on your part. Heck, a Jem is just a custom RG with a monkey grip and I would not call that firewood.
Ive got an epi sg and that slays my friends rg
and no, this one isn't a low-end one, its an RG350MZ, but i really, really hate it. The only good thing about it is the coil splitting, the pickups are pretty good, everything else is rubbish. The floyd sucks and the locking nut doesn't even work. Keeps going out of tune. I like the look, hate the sound. But that's just my opinion.

implicit

Reaction score
ahh ok, cool. thanks for the feedback man, i think i'm sold on this guitar :yesway:

i'll contact the guy and see if i can run my fingers over it at some point in the near future, try before buy is a must.
EDIT: try before trade is a must

AxeHappy

Reaction score
As I guitar teacher I see a lot of low end/starter guitars so my opinion comes from seeing/touching/playing/evaluating a lot of these types of guitars.

The RG465 will destroy an Epiphone..."Special" (Pretty much the lowest of the low Epihones) in every single way.

Also:
An RG 350MZ us in EVERY WAY a low-end Ibanez guitar. And from what I've seen I'd still much rather play that than an SG Special.

I'd rather play a GRG170 (GIO) than an SG Special.

Trade it for the RG and be happy.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^I'd agree with you, but he said he's getting a GIBSON SG Special. :)

But the SG Special is a bottom-of-the-line Gibson, and the RG465 is a mid-high-level Ibby.

broj15

Reaction score
and no, this one isn't a low-end one, its an RG350MZ, but i really, really hate it. The only good thing about it is the coil splitting, the pickups are pretty good, everything else is rubbish. The floyd sucks and the locking nut doesn't even work. Keeps going out of tune. I like the look, hate the sound. But that's just my opinion.

While that isn't a low end axe it is definitely what I would consider a budget model compared to some RG's on the market. Making such a blanket statement and presenting it as fact could probably account for your red rep bar.

Also, no one said that you couldn't give advice because your a teenager, however I will say that with an additude like that (meaning how defensive you got even though no one provoked you) you probably won't last long around here :noway:

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
While that isn't a low end axe it is definitely what I would consider a budget model compared to some RG's on the market. Making such a blanket statement and presenting it as fact could probably account for your red rep bar.

Also, no one said that you couldn't give advice because your a teenager, however I will say that with an additude like that (meaning how defensive you got even though no one provoked you) you probably won't last long around here :noway:
I'm just saying... i like SGs better than RGs. I had a bad experience with RGs. In my opinion my epi SG-310 slays my friends Ibby RG350MZ. Ok? I'm allowed to not like something for what it is in my opinion, because its my opinion.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score

Perhaps your friend is incapable of maintaining his guitar. The general opinion on RGs is positive. Your friend's probably sucks because he isnt setting it up right.

I'm just saying... i like SGs better than RGs. I had a bad experience with RGs. In my opinion my epi SG-310 slays my friends Ibby RG350MZ. Ok? I'm allowed to not like something for what it is in my opinion, because its my opinion.

Okay we get it. You dont like RGs. No one fucking cares douche bag.

Anyways, i would go for it. Looks like a nice guitar. Hope it works out for you.

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
Perhaps your friend is incapable of maintaining his guitar. The general opinion on RGs is positive. Your friend's probably sucks because he isnt setting it up right.

Okay we get it. You dont like RGs. No one fucking cares douche bag.

Anyways, i would go for it. Looks like a nice guitar. Hope it works out for you.
Jesus christ i didn't come here to start an argument
this is fucking insane

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
^
It was actually the words not about the RG that were most offensive :rant: lets try to stay on track though. This is about implicit buying an RG not black43 being an asshole :lol:

Latest posts