Isis/Pelican

• Thread starter forelander
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
I like all the atmospheric sludge/post-metal stuff too. I'll post some recommendations when I get home, I know some stuff that hasn't been mentioned here yet.

I've listened to Isis for a few years now, they're really awesome, and perhaps even better live, check them out if you can. The vocals aren't very good though, but they do their job. Panopticon is also one of the best albums I own.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I find Isis and Pelican to be very heavily over-rated and I can't believe anyone would suggest that pelican are an amazing live band, on every occasion I have seen them they have bored me almost to tears.

Probably too "heavy" than most people who are into "post metal" but I find Amenra (Amenra Myspace considerably better than the most other bands lumped into this genre, their "Msss III" record is phenomenal. Jesu are also way more to my liking.

The Ocean are also worth checking out and are supporting Cynic and Opeth later this year in Europe.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like all the atmospheric sludge/post-metal stuff too. I'll post some recommendations when I get home, I know some stuff that hasn't been mentioned here yet.

I've listened to Isis for a few years now, they're really awesome, and perhaps even better live, check them out if you can. The vocals aren't very good though, but they do their job. Panopticon is also one of the best albums I own.

I love Panopticon too?

What did you think of In The Absence Of Truth?
It divided some fans, that's for sure.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
I love Panopticon too?

What did you think of In The Absence Of Truth?
It divided some fans, that's for sure.

I like it, but I don't listen to it very often. I don't know why.

Here's some bands to check out:
-Jesu
-Mare
-Red Sparowes
-Rosetta
-Battle of Mice
-Callisto - though I don't like the christian aspect
-Intronaut - well, I guess it's "progressive sludge" instead of post-metal, but they're awesome
-The Ocean
-Knut
-Giant Squid
-Nadja
-Ghost Brigade - They're pretty new, I've only seen them live once, and they were a nice surprise

Some that were mentioned already:
-Neurosis
-Cult of Luna
-Russian Circles

I really don't like Pelican either. Finding post-metal made me check out post-rock too, and I'm more into post-rock actually. I'm pretty sure it's because there aren't that many good post-metal bands around yet.

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
I find Isis and Pelican to be very heavily over-rated and I can't believe anyone would suggest that pelican are an amazing live band, on every occasion I have seen them they have bored me almost to tears

Sad as I am to say it, I found Isis fairly boring live as well.

As for Isis recommendations if you enjoy more raw, sludge-like post-metal, then I recommend Celestial or Mosquito Control. I personally love Mosquito Control and think the song Relocation Swarm is Isis' best work, but I rarely see it mentioned.

If your more into the atmospheric spacey kinda post metal then Oceanic is probably the Isis' for you.

I have developed a taste for post rock as well, so I may as well mention Explosions in the Sky and 65daysofstatic, who I think are awesome.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I've got one song by Isis on my computer that a mate sent me ages ago, its bloody brilliant, I think its about time I got some more, any recomendations for albums to get?

In The Absence Of Truth is my favourite Isis album, followed by Panopticon. I recommend checking out their DVD as well called Clearing The Eye. It's got random live clips plus a full gig here in Oz.

')