Isolation...

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
<snip>and just a smidge of SSL EQ on the tracks (Hi-mid at 4K, +.25 dB, low at 400 - .75 db), and a dab of room-ish verb.
</snip>

Are you using the Waves SSL, or is it another one? How do you like it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you using the Waves SSL, or is it another one? How do you like it?

It's the Waves. It's very, well, touchy, but does seem to be a reasonably musical EQ. I haven't played with the comp yet.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
It's the Waves. It's very, well, touchy, but does seem to be a reasonably musical EQ. I haven't played with the comp yet.

I've heard lots of good things about it (except the people that compare it side by side to a hardware SSL). I just can't bring myself to spend the $1.5k on it yet. Let me know what you think of the comp when you get to play with it...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's down to about $750 in some places. I'll let you know about the comps after I do some bass work - ReaComp works great for drums and uses about 1/20 the resources, so I haven't been chomping to try the SSLs yet...

Back on the original topic, I will try and keep this thread going through the recording process so I can give a solid evaluation of the AxeTrak. I'll tell you this much, though - so far I definitely prefer it to any cab model or speaker sim I've used...

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
It's down to about $750 in some places. I'll let you know about the comps after I do some bass work - ReaComp works great for drums and uses about 1/20 the resources, so I haven't been chomping to try the SSLs yet...

It's $750 for Native, $1,500 for TDM. /end hijack :)

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hell, no. it's tiny - about the height of a mini-tower computer, but not as deep. It sounds so much better than the Randall I can't even begin to compare the two...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Does this one resemble a fridge?

axetrak1.jpg

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Give me a break, will ya - I've got drum tracks to do first. :lol:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Thread not entirely over yet. I just ordered one of these for myself. My setup will be quite a bit different, however. I'll be using this with my Axe-FX and a Rocktron Velocity 100 power amp. I thought about going with a Mesa 20/20 power amp, but other Axe-FX owners have had bad experiences with that combo. Plus, the Axe-FX has parameters to control simulated tube power section characteristics, so I really don't want a power amp that colors the sound beyond that, and you don't want a massively powerful amp for the Axe Trak, unless you like blowing fuses.

Anyway, my setup will be Axe-FX pre-effects and amp sim --> effects loop out --> Velocity --> Axe Trak --> effects loop in --> Axe-FX post-EQ and effects --> mixing board. I like to live dangerous and print my effects to the recording. :)

This could be interesting. Haven't received either the Axe Trak or Velocity yet, but shouldn't be too long.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it could be very interesting to see how it works out. Plus, we might like to A/B them, since we have the old version and you'll have the new one...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
As a totally unrelated aside, I've been reading up on mic theory lately, and I TOTALLY want to grab a Presonus Fiirepod and start tracking drums. :/ After the holidays...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a totally unrelated aside, I've been reading up on mic theory lately, and I TOTALLY want to grab a Presonus Fiirepod and start tracking drums. :/ After the holidays...

Really? Wanna come down to VA and track some for me? I'm sick of it. :lol:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it could be very interesting to see how it works out. Plus, we might like to A/B them, since we have the old version and you'll have the new one...

That will be interesting to compare. The new version has a different speaker and a high-frequency rolloff switch (not sure why you'd want that... :scratch: ).

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
That will be interesting to compare. The new version has a different speaker and a high-frequency rolloff switch (not sure why you'd want that... :scratch: ).

Maybe they found the new speaker needed it. The old speaker needs a low frequency rolloff switch. :lol:

')