Is this feasible? Mikro bass question...

• Thread starter xtrustisyoursx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
After reading a previous thread, I've been toying with an idea. Forgive me if this has been posted before. I searched, and didn't find anything.

How feasible/worthwhile would it be to buy one of these Buy Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short-Scale Bass Guitar | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend
and re-route it for a guitar size pickup (something without poles obviously, so there would be no alignment issues). Then tune it F#-B-E-A (like the bottom of an 8 string guitar, with the appropriate strings of course). Do you think this could work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
for an open note sure but i have a hunch the frets would not line up to sound the correct or intended note because they are at different intervals, also it would probably get worst as you travel up the neck... just a hunch, not to mention the length of guitar strings vs bass strings. seems like a lot of work for half of a cheap 8 string. no offense, just being honest

plyta

Rusty spoon...
Reaction score
for an open note sure but i have a hunch the frets would not line up to sound the correct or intended note because they are at different intervals, also it would probably get worst as you travel up the neck... just a hunch, not to mention the length of guitar strings vs bass strings. seems like a lot of work for half of a cheap 8 string. no offense, just being honest

Don't understand a thing in this post :scratch:

The only problems I see:

1) odd string spacing
2) pickups need replacing (routing-filling)
3) bridge placement might have insufficient intonation for thinner guitar strings, bridge plate might need to be moved forward.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Don't understand a thing in this post :scratch:

The only problems I see:

1) odd string spacing
2) pickups need replacing (routing-filling)
3) bridge placement might have insufficient intonation for thinner guitar strings, bridge plate might need to be moved forward.

yeah, don't get that post either. the pickup thing is basically my question. if the work needed to redo the pickup situation would be worth it.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
being someone who likes to try stuff i'd say this :

the frets are a lot bigger on a Bass than on a guitar, so i'd go (if feasible) with fretless, or experiment with the frets already in place.

there will be an issue with the tuners / bridge since the strings & hence string tension are different, so you may have to replace those.

RE-routing & new pickup...

Overall, it is an awful lot of work, time and money for something which may not work. $170 for the bass, maybe another $200 for the gear to swap around...keep your hard earned green my friend and look out for a cheap(ish) ESP LTD 408 or SC-608

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
being someone who likes to try stuff i'd say this :

the frets are a lot bigger on a Bass than on a guitar, so i'd go (if feasible) with fretless, or experiment with the frets already in place.

there will be an issue with the tuners / bridge since the strings & hence string tension are different, so you may have to replace those.

RE-routing & new pickup...

Overall, it is an awful lot of work, time and money for something which may not work. $170 for the bass, maybe another $200 for the gear to swap around...keep your hard earned green my friend and look out for a cheap(ish) ESP LTD 408 or SC-608

this is only a step higher than it would normally be tuned, keep in mind. and since it's only an inch an a half longer than a baritone scale, I think it could handle the smaller strings. Imagine like a 74 -52-42-32 set

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
well, baritone scale (from what i gather) is anything > 25.5 or maybe 26. There are guitars available with anything above 26" (ibanez 27", Agile 30") so the Mikro scale isn't anything crazy.

I'll look at my bass tonight and see what would be the impact of trying to fit a guitar string into a bass tuner, maybe it is a goer.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
there is no version it wouldn't work. you don't even need to use guitar strings, you can get some thinner bass strings and put that on there. tuning it up to F standard is just a semitone, and can be done with totally ordinary bass strings TBH, seeing as it's a shorter bass scale.

the only thing i would think about is the pickup. and that's not even hard, you just gotta do it :p

so basically what we're looking at here is a pickup change. thinner strings will help it sound more guitar-like.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Almost sounds like you're looking for an inexpensive pico bass that you'd tune a bit lower... Have you tried talking to Wish http://wishbass.com/ or Krappy?
Was going to suggest a few others, but they'd be a bit more pricey.

')