Is this a steal? should i go for it?!!!

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have never bought a tube amp or a really good cab (all i have is a Line 6 spider IV) because i have only been only playing for 2 years. I wanna get into the tube amp game and it seems that most of my favorite guitarists use mesa boogies.

Here is an ad I have found on a local website for trading/selling equipment:

Marshall 4x12 / Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50W (Series 2) | amplificateurs, pédales | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

if the link doesn't work, here is what is being sold:

- Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head 50W (Series 2)
- Marshall 4x12 1960A JCM 900 Lead - Made in England:
* Price: $450

The owner also mentions that both units are in good condition.

I play heavy metal and i play in my bedroom, but i am able to crank the volume to pretty good volumes.

Obviously, i will try before i buy, but do you guys think i should go for it? is this a steal?

Thank you very much, i look forward to your responses and stay metal!!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

itsallinmyh3ad

...Made me do it.
Reaction score
Dude, that's a steal. Get it! I had one a long time ago, and the bedroom volumes are very manageable.

Edit - Just looked at the ad, and he's asking $450 for the cab, and $800 for the head. It's about the going rate, even though I've seen those cabs as low as $250

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that price is a bit high for the head. The series 2 is what you want though if you're interested in a Single Rectifier. Those sold new for about $1100. If you look at completed listings on Ebay you'll see that they regularly sell in pretty decent condition for between $500 - $700.

Splenetic

Reaction score
He's selling the cab for 450 and the recto for 800...not both for 450 lol.

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Dude, that's a steal. Get it! I had one a long time ago, and the bedroom volumes are very manageable.

Edit - Just looked at the ad, and he's asking $450 for the cab, and $800 for the head. It's about the going rate, even though I've seen those cabs as low as $250

yeah i just re-read the ad... that was a little misleading, i thought it was both for $450 ahah! well, i think i will still try it and maybe i will attempt to negotiate!

Thanks for your input dude!! :)

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
He's selling the cab for 450 and the recto for 800...not both for 450 lol.

yeah lol i misread, sorry about that guys ahah.

other than my mistake, are these prices good? cause his stack is quite interesting to me; i don't want anything too big or complicated.

thanks for your input!

vick1000

Reaction score
The head for $450 would be great, misleading listing there. They go for $500-$700 on a regular basis.

Splenetic

Reaction score
The recto is a good price. We're in Canada, as such we don't always get deals quite as good as our friends down south, not to mention the currency rate difference as well.

The cab.... I'd keep looking at 450.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
That's not a bad deal on the head due to your location. I've seen a few of those go as low as $500 down here though :eek:

I bought my old JCM900 cab for $175, FWIW. $450 is a stretch IMO I don't think I'd go more than $300 for one since there are so many out there, you know?

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
That's a very good price, but I'm just not a fan of Marshall cabs at all. You should definitely jump on the deal, but if it were me I would resell the cab and try to find a 2x12 or 4x12 rectifier cab.

Neoneuron

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Marshall cabs with Mesa heads. They always seem to flub the low end. 50watts is perfect for bedroom use and should allow you to drive it a little without blowing your head off. Keep in mind that to get the crisper response needed for many types of metal you'll need an overdrive pedal or boost in front of the amp. Even with silicone diode tracking and crisp AC supply the recto won't respond like the line6. You have to dig into it to get some response. So don't be surprised if you're initially disappointed if you're just trying your guitar right into the head