Isolation...

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Maybe they found the new speaker needed it. The old speaker needs a low frequency rolloff switch. :lol:

Is it that bassy? The clip had some girth to it, but it didn't sound untamed.

Thou isocab hath been dubbed "Six inches of doom":metal:

I have a pair of boxers that say that:ugh:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol:

I cut some bass from the recording. It's pretty bassy, especially considering how bright my sound is normally...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Really? Wanna come down to VA and track some for me? I'm sick of it. :lol:

Fuck, if I had the vacation time and you could get me a couch to crash on and an occasional bourbon on the rocks, I'd totallly take you up on that. :lol:

Twisted as this sounds, I actually really enjoy recording.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck, if I had the vacation time and you could get me a couch to crash on and an occasional bourbon on the rocks, I'd totallly take you up on that. :lol:

Anytime you want to come down, I have a guest room with a networked computer sitting in it. I may even have some alcohol somewhere. :lol:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got my Axe Trak today. Bloody hell!

I was not prepared for frightening crush of sound that came out of my monitors after I hooked it up. As I think I posted before, I'm using it and a Rocktron Velocity 100 power amp in the FX loop of my Axe-FX, and all I did to start with was insert an FX loop module into one of my heavy gain patches where the cabinet simulator module had been. Saving that modified patch to the next spot allows me to A/B the difference very quickly. The old version sounded heavy to my ears, but now it sounds totally flat and two-dimensional compared to the version with the Axe-FX. Better still, the new version sounds like a real amp, with the balls and complexity you'd want.

The overall sound is considerably different, which isn't surprising. Using the Axe Trak with a transformer to plug it into the 1/4" FX Return on the Axe-FX probably adds a lot more treble than the way eaeolian uses it directly into the board with the mic cable. I actually use the high-frequency rolloff switch on my Axe Trak. That said, the patch I'm trying it with is pretty trebly, but I think part of it is simply that the real speaker adds so much more presence and bite to the sound compared to the direct input, that it seems more trebly than it is. I'm definitely going to have to work more on EQ settings and such, but this gets my highest recommendation. As a bonus, I don't think that the Axe Trak puts out that much sound on its own--it doesn't get in the way of my monitors at all. The annoyingly loud cooling fan on the Rocktron Velocity, on the other hand...

If you are recording with a PODxt or such, you really ought to think about going this route. It makes a huge difference.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score

:agreed:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
What does the new line run (e said there were two models)

Currently, the company offers a guitar and a bass model. Here's the web site:

AxeTrak Isolation Cabinets- The ultimate guitar recording device for professional and home recording

Eaeolian is referring to a previous version of the guitar model, which had a different speaker that was supposedly more bass-heavy than the current version. JLH Products no longer offers the previous version, but you can find them used on eBay and such.

I bought mine new for $399.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Omg there is a 7string f series on the top :yum:

Cool. I wonder how the bass one would sound with a guitar amp. And of course the requisite posting of clips will insue?

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Oh, not that excuse.

I cant post clips, I have a job.
I cant post clips, I have a girlfriend.
I cant post clips, Im getting married tomorrow.
I cant post clips, I has no arms.

DO IT!!!!!!POST CLIPS NOW!!

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, not that excuse.

I cant post clips, I have a job.
I cant post clips, I have a girlfriend.
I cant post clips, Im getting married tomorrow.
I cant post clips, I has no arms.

DO IT!!!!!!POST CLIPS NOW!!

Got a couple of clips on my Soundclick page:

Music page of Council of One - MP3 music page on SoundClick

"Surfing Better" versions 1 and 2 are recorded with the Axe Trak together with my Axe-FX, while the earlier track "Surfing Unsteadily" was recorded using the same backing track but with the cabinet simulator on the Axe-FX. The notes on my Soundclick page explain the recording differences between Versions 1 and 2, but either way I think it's going to take awhile to get my Axe-FX patches modified to work properly with the Axe Trak. The Axe Trak adds a lot more complexity and "three-dimensionality" to the sound, but it also brings out some harshness in the patch I used as a base (a much smoother, more evolved version of the one on "Surfing Unsteadily"), which was very smooth using the cabinet simulator, and I need to fine tune things a LOT.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Sounds really solid. i like the presence it has on the midrange, but I would love to be able to put the mic in a different location on one of these.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm tellin' ya, these things deserve the excellent review GP gave 'em. When I do some real album tracks with it, I'll post some clips...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We'll see. I'm taking direct tracks for re-amping, but I did a bunch of scratch stuff with it, and it's very close to what I got last time recorded with a 4x12...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
312Product.jpg

Does this guy just shit cool ideas? :eek:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ One of the other companies (Demeter?) does that, too. Great idea...

')